Anti sky sports chants heard in Derby v Forest game

Sexydadbod

1 hour ago, Gritters said:

Also for a long distance fan Sky gives you an opportunity to watch games you normally wouldn’t be able to.

The main % of Derby supporters who go to the games must live within car travelling distance that although inconvenient the rearranged dates and times are doable. The club isn’t going to want to sacrifice huge sums of money to try to satisfy every eventuality. Unfortunately it is the minority that suffers with the rearranged dates.

RamsTV could provide that. Without Sky, the club could earn more money AND the fans could have more Saturday 3pm kickoffs.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, StringerBell said:

Why does that make you laugh? You appear to be implying that Sky customers shouldn't complain, and therefore leaving the Sky TV complaints department to deal exclusively with people who aren't Sky customers?

I take the point that voting with your feet is the best way to get your message across, but thinking a service you use is poo, especially one that has a bit of a monopoly over services, is perfectly normal. I'm just off to file a complaint against a restaurant I've never been to.

That doesn’t make any sense, it isn’t normal at all, and your restaurant analogy doesn’t work either. 

13 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Interestingly... and I quote...

Sky Sports have now admitted that they did dampen the crowd noise when they started chanting this statement. But they went on to say that they did not dampen the chant because of the anti-Sky Sports message but because of the offensive language used within the chants.

If that's the case, can we test the theory by singing "Sky Sports is really rather awful"??

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

RamsTV could provide that. Without Sky, the club could earn more money AND the fans could have more Saturday 3pm kickoffs.

I haven’t seen any figures to compare it with the Sky deal but looking at the latest one I think you might be right although it would be good for us it may not be for the smaller clubs.

3 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I haven’t seen any figures to compare it with the Sky deal but looking at the latest one I think you might be right although it would be good for us it may not be for the smaller clubs.

Championship clubs currently receive £2.3m plus: 

• £100,000 for every home game that a club hosts on Sky Sports,
  • £20,000 extra for Sunday games or £40,000 for Thursday games.
  • Visiting sides are awarded £10,000 per game.

Interestingly, Villa were on TV 16 times during the 16/17 season but only 4 of those at home (equalling only £520k compensation). Barnsley were only on TV twice last season. So that's £2.5m to £3m per club per season, equivalent to £109-130k per home game played (23 total). 

At £5 per game through RamsTV, each club would need only 22-26k viewers to break even. Currently Sky average around 300k per Championship game. If we were able to charge just £1 with all of those viewers, we'd be able to buy an extra Jack Marriott a season. £5 would cover our wage bill. [I know it's unlikely for us to draw in that many viewers]

Add revenue from a different TV deal  which doesn't impact kick off times or restrict the cost/access to RamsTV, and most clubs would surely be better off in every aspect.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Championship clubs currently receive £2.3m plus: 

• £100,000 for every home game that a club hosts on Sky Sports,
  • £20,000 extra for Sunday games or £40,000 for Thursday games.
  • Visiting sides are awarded £10,000 per game.

Interestingly, Villa were on TV 16 times during the 16/17 season but only 4 of those at home (equalling only £520k compensation). Barnsley were only on TV twice last season. So that's £2.5m to £3m per club per season, equivalent to £109-130k per home game played (23 total). 

At £5 per game through RamsTV, each club would need only 22-26k viewers to break even. Currently Sky average around 300k per Championship game. If we were able to charge just £1 with all of those viewers, we'd be able to buy an extra Jack Marriott a season. £5 would cover our wage bill. [I know it's unlikely for us to draw in that many viewers]

Add revenue from a different TV deal  which doesn't impact kick off times or restrict the cost/access to RamsTV, and most clubs would surely be better off in every aspect.

It sounds simple but would we still get 300k viewers if it was through a Rams TV subscription or pay per view. Are the 300k subscribed to Sky to watch premier league or other teams but take advantage of being able to watch other teams matches through their subscription?

I haven’t seen much information about the costs of Rams TV and the amount of viewers and whether it runs at a profit or loss. I think it is good but living in England doesn’t make much sense in paying for it.

2 hours ago, Gritters said:

It sounds simple but would we still get 300k viewers if it was through a Rams TV subscription or pay per view. Are the 300k subscribed to Sky to watch premier league or other teams but take advantage of being able to watch other teams matches through their subscription?

I haven’t seen much information about the costs of Rams TV and the amount of viewers and whether it runs at a profit or loss. I think it is good but living in England doesn’t make much sense in paying for it.

Depends how often you travel abroad ?

21 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not meant to show them anything. 

I'm stupid but not stupid enough to think that me cancelling my subscription would change anything. 

I imagine a very high percentage of the people singing about Sky were back home watching it within about 3 hours of singing the song. 

This is exactly the problem.....people think that cancelling their subscription wouldn't do anything........ every single penny they don't get hurts them and if football fans are serious about protesting against Sky then they have to do something. Cancelling your subscription would be the first thing to do and when they call to ask why tell them...it is because you are ruining Football...!

BUT as you rightly said, the majority at the ground singing would be going home that very night to watch a re run of the game on their Sky box....

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

This is exactly the problem.....people think that cancelling their subscription wouldn't do anything........ every single penny they don't get hurts them and if football fans are serious about protesting against Sky then they have to do something. Cancelling your subscription would be the first thing to do and when they call to ask why tell them...it is because you are ruining Football...!

BUT as you rightly said, the majority at the ground singing would be going home that very night to watch a re run of the game on their Sky box....

Plus I don't have Sky Sports just for football.

10 hours ago, Gritters said:

Also for a long distance fan Sky gives you an opportunity to watch games you normally wouldn’t be able to.

The main % of Derby supporters who go to the games must live within car travelling distance that although inconvenient the rearranged dates and times are doable. The club isn’t going to want to sacrifice huge sums of money to try to satisfy every eventuality. Unfortunately it is the minority that suffers with the rearranged dates.

It does provide an opportunity to watch games we normally wouldn't be able to. For me they are watched down the pub at the expense of the publican and the expense of ourselves, depending on how much we spend in the pub, where a few of us can have a catch up and a few beers, and for the camaraderie that @TexasRam mentions.

As @TexasRam has already posted, nothing will change until everybody cancels their subscription. I cancelled my subscription about 15 years ago.

Without Sky/BT or whoever etc the club wouldn't have to sacrifice huge sums of money trying to satisfy anything or anyone because the huge sums of money wouldn't be there. 

I think when the minority suffer, then the majority suffer also, or at least those that care, or notice, as today's so called product of football suffers overall, and football should be for everyone, and when it only caters for the "I'm alright Jack" folk, then football has a problem like a selfish modern society it becomes a part of.

Regarding money, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. No need for greed. 

In 2003, Brian Clough said of football on TV:

You don't want roast beef and Yorkshire pudding every night and twice on Sunday.

Then, 110 Premier League matches a season were on TV in the UK. Absolutely loads more now.

The Modern Game https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29273680

"In the field they're just a team of enthusiasts working as one man"....................

I presume we just decided to copy Leeds and sing the Sky song. I also presume 99% just joined in with no real idea why they were singing it. I presume if the club had a problem with being on Sky so frequently they could do something about it. The irony is, virtually the only song we sang all night got muted, probably wanted it to match the other 89 minutes. The football league signed the contract, giving sky the rites to pay next to nothing to show games whenever they fancy, it’s not Sky’s fault, it’s theirs. If we want things to change, protest against the true villains of the piece, the parasites who run the English football league, stealing a living, to the detriment of the game they should be promoting 

3 minutes ago, Doodle said:

... I presume if the club had a problem with being on Sky so frequently they could do something about it...

I'm not so sure.

Didn't they try that a few years back?  Threats to not let them in the stadium?  All went ahead as planned, in the end, if my (very poor) memory serves?

8 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm not so sure.

Didn't they try that a few years back?  Threats to not let them in the stadium?  All went ahead as planned, in the end, if my (very poor) memory serves?

Wasn't it Leeds away? Their chairman wouldn't let them in until very late

Archived