Sign in to follow this  
Archied

Charities

We usually give a donation to crisis at Christmas each year ( nothing big just what we can spare ) this year we have just received a letter from them which was very much like a final demand on an unpaid bill which we found very unsettling ,we have checked out crisis and are not impressed with the amount per donation that actually gets spent on the homeless as opposed to costs and salaries , I know that sadly so many charities are professional businesses now but daftly I hadn’t realised crisis were right up there in terms of this ruthlessness , question is are there any charities / ways to donate without lining the pockets of those that really don’t need it ? Is Salvation Army still volunteer based 

9 minutes ago, Archied said:

We usually give a donation to crisis at Christmas each year ( nothing big just what we can spare ) this year we have just received a letter from them which was very much like a final demand on an unpaid bill which we found very unsettling ,we have checked out crisis and are not impressed with the amount per donation that actually gets spent on the homeless as opposed to costs and salaries , I know that sadly so many charities are professional businesses now but daftly I hadn’t realised crisis were right up there in terms of this ruthlessness , question is are there any charities / ways to donate without lining the pockets of those that really don’t need it ? Is Salvation Army still volunteer based 

We always fund raise for The Sheffield Children’s Hospital And they have their own charity,I’m pretty sure Derby is the same?

2 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

We always fund raise for The Sheffield Children’s Hospital And they have their own charity,I’m pretty sure Derby is the same?

Were not in derby but I’m sure your right in terms of finding something smaller and local

Find a charity local to you where you can speak directly to the staff or volunteers. 

Having staff in a charity isn't necessarily a bad thing - they do the hard work - but if you select a local charity then you aren't paying for layers and layers of management above the front line workers. 

Wherever you live there will be a local CVS that can tell you which charities are working in your area and on what e.g.  homelessness, mental health, children, older people.

Yeah, sometimes they do seem to push things too far.

A few years back, I charidee zip-wired from the back row of the SW Upper corner to the Disabled seating area in the NE Lower Corner (PPS, that is).  Thoroughly enjoyed it, collected a few quid for the charity (that I won't name, because...) who took about 3 years to "shake off", what with their incessant texts, emails and letters making me feel extremely guilty for not raising £Thousands per year for them.  That particular charity has now lost out, even if it is only the odd tenner every now and again.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Not volunteer based but as near as damn it. Arguably the best of the bigger named charities.

https://www.salvationarmy.org.uk/our-trustees-and-staff-pay

Maybe a better idea if you're going to give a few quid.

Go to the supermarket. Do a weekly (or a three daily) shop and take it to one of the many food banks that will be open and accepting donations.

I believe in order to get a food bank parcel, folks have to prove they're eligible and be given a voucher.

At least that way you know every penny you spend goes to someone who really needs it.

31 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Maybe a better idea if you're going to give a few quid.

Go to the supermarket. Do a weekly (or a three daily) shop and take it to one of the many food banks that will be open and accepting donations.

I believe in order to get a food bank parcel, folks have to prove they're eligible and be given a voucher.

At least that way you know every penny you spend goes to someone who really needs it.

Absolutely right!

Our church, along with others in the area (Smethwick) collect food for foodbanks.

This goes to a local distribution centre and anyone in need can ask a trained volunteer for a voucher for 3 days’ food.

Folk from all walks of life need a hand sometime. 

Delayed benefits, unexpected emergencies etc.

It is help at the point of greatest need. They can also accept and gift-aid donations.

No middle men or paid ‘executives’.

Well worth supporting and assisting generally!

Whenever î buy petrol at one particular filling station, at payment it always states " would you like to add 0.25p for charity".

at first i used to say yes but then i stopped and so i always get the evil eye.

what if the supermarket till also prompted you to add 25p for charity everytime you visited. And homebase and screwfix, and boots the chemist, pizza hut, cafe nero, starbucks, macdonalds, marks and spencers, next, amazon etc etc. What if everytime you bought a pint, the barman asked if you would like to add 25p for charity. Soon everytime you fart you'll have to add a little bit for charity. 

What charity anyway?

I donate to Birmingham Children's Hospital because they are the reason I have a fantastic 11 year old granddaughter. 

Other than that, I would happily pay in to every political party that promises to keep the NHS free of privatisation. Unfortunately thats not many.

Don’t sit on the sidelines, let your voice be heard!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.