RamsTV Meets John McGovern

David

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Not going to watch this one , he's a red dog .

No no. He was one of us. He was an essential part of that early team. He wasn't the best player simply because there were so many great players but he was a Ram alright.

great to hear him talk about the three players who were my early favourites - les green, dave mackay and willie carlin. We never quite replaced them. It wasn't possible.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

No no. He was one of us. He was an essential part of that early team. He wasn't the best player simply because there were so many great players but he was a Ram alright.

great to hear him talk about the three players who were my early favourites - les green, dave mackay and willie carlin. We never quite replaced them. It wasn't possible.

He may have been a great player - but nowadays defo 100% red dog  He confirmed that when he flogged his Derby medals and kept his Forest one's .  No interest in this one .

18 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Not going to watch this one , he's a red dog .

13 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He may have been a great player - but nowadays defo 100% red dog  He confirmed that when he flogged his Derby medals and kept his Forest one's .  No interest in this one .

You'll miss an interesting interview with someone who obviously has a lot of fond memories of his time at the club. Yes, he probably is a "red" now more than black and white, but that doesn't mean that his contribution to our club should be ignored. I'm looking forward to the second part, even if it probably is talking about the wonder years down the road.

Speaking to the Derby Telegraph he said: “There’s some important memorabilia there. People ask me why I’m selling them and I say listen ‘I don’t owe the bookmakers any money, I own my own house, I own my own car' – there’s no desperate reason to sell them but just hoping to have a bit more money when it gets closer to Christmas.

“It was a great honour to play for Derby and win the medals. It’s just come to a time when I’ve moved from living in Sheffield for 20 years to moving to an apartment in Nottingham and the medals I don’t have on display anyway and I thought selling them would give me a few more quid at Christmas to do some shopping.”

To be fair he’s 68, as he says doesn’t have them on display, why not sell them on, put a few quid in the bank to splash out on Christmas with his family and allow a collector the chance to own some memorabilia from the club they love.

Win/win. Don’t see a problem myself. He was an employee of the club, as he was Forest. He’s not come out and said anything bad about us, in fact says it was an honour to play for us. 

Might sell his Forest medals in a couple of years, take his family away to Skeggy or somewhere.

Can’t take them with you when you’re gone.

12 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

There you go he owns his own house ,car no money worries and he sells his Derby medals which obviously mean nothing to him .

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/rams-legend-john-mcgovern-selling-864349

Did you read the article, or only the bit where he said he was selling the Derby memorabilia and not the Nottingham? How many ex players become true fans of their old clubs? I mean to an extent where they watch them over any other club. We've got Roy Mac. Mark Edworthy is still around but in very similar circumstances to McGovern (club ambassador etc) as is Johnson. Charlie George loves Derby County but he is and always will be a Gunner first. Watch the interview, you may just enjoy it.

31 minutes ago, superzak said:

Charlie George came to Derby at the tail end of his career. it would seem very odd if he came out and said hed kept his Derby medal but sold his Arsenal stuff.

McGovern had far more success at Forest, and probably spent more time there. Certainly his best years (peak of his career) were spent there.

2 hours ago, superzak said:

Charlie George came to Derby at the tail end of his career. it would seem very odd if he came out and said hed kept his Derby medal but sold his Arsenal stuff.

He came to derby when he was 24

Archived