Strange Flag

Angry Ram

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Without this getting into a Brexit debate. Just been walking past parliament and this flag was being used by Brexiteers. No idea why, it is a NZ flag I believe? United Tribes?

Anyone know the reason?

0A1185B0-C3A8-487C-BCC5-DFA6A038D322.png

Thought it was the new flag of the home counties after they claimed independence from the rest of England, just after the break up of the United Kingdom.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The clue was in the OP - United Tribes flag (supposedly the first flag of New Zealand)

I wasn't disputing the info, just merely pointing out that google does not recognise this as Maori origin.

As for the OP clue I think if you read it he is asking the question if it is a Union Tribes flag. 

As you so eloquently stated, the clue is in the question mark after Union Tribes.

The only connection I can think of is that the NZ flag contains a Union Jack, and if we Brexit and the UK inevitably breaks up, then the NZ nationalists would probably want to revert to their original flag.

I dunno it's all a bit tenuous, but then who knows what goes on in the minds of people who take obscure flags to seemingly unrelated political demos. It's all a bit "look at meeeeeee" innit?

Either the person flying it has a connection to New Zealand tribes (or is from New Zealand) and is showing support or it's a message to say that we the British people need to stay united?

Don't forget up until very recently (I'm talking the 1990s) New Zealand was effectively an outpost of the UK and depended very heavily on trade with us. They (along with Australia) have given some of the most supportive comments regarding trade with Britain post-Brexit.

Archived