Andy King - Signed on Loan

Arsene Titman

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Well that went well. Suspect we may start seeing Max Bird promoted more regularly.

Based on the position King plays (as one of the more advanced two rather than the holding midfielder), I imagine the role would be more suited to Sibley. Whether Lampard thinks he's ready yet is a different matter.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame for King. Hadn't shown anything so far but given a run of games he would (I hope) have proved useful as he's a decent player.

Puts us back to square one. 

With Bryson and Mount injured I don't see what choice Frank has but to give one of the U23s a go. Bird seems most likely as he has had 1st team experience. 

He can't be tempted to play Huddlestone, Wilson and Holmes in a 3 man midfield. He can't, right? Please say he can't.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

He can't be tempted to play Huddlestone, Wilson and Holmes in a 3 man midfield. He can't, right? Please say he can't.

That's the exact same midfield he ran when we got tonked 3-0 at our place so lets hope he's learned from that. I'll cry if that's the starting midfield.

1 hour ago, VulcanRam said:

Shame for King. Hadn't shown anything so far but given a run of games he would (I hope) have proved useful as he's a decent player.

With Bryson and Mount injured I don't see what choice Frank has but to give one of the U23s a go. Bird seems most likely as he has had 1st team experience. 

I think we're forgetting there's a decent player in Johnson, wouldn't be surprised to see him become a key player for the run in now. Other than that maybe we'll see Evans further up the pitch. 

I'd be more tempted to bring Sibley through over Bird, just because of the style of player Sibley is. 

9 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

I think we're forgetting there's a decent player in Johnson, wouldn't be surprised to see him become a key player for the run in now. Other than that maybe we'll see Evans further up the pitch. 

I'd be more tempted to bring Sibley through over Bird, just because of the style of player Sibley is. 

You’re right, he actually slipped my mind. And I’m one of those rarities who quite like the bloke.

11 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

I don't see why not.

The previous defeat to villa was due to the the tactical change to 352 in the last 20 minutes. We conceded 3 goals in ten minutes as villa raided down their left flank getting in behind the advanced bogle. It was nothing to do with the midfield trio.

He also has bradley johnson. I know......but.

Max bird is another lee holmes. Promoted too soon creating the impression that that is a mercurial talent in the ranks. would it really be fair on him to throw him in? Against southampton he showed very little. Its a huge step up from u23 football to the first team. 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I don't see why not.

The previous defeat to villa was due to the the tactical change to 352 in the last 20 minutes. We conceded 3 goals in ten minutes as villa raided down their left flank getting in behind the advanced bogle. It was nothing to do with the midfield trio.

He also has bradley johnson. I know......but.

Max bird is another lee holmes. Promoted too soon creating the impression that that is a mercurial talent in the ranks. would it really be fair on him to throw him in? Against southampton he showed very little. Its a huge step up from u23 football to the first team. 

Where he played in one of the advanced two to give him first team playing experience.

He's a ball winner first and foremost - more of a Eustace than a Thorne (at the moment), although the passing side of his game has improved a lot this season. He's a clever player and very few if any intercept or win the ball back as often as him at U23 level.

Unlike some youths who can be thrown in 'too early', Bird has the right type of head on his shoulders. Just like Bogle, he won't let a stray pass or bad performance get too him. He'll want to receive the ball back to make up for giving the ball away, or to be back out on the field to put in a better performance.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's a ball winner first and foremost - more of a Eustace than a Thorne (at the moment)

Ha, I think the exact opposite, I've found his passing pretty impressive! He had a couple of brilliant assists in the last u23 game.

43 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Ha, I think the exact opposite, I've found his passing pretty impressive! He had a couple of brilliant assists in the last u23 game.

I’d say so too from what I’ve seen of him, deffo a cdm tho out of position against Southampton, needs to be played deeper as he doesn’t appear thaaaaat mobile. More of a Thorne than a eustace for me

When George Thorne was playing in that CDM role for under 23s Bird got pushed further forward and I think his form suffered a bit as a consequence.  He's looked great since he's been back in there and passes very well from deep.

My only concern is his strength when he will generally have much closer attention  in the Championship than at under 23 level.

But our current midfield gap does seem to be further forward, which is why I would prefer to see Sibley given a go. He would do just that (give it a go!)  and would drive into the box.

Both good young midfielders but play very different roles. 

5 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

What age are Bird and Sibley in relation to Mount and Wilson ?………. Exactly so give them a go.

Wilson also needs a player with him to play one twos with.

A year older than Chris Martin @RoyMac5 will tell you ?

Max Bird 18

Louie Sibley 17

Mason Mount 20

Harry Wilson 22 this month

Archived