Sign in to follow this  
therealhantsram

Will Vaulks

9 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Rotherham holding midfielder. Supposedly Derby, Stoke (as if they need more midfielders) and Norwich are interested. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6504691/Will-Vaulks-attracting-Norwich-eye-Rotherham-star-promotion-push.html

We don't need another holding m/f, we need someone with pace, energy and legs, an upgrade on Bryson....

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We don't need another holding m/f, we need someone with pace, energy and legs, an upgrade on Bryson....

Well, as someone else pointed out recently, at the end of this season we will only have Evans and Holmes on the books to fill 3 midfield slots. Sure there is Sibley and Bird as potentials, but they are still both very, very young. 

Vaulks was the best player on the pitch against us by some distance. He also had a blinder when they played Sheff Utd on Sky a few weeks ago. I would have to say on the two occasions I've seen him that he's impressed a lot, but it's not a lot to go on. 

I wouldn't class him as a holding midfielder, he's definitely someone who covers a lot of ground - more a Hendrick/Hughes type midfielder, positionally, than Thorne/Huddlestone. At least in the games I've seen. 

5 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Finding an upgrade on Bryson is extremely difficult- anyone remember midfield last season without him?

The way we play a pressing game means it makes sense to have a passing maestro at DCM and 2 energetic players in front of him, one to break up play and one to create.

You will note that Sarri uses Kante in a more advanced role now and Southgate used Delph to similar effect recently.  

1 hour ago, sage said:

The way we play a pressing game means it makes sense to have a passing maestro at DCM and 2 energetic players in front of him, one to break up play and one to create.

You will note that Sarri uses Kante in a more advanced role now and Southgate used Delph to similar effect recently.  

I think Evans will be that maestro at CDM eventually so its the 2 roles in front of him that we need to look at strengthening

31 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

I think Evans will be that maestro at CDM eventually so its the 2 roles in front of him that we need to look at strengthening

Errrr...that's the point I was making re this signing....he would play in CM not CDM

54 minutes ago, sage said:

Errrr...that's the point I was making re this signing....he would play in CM not CDM

I didnt disagree, was just stating I think Evans will play the CDM role...if Vaulks can play in the advanced 2 thats good if we sign him

Strange one. He played at Falkirk in the 2nd tier before Rotherham and didn't really make any waves in Scotish football. 

He must of improved in the last couple of seasons.