Craig Bryson

Barney1991

Just thought I would make a topic on this lad as there is quite a few who can't make there mind up on him. I for one think he needs to be dropped from the starting 11 as when he wasn't playing and Wilson played in there with waghorn on the right we played the best football of the season and played 3 promotion rivals off the park for most parts. He has been a great servant but just think he is past it now as last night he just ran around and when got the ball either couldn't control it, passed it out for a throw-in or fell over. Love what he has done for us but just think he has to not feature or is so for the last 10 minutes of games similar to Nugent. Also not saying all was his fault as Lawrence hasn't been up to it either. What is everyone else's thoughts. .

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bryso was awesome 2013-2014 season and has had flashes since, but hasn't ever regained those heights on a sustained basis for me.

I was horrified when both he and Jeff Hendrick ran around v Forest in 2015 like headless chickens, we lost the midfield and the match 1-2....was like night and day compared to how effective he had been just a year earlier. Now it seems those sorts of performances happen more often than not.

Maybe time to move on, with our thanks. I don't want to watch him decline, i'd prefer the fond memories.

He didn’t have the best of games last night but he wasn’t alone  and I said to my pals at the game there was 10 in midfield from both sides and I don’t think anyone had a really good game even Huddlestone had 3 or 4 passes which went straight out the park and he’s no like that 

it was a game where both teams nullified each other and game was crying out for a goal to open things up 

We are sat in 4th position and all I’ve seen is tweets slagging him off he’s liked them all imagine what he’s done here for the club and city and he’s being given stick for an average but not poor performance our fans are a disgrace 

I personally think he needs a rest at the very least. He has not looked up to the job for a few games now. Last night was the icing as far as I am concerned.

Always been a fan but maybe now is the time.

Ask yourself this. What happens if we do get promoted? Will he still be here? Maybe time to get some consistency out of the players who will be here.

Just now, Topram said:

We are sat in 4th position and all I’ve seen is tweets slagging him off he’s liked them all imagine what he’s done here for the club and city and he’s being given stick for an average but not poor performance our fans are a disgrace 

I’m glad u said that and no me but up until he got booked I thought he was typical bryso but after the booking he wasn’t his usual self but he maybe stopped other players playing and at end of the day lampard played him for 90minutes which tells me he must have been doing something right 

22 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Bryson still had a very important part to play and although had a shocker last night has not been any worse then mason mount over the last month.

Sorry to send the thread off track but that second part is the one that has totally perplexed me - what has happened to Mason Mount? First noticed it at the QPR (a) game and can't seem to understand how he has just fallen away from someone who got himself an England call up to someone who has lost most of his ability to be an authority in a game. Very strange....

8 minutes ago, Topram said:

Personal digs or just calling him out for playing poo? (The latter being fair, IMO).

Genuinely surprised at some comments I have seen. I think many don't see some of the off ball play he does.

Wasn't his best game last night but then again tell me who did play well.

To get the best out of him he needs to be going box to box. Sometimes when things aren't going our way the game doesn't pan out like it should do for him. He is the midfield presser and if we are forced back defending it really becomes a hard position to keep.

If you actually look at what he has offered this season and the errors he caused through his pressure play you will find that many goals have been scored due to this.

If we had lost a few on the bounce i could perhaps understand a thread like this but do we really need to change anything at the minute? For me. No.

I wouldn't be the sort to slag him off and disrespect him on social media like  Topram  has mentioned,  becuase I respect his past achievements, but at the same time I don't think he is good enough for a promotion chasing team .He is only really good enough for a lower midtable side like Birmingham city or Wigan Imo. He has n't got his old levels of pace and at the same time his passing and touch are nowhere near good enough for our style of play . Mount and Huddlestone were not at their best last night either, but some of Bryson' s passes and decision making  were criminal , on one occasion he got the ball in the middle of the park and instead of driving forward or looking for a player making a run he made a blind pass straight to their player standing 6 yards away with nobody in a derby shirt anyway near where the pass was played.  I would drop him from the side and at the same time drop Lawrence, and give evans a start and also Waghorn or Jozefoon a start.

9 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Sorry to send the thread off track but that second part is the one that has totally perplexed me - what has happened to Mason Mount? First noticed it at the QPR (a) game and can't seem to understand how he has just fallen away from someone who got himself an England call up to someone who has lost most of his ability to be an authority in a game. Very strange....

the rest of the midfield have been playing poor and our football hasn't been at it's best , he needs players around him on the same wavelength and players who can get the ball to him in advanced positions , he is not really a player at his age who can carry a team.

1 hour ago, valleyram said:

I’m glad u said that and no me but up until he got booked I thought he was typical bryso but after the booking he wasn’t his usual self but he maybe stopped other players playing and at end of the day lampard played him for 90minutes which tells me he must have been doing something right 

He had to be carful after the booking which kills his game as he loves to chase and get stuck in

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Personal digs or just calling him out for playing poo? (The latter being fair, IMO).

Abit of both not even tagged him in some he’s liked so he must be getting a few, still no need to give the players stick knowing they will see it when we sit in such a good position 

I think he's getting old. 

Always been a safe passer in our half and played the way he's facing. Pointless. His best season by far was under Mac 1 and he's never been anywhere near that level before or after.

The positives are he's a safe pair of feet in the opponents half and usually can be trusted not to lose the ball under pressure while the team supports him. Then he drops it off and sees about making a late run. 

But this season he's not getting forwards and he's doing the pointless passing. He has lost his pace off the mark. If his first touch is poor he doesn't recover. If he's tight on a man and that man spins away then he's completely lost him. And he's seems to feel it too. You watch when someone get a bit of space from him he kind of gives up because there's no way of recovering. 

It's a shame but if you look then you'll see it. He's alright when he's motoring but these younger players are just shrugging him off now because they can leave him for dead after a third touch. 

But his head tennis infuriates me. Why???!!! Why head a bouncing ball under minimal pressure? It goes like 10 yards away where either yourself or Harry The Hulk Wilson is forced to compete for another physical duel. You might as well volley it down the pitch or be brave and try and control it. It's so frustrating that a ball can bounce in the air 5ft high in midfield and we start head tennis. That's how it contributes to the loss of control in some of our games. 

I don't know if he's past it but with Mount high up and Huddlestone lacking mobility too it leaves an aging player a lot to do. 

When he had Hendrick and Hughes he was younger and they (especially Hughes) supported far more areas of the pitch than Mount or Hudds. He's now the only true CM in our 433. Essentially it's a 41131 in pattern. Under Mac it was very much a 2 man midfield with a DM behind them. Then Hughes would not need Bryson to drop in very often at all. 

I like him playing, I think him and Mount are very important to our high press as they restrict the central areas of the pitch and often panic the central defenders. Getting an early yellow as he did yesterday obviously affects his game way more than it used to because he has lost a yard, and so has to know he can get there before he actually does.

That said, for home games in particular I would move Wilson inside to play CM. He doesn’t do much worse than Brys but definitely gives us a fair bit more. Brys is still a very good player and guy to have around however and FL knows a lot more about central midfielders than me, so I can’t complain too much about him being picked.

Can run a marathon in a game, but rarely ever affects the play anymore. Is a yard or two slow to close men down, his first touch isn't good enough, his passing isn't particularly great and rarely manages to get into positions in the box anymore. He is definitely someone i'd be replacing in January, as it's such an important position in this team - it needs to be an engine and athlete who can cover the ground, whilst still being technical good, and yes, i'm aware they're not readily available. 

It does seem people are finally noticing this, been saying it for a good 18 months at least at this point.

2 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Like I said on another thread, We stumbled upon the right balance in midfield when Wilson dropped back into the 3. Since we changed back we haven’t been anywhere near as fluid. Frank obviously likes Bryson as do the majority of the fans but I can’t help but feel it’s hindering us. 

Spot on. He’s just not on the same wave length as Mount & Wilson, which I don’t think is helping Mounts form, though it wouldn’t be fair to lay all that blame at Bryson.

What Bryson has done for this club, he will be remembered for and rightly so. But he shouldn’t be in this starting 11. A player to bring on for the last 15-20 to see games out when wining, but starting, no.

Archived