Lack of penalty decisions for us

Sparkle

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We do seem to not get hardly any penalty decisions this season do people think that is true?

i remember only one away at hull - is it because we don’t take players on in the box? Or just referees don’t like us this season? 

When we do and do get fouled, we still don't get the penalties... think there were two in the Swansea game (one stonewall, the other would have been a soft one)

We go down too theatrically imo and it puts the refs off. I know it shouldn’t be the case, because there have been genuine fouls, but when you go down like Lawrence did I don’t think refs are particulary inclined to give pens. Unfair completely but it seems to be the way. Can’t think of any other reason why when a forest player switches to martial arts in the box, in a completely unobstructed area, that we’re not given a pen.

We had a discussion a couple of seasons ago, when we were getting loads of penalties. And the most sensible opinion (probably mine) was that it was a side effect of our style of play, running into the box, taking men on, drawing the foul. Johnny Russel was a good one for winning penalties, and Jamie ward, not to mention the wardrobe. 

Maybe we’re just not doing that as much. But that’s not a bad thing, we’re not scoring any less goals particularly, we’re just creating more genuine chances, rather than running up blind alleys or into traffic, looking to draw a foul. 

Two in two games makes it seem endemic, but I bet there haven’t been many other stone wall penalties missed recently. 

I certainly can’t wait til var becomes a thing. 

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Should we have had one just before half time when Marriott went down?

It would have been very soft.

I do think though that Marriott is one of those players that referees have decided is not going to get penalties. Defenders are allowed to kick him, knock him over and pull him about without any punishment, yet as soon as he gives a bit back he'll be penalised.

The amount of penalties a team accrues during the season is typically in proportion with how many touches that team has in the opposition box. I read something yesterday that listed us as 20th in the entire league for touches in the opposition box, so it's not surprising that's roughly where we are in the division for penalties scored.

Archived