Norwich Away

DarkFruitsRam7

44 minutes ago, NorfolkRam said:

Unfortunately it's true. Spoke to the owner last year before i got the train for the Ipswich game and apparently it was Ipswich Forest and Leeds fans that caused too much trouble (one, i think he said Leeds fan) threatened to rape a barmaid so they packed it in and have had more locals in since so best decision they made.

If that is true some people are real dick eds. I prefer to go in mixed fans pubs there is a bit more maturity in them. Can be a bit of a gamble if you haven’t been before and it hasn’t been reccomend.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Aye, just don't keep the progression going where you go from 14 to 18+ stone and 10 pints is genuinely the warm up ?. I was as thin as a rake 18-21 and progressively filled out in my 20s then got fat from late 20s onwards. Not good!

I doubt I could manage 10 pints but I’m definitely heading to 18 stone unless I do something about it.

54 minutes ago, SillyBilly said:

Aye, just don't keep the progression going where you go from 14 to 18+ stone and 10 pints is genuinely the warm up ?. I was as thin as a rake 18-21 and progressively filled out in my 20s then got fat from late 20s onwards. Not good!

I'm 5'9, so I'm eating an amount of food that would really piss vegans off every day.

Trouble is, like now, i havent been to the gym for 2 weeks because of increased working hours and the extras you have to do out of work this time of year. Still eating the same amount though ?.

So yeah, I hear you. And I would hate to get to the stage where 10 pints is a warm up. Need to be on some good money to have a night out.

1 hour ago, NorfolkRam said:

i may do a ring round on monday when i'm at work though and try and get a list posted of who will let fans in and who won't!

I'm relying on you. Do not let me down.

Or else.

I won't know where to drink.

31 minutes ago, Norman said:

I'm 5'9, so I'm eating an amount of food that would really piss vegans off every day.

Trouble is, like now, i havent been to the gym for 2 weeks because of increased working hours and the extras you have to do out of work this time of year. Still eating the same amount though ?.

So yeah, I hear you. And I would hate to get to the stage where 10 pints is a warm up. Need to be on some good money to have a night out.

Me and my old drinking buddies have what we call the "slack seven", typically sink 7 in a couple of hours (15-20 mins a pint seems to be our speed) and call it a night. Just enough to get the banal conversation interesting, no hangover and not too much of a drain on the purse. I save up the 3 extra pints in lieu for xmas, holidays etc.

2 hours ago, NorfolkRam said:

Depends how early you plan on getting there and how far you're willing to walk.

Not many decent pubs near the ground and most won't let you in but about15 minute walk from the station is the Ribs Of Beef, very nice pub and should let away fans in but not sure yet. i may do a ring round on monday when i'm at work though and try and get a list posted of who will let fans in and who won't!

Always willing to walk to a decent pub. Especially away from home where I like to be in a pub with decent locals and decent beer. A bit like the Brunny etc I suppose as decent away fans get to meet decent locals with decent beer in a decent pub. Decent eh?! And we’re spoilt that it’s 2 mins from the station. No offence to our more ‘lively’ fans but I can wait to meet them at the ground and I prefer a more relaxed pint beforehand.

The coach and horses is a nice mixed supporters pub just behind train station. Come out the station, turn right, up small hill (for East Anglia) and it's there on the left. Decent food too, hot dogs, chillie con carne etc.

If you've arrived early then Murderers Arms in town is a proper pub in town but allow time for stomp/taxi back to Carrot Road.

4 hours ago, NorfolkRam said:

Last I heard there isn't an away pub but I'll let you know when I find one that lets away fans in. If in doubt i'll probably message your old man!

Sounds good pal, thanks. Are you going to the game? Drop us a message if you fancy a pint beforehand, whichever pub we end up in. 

3 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Me and my old drinking buddies have what we call the "slack seven", typically sink 7 in a couple of hours (15-20 mins a pint seems to be our speed) and call it a night. Just enough to get the banal conversation interesting, no hangover and not too much of a drain on the purse. I save up the 3 extra pints in lieu for xmas, holidays etc.

No hangover?! What you on? Skol?

Seven pints in 2 hours is ferocious!! And still £25 - £30.

1 hour ago, Franks Tanked said:

The coach and horses is a nice mixed supporters pub just behind train station. Come out the station, turn right, up small hill (for East Anglia) and it's there on the left. Decent food too, hot dogs, chillie con carne etc.

If you've arrived early then Murderers Arms in town is a proper pub in town but allow time for stomp/taxi back to Carrot Road.

Coach is a great pub but very busy. Easy to get to. Used to be my local. Food is spot on

On 20/12/2018 at 19:14, Norman said:

I know it's a bit tongue in cheek, but when I was 18-21 and 9 stone in weight, I'd have 4 or 5 and be pissed, feel sick etc. Blamed it on wheat intolerance or whatever else I could lol.

Now I'm 30, and I've been to the gym a lot and weigh 14 stone. 10 pints and I can still keep going. And it's not a good thing. Would love to get pissed on 4 pints now.

I’m a lightweight and all my mates take the mick because of it... jokes on them though, takes them about £40 to get drunk and I can do it for a tenner ?

8 hours ago, NorfolkRam said:

Coach is a great pub but very busy. Easy to get to. Used to be my local. Food is spot on

Is The Murderers walkable from station and back to the ground? I'm coming up from Stowmarket Suffolk with my brother and 72 year old dad. He's fairly fit for his age. 

If not other recommendations greatly received for quieter less busy/Chavvy pubs.

Right. Had a bit of a ring round and tried to get some variety so I'll list below where you can go. I know a lot of the pubs closer (queen of iceni, compleat angler) won't allow away fans in and will (in QOI case) as for match ticket before letting you in. Fortunately all the ones I check do allowed away fans and are happy for us to wear colours, a couple did mention having security and not to be too rowdy but should be an issue for sensible fans! 

Stadia - top of Prince of wales

5 min walk. Sports bar/club so one for the younger lads, never been myself though I hear they have a charity box for my daughter so I like them! ? Not open atm so not sure if they will allow away fans but I'll let yall know when I hear. 

Ribs of beef - wensum Street. 

Proper drinking pub, ie real ales, if you like to taste a decent beer then this is the one for you although it's a bit of a walk, I'd say 29 min from the station

Nelson hotel - Prince of Wales road

Hotel bar but opposite the station, if you remember the compleat angler, its down some stairs opposite that on the river. 

Coach and horses - Thorpe road

Cracking pub, great location, behind the station and easy to get to the ground (just keep walking away from the station, circle round and you'll be at the away end.) also amazing food and beers, only downside is it gets mega busy (due to popularity) so get in early if you wanna get to the bar! 

Murderers - timber Hill (City centre) 

In the city so a fair walk (15 min) up hill but you can get a cut through to the stadium so not too bad. Great pub though, bit cramped but I like it.

Woolpack - golden ball street

City centre again but outskirts, go straight out the station towards the city, keep to the left and when you get to the top of the hill its there, 10 min walk. Stadium easy to get to from there. Used to be a sports bar but more food based now, still plenty of screens and room, think its a green king but not sure but that's the feel so expect that style. 

Hope this helps. If anyone wants more advice on location and ease of access to carrah rud then let me know and I'll do me best though most will have a sea of fans directing you. 

On 22/12/2018 at 06:58, Franks Tanked said:

Is The Murderers walkable from station and back to the ground? I'm coming up from Stowmarket Suffolk with my brother and 72 year old dad. He's fairly fit for his age. 

If not other recommendations greatly received for quieter less busy/Chavvy pubs.

It's doable but up hill to get there(norfolk hills ain't too bad mind) Nelson hotel would be easiest for your old man but it's a hotel, if you want a quieter pub pub then I could call the jubilee, its a corner pub that isn't too far? 

38 minutes ago, NorfolkRam said:

Right. Had a bit of a ring round and tried to get some variety so I'll list below where you can go. I know a lot of the pubs closer (queen of iceni, compleat angler) won't allow away fans in and will (in QOI case) as for match ticket before letting you in. Fortunately all the ones I check do allowed away fans and are happy for us to wear colours, a couple did mention having security and not to be too rowdy but should be an issue for sensible fans! 

5 min walk. Sports bar/club so one for the younger lads, never been myself though I hear they have a charity box for my daughter so I like them! ? Not open atm so not sure if they will allow away fans but I'll let yall know when I hear. 

Proper drinking pub, ie real ales, if you like to taste a decent beer then this is the one for you although it's a bit of a walk, I'd say 29 min from the station

Hotel bar but opposite the station, if you remember the compleat angler, its down some stairs opposite that on the river. 

Cracking pub, great location, behind the station and easy to get to the ground (just keep walking away from the station, circle round and you'll be at the away end.) also amazing food and beers, only downside is it gets mega busy (due to popularity) so get in early if you wanna get to the bar! 

In the city so a fair walk (15 min) up hill but you can get a cut through to the stadium so not too bad. Great pub though, bit cramped but I like it.

City centre again but outskirts, go straight out the station towards the city, keep to the left and when you get to the top of the hill its there, 10 min walk. Stadium easy to get to from there. Used to be a sports bar but more food based now, still plenty of screens and room, think its a green king but not sure but that's the feel so expect that style. 

Hope this helps. If anyone wants more advice on location and ease of access to carrah rud then let me know and I'll do me best though most will have a sea of fans directing you. 

Thanks Norfolk. I would like for us to not be spread apart too much so be good if we all target one pub for a friendly pre match singalong 

5 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Thanks Norfolk. I would like for us to not be spread apart too much so be good if we all target one pub for a friendly pre match singalong 

Would be nice but as there isn't a designated pub (all off these will have home fans in also) I think you'll struggle. Best bet for large groups would likely be the Nelson or woolpack.

Nelson is pretty roomy and has the path outside along the river, easy to get to (think Portman road away and that's your distances Station-pub-ground) woolpack is also pretty roomy inside but does fill up a bit but has a fair amount of space outside and a bug carpack for overflow. Walking distance isn't too bad, further from the station but about the same to the stadium if you know the way! 

1 hour ago, NorfolkRam said:

Great stuff - thanks 

Archived