10 years of the Big Flag

therams69

So today marks 10 years since I started taking our rather large Super Rams Flag to the games. A cold Monday night in the capital where we drew 2 2 with Charlton back on 15 December 2008, a last minute Nathan Ellington equaliser.

Having been purchased by Ramstrust through the sales of badges a couple of years previous it had been left in a shed for around a year and unused. I saw a thread on the popular Derby Telegraph fans forum (now known as dcfcfans.co.uk) asking if anyone wanted to look after it and take to the games due to its demise so thought yeah why not, can't be that hard! Not sure what happened in truth but there you go. The Ramstrust view at the time was that they wanted it on the pitch before games with the kids. The chap that passed it to be made me promise that it would be in the stands and 10 years later I would like to think I have kept that promise.

Soon realised how hard it was going to be after carrying 18kgs on a train and tube to the ground! The flag that night got some great footage on the cameras and everyone was asking where it had been etc …

Roll forward 10 years and it has done a fair bit including 50 different stadiums in the league and 7 European stadiums (Bohemians, Utrecht, Hannover, Algarve, Graz, Marbella and Kaiserslautern). It has also done 3 piers in Blackpool, Bournemouth and Brighton. The latter actually made it into the local press in Brighton! It was also present at the funeral of Dougie (Badgeman) at the family’s request.

Not being too much of a statto I reckon it has probably done 350-400 games or so over the 10 years I have looked after it.

Few stories if you are interested.

When over in Graz for pre season under Stevie Mac it absolutely lashed it down! This caused us a bit of a problem as the flag, which normally weighs 18kg, all of a sudden weighed around 30kg with all the water. We were flying home the next day from Budapest and naturally didn’t want to pay any excess baggage fees! So on arrival to a very sunny Budapest airport we decided to lay it out and get it dry. Before we knew it, the airport security and police were on us asking what we were protesting about. Thankfully they understood what we were doing and the flag dried out enough so no excess baggage charges were payable.

The worst place, without doubt, that I have surfed it would have to be at Upton Park when playing West Ham. As it was tight knit place we needed some space to get it set out. The amount of abuse coming our way from the home end was very strong, not to mention a fair bit of spit. Look back on that day though and have a chuckle.

Only time any fans in the ground have tried to get at it was Boro away a couple of years ago. We were 3 nil up and they were getting mardy. Its on youtube if you have a spare 5 minutes. Bottles of coke thrown at it and a half attempted pull at it to drag it down but being a former scout, my knots are good ?

Only ever time I messed the surf up was Leeds at home on Boxing day some years ago when I just got it wrong and it ended up upside down. Fair bit of abuse from them lot for that.

Smallest ground it has ever done was Forest Green away in the cup when the flag was actually bigger than the stand! That walk up the hill though carrying 18kgs, I am not fit and wasn’t fit then!

Kaiserslautern away was an interesting one. We were followed out the ground for a good 20 minutes by a couple of well known flag thieves that wanted to add it to their collection in there local pub. Of course, it never happened.

Always interesting when I speak to clubs beforehand, some are great and some are clueless. For example it did Old Trafford back in 2008 in the cup yet wasn’t allowed for the recent game these past couple of years. They were advising that they needed a special team to assist with it which is garbage. Same with Chelsea, apparently wasn’t enough room to store it after the surf, which as I know was rubbish. I find premier league clubs much harder to deal with than football league clubs.

Wembley 2008. Where it all went wrong! Steve Else had kindly offered to take it on the coach with him as I was on the train. I was due to call him when I arrived but in amongst the pre game atmosphere in London I smashed my phone and it broke and we never got it in. Knew as soon as my phone had smashed that the day was not going to end well.

Big thank you to anyone that has assisted over the years to keep the flag flying. It is the biggest flag in all the leagues that goes away from home. Massive thanks to Derby County who allow the flag to travel on the team coach which makes the job alot easier.

Also a big thank you to Jon Davidson (kitman) and the girls in the wash room who regularly wash it for us. Unfortunately I don’t have a big enough washing machine so appreciate.

Come Monday night it will be out again as always.

The East Midlands will always be Black & White. Come on you Rams!!

Nick

Flag 1.jpg

Flag 2.jpg

Flag 3.jpg

Flag 4.jpg

Flag 5.jpg

Flag 6.jpg

flag 7.jpg

Flag 8.jpg

Flag 9.jpg

flag 10.jpg

Flag 11.jpg

flag 12.jpg

flag 13.jpg

flag 14.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, therams69 said:

So today marks 10 years since I started taking our rather large Super Rams Flag to the games. A cold Monday night in the capital where we drew 2 2 with Charlton back on 15 December 2008, a last minute Nathan Ellington equaliser.

Having been purchased by Ramstrust through the sales of badges a couple of years previous it had been left in a shed for around a year and unused. I saw a thread on the popular Derby Telegraph fans forum (now known as dcfcfans.co.uk) asking if anyone wanted to look after it and take to the games due to its demise so thought yeah why not, can't be that hard! Not sure what happened in truth but there you go. The Ramstrust view at the time was that they wanted it on the pitch before games with the kids. The chap that passed it to be made me promise that it would be in the stands and 10 years later I would like to think I have kept that promise.

Soon realised how hard it was going to be after carrying 18kgs on a train and tube to the ground! The flag that night got some great footage on the cameras and everyone was asking where it had been etc …

Roll forward 10 years and it has done a fair bit including 50 different stadiums in the league and 7 European stadiums (Bohemians, Utrecht, Hannover, Algarve, Graz, Marbella and Kaiserslautern). It has also done 3 piers in Blackpool, Bournemouth and Brighton. The latter actually made it into the local press in Brighton! It was also present at the funeral of Dougie (Badgeman) at the family’s request.

Not being too much of a statto I reckon it has probably done 350-400 games or so over the 10 years I have looked after it.

When over in Graz for pre season under Stevie Mac it absolutely lashed it down! This caused us a bit of a problem as the flag, which normally weighs 18kg, all of a sudden weighed around 30kg with all the water. We were flying home the next day from Budapest and naturally didn’t want to pay any excess baggage fees! So on arrival to a very sunny Budapest airport we decided to lay it out and get it dry. Before we knew it, the airport security and police were on us asking what we were protesting about. Thankfully they understood what we were doing and the flag dried out enough so no excess baggage charges were payable.

The worst place, without doubt, that I have surfed it would have to be at Upton Park when playing West Ham. As it was tight knit place we needed some space to get it set out. The amount of abuse coming our way from the home end was very strong, not to mention a fair bit of spit. Look back on that day though and have a chuckle.

Only time any fans in the ground have tried to get at it was Boro away a couple of years ago. We were 3 nil up and they were getting mardy. Its on youtube if you have a spare 5 minutes. Bottles of coke thrown at it and a half attempted pull at it to drag it down but being a former scout, my knots are good ?

Only ever time I messed the surf up was Leeds at home on Boxing day some years ago when I just got it wrong and it ended up upside down. Fair bit of abuse from them lot for that.

Smallest ground it has ever done was Forest Green away in the cup when the flag was actually bigger than the stand! That walk up the hill though carrying 18kgs, I am not fit and wasn’t fit then!

Kaiserslautern away was an interesting one. We were followed out the ground for a good 20 minutes by a couple of well known flag thieves that wanted to add it to their collection in there local pub. Of course, it never happened.

Always interesting when I speak to clubs beforehand, some are great and some are clueless. For example it did Old Trafford back in 2008 in the cup yet wasn’t allowed for the recent game these past couple of years. They were advising that they needed a special team to assist with it which is garbage. Same with Chelsea, apparently wasn’t enough room to store it after the surf, which as I know was rubbish. I find premier league clubs much harder to deal with than football league clubs.

Wembley 2008. Where it all went wrong! Steve Else had kindly offered to take it on the coach with him as I was on the train. I was due to call him when I arrived but in amongst the pre game atmosphere in London I smashed my phone and it broke and we never got it in. Knew as soon as my phone had smashed that the day was not going to end well.

Big thank you to anyone that has assisted over the years to keep the flag flying. It is the biggest flag in all the leagues that goes away from home. Massive thanks to Derby County who allow the flag to travel on the team coach which makes the job alot easier.

Also a big thank you to Jon Davidson (kitman) and the girls in the wash room who regularly wash it for us. Unfortunately I don’t have a big enough washing machine so appreciate.

Nick

Flag 1.jpg

Flag 2.jpg

Flag 3.jpg

Flag 4.jpg

Flag 5.jpg

Flag 6.jpg

flag 7.jpg

Flag 8.jpg

Flag 9.jpg

flag 10.jpg

Flag 11.jpg

flag 12.jpg

flag 13.jpg

flag 14.jpg

Magnificent Sir, take a bow. One of my best ever moments amongst very many was being under the flag at Brighton with my son Edward moments before the first leg of the play-off semi. A moment of huge joy and exhilaration that can only be explained by reference to crowd psychology, tribalism, inter-personal bonding and 6 pints of real ale. 

Thank you for all the trouble you have gone to. Your work does not go unnoticed and you carry the flag brilliantly for all us Rams. ?

28 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Amazing work and some great stories too.

Do you always take it to away games, or does it depend on how you are getting there? 

Thanks everyone. Didn't want it to come across as a self gratifying post mind lol ... Many Rams fans don't know the story behind it and just think that I bought this flag and take it to the games which obviously isn't entirely the case.

So many stories though and this is just a snippet...

No it goes to every away game this it's permitted too. I am an away season ticket holder so go regardless. As the flag goes on the team coach it's just a case of dropping it off on the Friday morning at Moor Farm and picking it up when it rocks up at the away game.

I call ahead before each game and ask permission. Some clubs are great and have had many a long chat with the safety officers. Some others are more stringent. It's very interesting how each club differs in there rules.

Personally prefer it over seats if possible but a surf is always okay so the home clubs always have an option.

Naturally it's never been Forest, one day maybe!! Newcastle, Wolves, Villa and Norwich others top of head.

32 minutes ago, therams69 said:

Thanks everyone. Didn't want it to come across as a self gratifying post mind lol ... Many Rams fans don't know the story behind it and just think that I bought this flag and take it to the games which obviously isn't entirely the case.

So many stories though and this is just a snippet...

No it goes to every away game this it's permitted too. I am an away season ticket holder so go regardless. As the flag goes on the team coach it's just a case of dropping it off on the Friday morning at Moor Farm and picking it up when it rocks up at the away game.

I call ahead before each game and ask permission. Some clubs are great and have had many a long chat with the safety officers. Some others are more stringent. It's very interesting how each club differs in there rules.

Personally prefer it over seats if possible but a surf is always okay so the home clubs always have an option.

Naturally it's never been Forest, one day maybe!! Newcastle, Wolves, Villa and Norwich others top of head.

As we can’t take the flag to notts, it would be great if everyone could co-ordinate to display something. Don’t know what or how but if DCFC gave a certain foldaway cardboard piece with each ticket that then when held up at the game formed a massive image of DCFC or a ram for example. Would look ace!

Even everyone wearing white would work!

12 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

As we can’t take the flag to notts, it would be great if everyone could co-ordinate to display something. Don’t know what or how but if DCFC gave a certain foldaway cardboard piece with each ticket that then when held up at the game formed a massive image of DCFC or a ram for example. Would look ace!

Even everyone wearing white would work!

They would put a stop to the cardboard mate. Would have to be scarves or something like that...

They are a nightmare to deal with.

Just now, Inverurie Ram said:

Brilliant flag, brilliant work and your a brilliant guy Nick @therams69 Keep the flag alive forever. Up The Rams.

I've walked past you a couple of times at least at Fulham and Utrecht away and mumbled "up the flagman" next time I'll say a proper hello and buy you some beer.

The Boro away flag incident.

Leeds game

25swuq8.jpg

wqrjm0.jpg

Haha the famous Leeds game. Cant believe there is a photo lol!

Nice one posting the Boro footage. Was funny watching them getting a little mardy. Few stains on it and had to get it washed on the Sunday.

Always up for having a beer mate. :-) Talking of Utrecht, a few flags got nicked that day including the South Stand Rams banner. Surprised they didn't try for the big flag that was on the hill. Kind of knew that game was going to be fun when they lit a flare off at kick off. Bear in mind this was a 3pm kick off in the week at there training ground lol.

1 minute ago, therams69 said:

They would put a stop to the cardboard mate. Would have to be scarves or something like that...

They are a nightmare to deal with.

Aye, know what you mean. But hypothetically it could be done. Fold up glossy paper - pop it in your back pocket. Who’s going to confiscate random bits of paper? 

40 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Aye, know what you mean. But hypothetically it could be done. Fold up glossy paper - pop it in your back pocket. Who’s going to confiscate random bits of paper? 

This is true … Needs to be properly organised and structured though. Have thought about it for years to get something done at there gaff but its just never come off. Perhaps something we need to revisit next year.

32 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

You should write a book or a blog about each match, I would definatly read it @therams69

Haha! I am sure Mick Derby could write a book with all his memories and maybe I could add to it …

That's why I think its important that the flag carries on. I know over the years there has been plenty of requests for us to have a new flag in replace of this one but on the other hand I do think, is there any need? Its in good condition and has history with the latter being very important. Maybe one day it will have had enough of being stitched up and will just wear away with the quality but until then I guess...…...

Great stories @therams69. As a fairly regular attendee at away games I do like it when the flag has a surf - feels good to be part of the 'team' as you help it on its way. I do appreciate it has more impact if out over spare seats, though - and allows you to watch the whole game.

I was at Boro when that muppet had a go at the flag; luckily it is made of tough stuff.

We do appreciate the effort involved in getting it set up at nearly every game - very well done! 

5 hours ago, therams69 said:

Nick

Flag 1.jpg

Flag 2.jpg

Flag 3.jpg

Flag 4.jpg

Flag 5.jpg

Flag 6.jpg

flag 7.jpg

Flag 8.jpg

Flag 9.jpg

flag 10.jpg

Flag 11.jpg