Craig Bryson

Barney1991

To be honest I always thought Bryson was a bit overrated even at his best, always used to call him and Hendrick the phantoms because they’d disappear into thin air when we weren’t playing well. Tries his hardest (although yesterday aside I’m not sure that she strictly true this season...) and clearly loves the club but he’s hardly ever been the genius footballer some make him out to be. Decent enough but nowhere near the quality of others who have played for us- Hughes, Huddlestone, Thorne, mascarell etc..

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

He has been no worse than anyone else and people need to remember we are actually in the top six on merit and Bryson gives Mount the opportunity to express himself- if we are to do well Bryson is an important part of that 

There is truth in what you say - but I would contend that has been within the context of us under-performing as a team for a few games (at least in midfield and up front). But the question raised is can Bryso get back to his former effectiveness for a good period of time?

I do agree we need a Bryson TYPE of player in the midfield for the reasons you describe. Would be great if that could be Craig himself but as time goes by it becomes less likely imho.

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

I think he's getting old. 

Always been a safe passer in our half and played the way he's facing. Pointless. His best season by far was under Mac 1 and he's never been anywhere near that level before or after.

I would argue that’s because he’s not been asked or allowed to.

Ever since then, he’s been playing deeper and safer roles for us. Under Mac 1 all he had to do was stay close to Martin and touch, control, dribble a bit and shoot. He always plays the way he’s facing and in that season he was always facing the opposition net.

He won’t have a season like 13/14 again, but he could be performing better. I’d look for a CM to play the slightly deeper role and rotate Mount and Bryson. Mount needs resting from time to time and he also occupies Bryson’s best position.

7 hours ago, Topram said:

We are sat in 4th position and all I’ve seen is tweets slagging him off he’s liked them all imagine what he’s done here for the club and city and he’s being given stick for an average but not poor performance our fans are a disgrace 

So what, you can't dare criticise anyone because we're 4th in the league? May as well shut the forum down if we're not even allowed to talk about him. You're vastly over blowing the amount of stick he got. What he's done for the club is irrelevant to whether he should be starting or not. 

59 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I would argue that’s because he’s not been asked or allowed to.

Bryson isn't being played to best effect. In yesterdays game he closed players down but just about on his own - so to what effect? He got in to the box but was picked out how many times? The midfield atm is pretty ordinary and Bryson gets blamed for not doing a job and it's not his fault!

6 hours ago, Srg said:

Can run a marathon in a game, but rarely ever affects the play anymore. Is a yard or two slow to close men down, his first touch isn't good enough, his passing isn't particularly great and rarely manages to get into positions in the box anymore. He is definitely someone i'd be replacing in January, as it's such an important position in this team - it needs to be an engine and athlete who can cover the ground, whilst still being technical good, and yes, i'm aware they're not readily available. 

It does seem people are finally noticing this, been saying it for a good 18 months at least at this point.

...if only Warnock had listened to you. Then Cardiff wouldn’t have wasted money and time on playing him in a promotion-winni...hey! ‘ang on a bloody minute. ?

25 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

...if only Warnock had listened to you. Then Cardiff wouldn’t have wasted money and time on playing him in a promotion-winni...hey! ‘ang on a bloody minute. ?

He played in less than half of their games so he wasn’t exactly an integral player though

Remember the performances against Blackburn (the most one sided 0-0 you will ever see), Brentford, Man Utd and Sheffield Utd, Bryson played key roles in all these games. He had scored a couple of great goals and was back to his best before he went off injured against Sheffield United. Missed several games and now he’s playing catch up. 

Ive said it several times he needs a run of games to be at his best. When he’s in and out of the team he struggles to build form like 15/16 with his injuries and 16/17. Now some would say we can’t afford that but when he’s not at his best, he’s still doing a solid job. 

We played some awesome football with Wilson in midfield, but second half against Villa showed his weaknesses in that position albeit alongside Holmes and not Mount. The defensive side of the game is not natural to him. Said this before as well Liam Rosenior who has impressed me as a pundit this season, his analysis of sheff United goal was spot on after Bryson had gone off. Wilson let fleck go by him, Bryson would’ve either tackled him or fouled him but the goal wouldn’t have happened.

Having Wilson in midfield while great from an attacking sense is weak defensively in my opinion. An earlier poster says we need a player like Bryson in the team. Right now he’s what we have, and can definitely still do a job for us and we’re not exactly rolling in cash to replace him.  The only player who might be able to do his job is possibly George Evans but we don’t know that yet. If he gets to prove his fitness I’d be inclined to give him a go ahead of Wilson in there. 

Its an area that was our strength earlier in the season and I think it still can be, but it’s also an area of weakness due to the lack of depth in that position. Brys need the next few games and if he doesn’t do it make the change but I think he is a vital member of our squad and has a big role to play in second half of the season. I’m pleased that Frank also seems to think this.

And lets not forget as Ella fella pointed out - he did win promotion last season!

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Do you not prefer Wilson and Mount in there? Like the team that played WBA, Chelsea, Boro I think?

I was at wba and we did play well - in every position but Wilson is an option at times but not all the time especially when we don’t have the ball 

more than anything I would say we are missing mason Bennett who gave us real strength and pace at various points in a game and others have profited well when he was playing 

6 hours ago, HantsRam said:

There is truth in what you say - but I would contend that has been within the context of us under-performing as a team for a few games (at least in midfield and up front). But the question raised is can Bryso get back to his former effectiveness for a good period of time?

I do agree we need a Bryson TYPE of player in the midfield for the reasons you describe. Would be great if that could be Craig himself but as time goes by it becomes less likely imho.

Underperforming? I am not sure we are but we are missing key players at various times - Forsyth Davies Bryson Mount Bennett Marriott and when added to the fact that different teams will change their game against us at this point in the season

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I was at wba and we did play well - in every position but Wilson is an option at times but not all the time especially when we don’t have the ball 

more than anything I would say we are missing mason Bennett who gave us real strength and pace at various points in a game and others have profited well when he was playing 

Mason Bennett would have smashed the gumps last night. Big miss imo.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Bennett is no faster or stronger (overall/combined)than Waghorn though really, and if we actually chose to use him I don't think we'd have missed those attributes.

He seems to be another player who needs a good run of games to get himself playing to his potential though. It's befuddling how Lampard seems to give Lawrence game after game after game on the left, and even up front, to make an impression and find form, even though he never does, yet doesn't seem to have the same attitude towards Waghorn.

6 hours ago, Matt H said:

Bennett is no faster or stronger (overall/combined)than Waghorn though really, and if we actually chose to use him I don't think we'd have missed those attributes.

He seems to be another player who needs a good run of games to get himself playing to his potential though. It's befuddling how Lampard seems to give Lawrence game after game after game on the left, and even up front, to make an impression and find form, even though he never does, yet doesn't seem to have the same attitude towards Waghorn.

He sees them in training that’s why bogle and Lawrence etc get selected so much 

7 hours ago, Matt H said:

Bennett is faster than Waghorn surely?

Archived