Would the real Derby County please stand up

G STAR RAM

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Do we have a true identity yet? No, not yet. I think we have a vision but maybe not the right pieces to make that happen yet. 

I've seen a few posts from red dogs saying they expected more from us and am wondering where that expectation came from. Have 3 or 4 good televised matches made us look much better than we are to outsiders? I would agree. The Man U and Chelsea games have probably created a false reality. 

Halfway through the season and I'd say we have had 5 or 6 very good performances, and probably about the same number of average and poor performances. Agreed and probably expected.

Our performances haven't been consistent, neither have the tactics nor personnel. Goes back to point 1, we don't really have the personnel to deliver what he is striving for. This means that tactics change to a degree to suit the playing staff we have. He has made some bad calls on tactics but that is mainly based on hindsight and that is not fair. He is still finding his feet and maybe trying to be too clever. 

Players can go from starting one week to not being in the squad the next. Does Lampard not know his best team or are we a 'horses for courses' team? See above. 

I tend to stay out of these debates now and don't comment too much on match day threads. Last season was worse, we were either saints or sinners and all based on the last 90 mins. This season some of us have got carried away with a few good performances and a few good segments in games. We are a focus for the media and Frank is their darling, so we are mainly fed positive stuff. 

For me personally, the for 20/30 mins against Boro is what he is trying to achieve footballing wise. I loved that more than anything else this season. Looking at where we are, I think we are slight over achieving. Still some major flaws in the squad but Rome was not built in a day.

Saved me writing a response, Angry. 

@G STAR RAM I would have said something along these lines, but more long winded and it would have made less sense. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m not sure what some fans expectations are, one week they are calling out that performances levels will dip, the next questioning why the tactics and personnel are inconsistent.

Lampard took over an aging squad that had being moulded into playing a certain type of football, his objective for the season was to bring the average age down, getting us playing fast attractive football and continue to challenge for the play offs. Add to this, he had to deal with losing his top goal scorer, albeit this provided him with funds to reinvest.

Fast forward a whole 5 months, and we have a team that are tying to play football the right way, with fast flowing attractive football. Yes it’s inconsistent, even Pep took his time to implement his football, Klopp took two seasons, and here we are questioning if we are a horse for courses (whatever that is) team. In addition., he has brought the average age down by 3 years, we are sitting in the play offs, knocked Man Utd out the cup and came close to doing the same to Chelsea.

My expectations are bring exceeded, I thought it may be a season of transition, where FL tried to get us back playing the right way, what he has done so far should be commended, true identity ? Jesus I thought we had got away from this Derby way rubbish and trying to put a identity against the team, FL needs to be given time to re-establish the club and rectify the damage of previous regimes, not mood swings when he try’s to change something for the better and it might not work.

Wish I’d not revisited the forum now, I’m not going to impose a self ban from posting, however I now realise why I don’t visit as much ?

14 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

I’m not sure what some fans expectations are, one week they are calling out that performances levels will dip, the next questioning why the tactics and personnel are inconsistent.

Lampard took over an aging squad that had being moulded into playing a certain type of football, his objective for the season was to bring the average age down, getting us playing fast attractive football and continue to challenge for the play offs. Add to this, he had to deal with losing his top goal scorer, albeit this provided him with funds to reinvest.

Fast forward a whole 5 months, and we have a team that are tying to play football the right way, with fast flowing attractive football. Yes it’s inconsistent, even Pep took his time to implement his football, Klopp took two seasons, and here we are questioning if we are a horse for courses (whatever that is) team. In addition., he has brought the average age down by 3 years, we are sitting in the play offs, knocked Man Utd out the cup and came close to doing the same to Chelsea.

My expectations are bring exceeded, I thought it may be a season of transition, where FL tried to get us back playing the right way, what he has done so far should be commended, true identity ? Jesus I thought we had got away from this Derby way rubbish and trying to put a identity against the team, FL needs to be given time to re-establish the club and rectify the damage of previous regimes, not mood swings when he try’s to change something for the better and it might not work.

Wish I’d not revisited the forum now, I’m not going to impose a self ban from posting, however I now realise why I don’t visit as much ?

Well you seem to have completely ignored the content of my post and just made up your own story about what I am asking.

Absolutely no mention of my, or other Derby fans, expectations.

Maybe read posts first rather than guessing at what is being said and then maybe you won't get so wound up!

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well you seem to have completely ignored the content of my post and just made up your own story about what I am asking.

Absolutely no mention of my, or other Derby fans, expectations.

Maybe read posts first rather than guessing at what is being said and then maybe you won't get so wound up!

Of course I read your post, and my reply was designed to bring out a pre emptive strike. 

I was of course referring to your inconsistency when I thinking of your other posts, like the one below.

“Now this is not a criticism, we are clearly a work in progress and I, as much as anyone, am enjoying the transition.

I just hope that Mel is not prone to the mood swings that a lot of our fans are when performance levels drop!”

I mean it wasn’t so long ago you were questioning the signings

“Wonder if MM will be prepared to give him money when 2 of his 'big money' summer signings are sat on the bench and another isn't even making the squad”

Maybe you just like to create the controversy, or spark debate, it just appears that you have a lot of inconsistent posts depending what week it is or you are replying to. Maybe it’s just my interpretation, but one week calling out fans mood swings about inconsistent performances and then creating a thread on that very same subject does make me wonder ?

As for wound up, no not at all, I don’t come on this forum as much solely because of posts like yours yes, not because it winds me up though but you spend so long having to trawl through the posts and getting to know the posters style to understand if it’s worth replying to, it was getting boring.

Having said that, I have added to posts into that very same category for which I apologise, therefore I will impose a self ban, one that I will keep to and wish you a happy Xmas. UTR ??

23 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Before I start, just want to make clear this is not a critical thread, or a knee jerk reaction to last night  (think a draw was a reasonable result) just looking for people's views!

Just wondered what sort of team people think we are and what sort of team we want to be?

Do we have a true identity yet?

I've seen a few posts from red dogs saying they expected more from us and am wondering where that expectation came from. Have 3 or 4 good televised matches made us look much better than we are to outsiders?

Halfway through the season and I'd say we have had 5 or 6 very good performances, and probably about the same number of average and poor performances.

Our performances haven't been consistent, neither have the tactics nor personnel. 

Players can go from starting one week to not being in the squad the next. Does Lampard not know his best team or are we a 'horses for courses' team?

The expectations of Forest fans to have thought Derby would have been better must be obvious. We are above them in the league and were at home. Rightly they should have expected a very tough task to have gotten anything from the game. In reality, they played no better than average and got a point. So obviously would be unimpressed with our showing 

I think what we need to remember in all this is the lack of experience on and off the pitch. I think that shows in our performances, selections and substitutions.

I firmly believe Lampard has a vision of what he wants us to be. It has been seen in spells but I do partly wonder if we aren't trying to find that balance between attack and defence still, that has better suited against the more physical sides. Expectations have been raised because when we play well, we play very well, the kind of stuff Mac1 was lauded for. And I hardly think people can be critical of us using loans when loans were pivotal for Mac1!

Regardless of the performance, personnel or tactics, I do see that desire, determination to keep going, there does seem to be an improved mentality.

What you would probably expect for the next half of the season is the team to become more settled and that identity to shine through more.

In some ways it is a bit like Emery at Arsenal. They are yet to be winning at half time in the league!

14 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Of course I read your post, and my reply was designed to bring out a pre emptive strike. 

I was of course referring to your inconsistency when I thinking of your other posts, like the one below.

“Now this is not a criticism, we are clearly a work in progress and I, as much as anyone, am enjoying the transition.

I just hope that Mel is not prone to the mood swings that a lot of our fans are when performance levels drop!”

I mean it wasn’t so long ago you were questioning the signings

“Wonder if MM will be prepared to give him money when 2 of his 'big money' summer signings are sat on the bench and another isn't even making the squad”

Maybe you just like to create the controversy, or spark debate, it just appears that you have a lot of inconsistent posts depending what week it is or you are replying to. Maybe it’s just my interpretation, but one week calling out fans mood swings about inconsistent performances and then creating a thread on that very same subject does make me wonder ?

As for wound up, no not at all, I don’t come on this forum as much solely because of posts like yours yes, not because it winds me up though but you spend so long having to trawl through the posts and getting to know the posters style to understand if it’s worth replying to, it was getting boring.

Having said that, I have added to posts into that very same category for which I apologise, therefore I will impose a self ban, one that I will keep to and wish you a happy Xmas. UTR ??

Once again you seem to have made up your own version of what my posts actually say.

This thread was nothing to do with what I think of team performances, I was asking what style of play and tactics people think we are employing and whether that is what we want to be using or we want a different direction, somehow you have managed to read this as that I'm not happy with performances. 

Also where was I questioning the signings? You've even quoted what I wrote and nowhere does that question the signings, it questions whether MM will fund more signings when the ones he signed in the summer are sat on the bench.

You obviously have a pre conceived idea of what my posts sat so I think you're correct that its probably a boring read, in fact not even sure why you would open up the thread. 

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

27 minutes ago, Doodle said:

The expectations of Forest fans to have thought Derby would have been better must be obvious. We are above them in the league and were at home. Rightly they should have expected a very tough task to have gotten anything from the game. In reality, they played no better than average and got a point. So obviously would be unimpressed with our showing 

It seems to be the way that we played that surprised them though, think they expected us to try and football them off the park, instead we played quite a direct game and got the ball forward for Marriott to chase.

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It seems to be the way that we played that surprised them though, think they expected us to try and football them off the park, instead we played quite a direct game and got the ball forward for Marriott to chase.

A month ago they would have been out footballed. Unfortunately due to injuries and a little lack of form from a couple of our flair players, we are a more workmanlike team at present. Frank seems to be a little conservative of late also, with his selection and substitutions. I hope we go for it a little more on Saturday 

On 18/12/2018 at 20:14, G STAR RAM said:

Before I start, just want to make clear this is not a critical thread, or a knee jerk reaction to last night  (think a draw was a reasonable result) just looking for people's views!

Just wondered what sort of team people think we are and what sort of team we want to be? We are a team under construction. We want to be settled and play attractive energetic football. 

Do we have a true identity yet? No. Unless you believe as Sky do, that Frank defines our identity. 

I've seen a few posts from red dogs saying they expected more from us and am wondering where that expectation came from. Have 3 or 4 good televised matches made us look much better than we are to outsiders? We have shown some breathtakingly good play. Rather than say that shows us as better than we are, it shows what we are capable of. 

Halfway through the season and I'd say we have had 5 or 6 very good performances, and probably about the same number of average and poor performances. About right. We have really good periods in the majority of games.

Our performances haven't been consistent, neither have the tactics nor personnel. Agreed, but we seem to have quite a few injuries which disrupts things. 

Players can go from starting one week to not being in the squad the next. Does Lampard not know his best team or are we a 'horses for courses' team? I see this as attempts to have a plan B. But when plan A is executed so variably you wonder what's the point.

Good set of questions. 

I think it isn't as smooth as we'd like it to be but then the transition from what we were served up last season to what Frank wants us to serve up is a world apart and then some. 

This is a transitional period from one playing style to another (hopefully one we continue with) and from one squad of aging players to a very young squad. 

It's brilliant that we're still in the top 4/5 and have blown teams away this season (I'd include boro in this too, I know we didn't even win but I'm talking performances). People have been pointing to Brentford over the last couple of seasons and how they manage to play nice stuff with young players yet they're very inconsistent. This is us right now. 

11 hours ago, Doodle said:

A month ago they would have been out footballed. Unfortunately due to injuries and a little lack of form from a couple of our flair players, we are a more workmanlike team at present. Frank seems to be a little conservative of late also, with his selection and substitutions. I hope we go for it a little more on Saturday 

Very true and we still have managed 7 points out of a possible 9 in the last 3 games.

This could bode well for the second half of the season, especially as we don't have so many old legs to run out of energy in the long cold winter months (like last year).

We also (I think) have more quality through all the ranks.

Bring in a couple of stars in the January transfer window and who knows.

The next 5 games should pretty much tell us where we are, get through those relatively unscathed and bring on 2019.

Archived