Lampard “shifted the planning” for January transfer window

David

6 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I don't think I criticised his lack of pace. I merely stated getting slower has affected his confidence.

I take your point about Pearce but he can at least head the ball and bringing him in would probably see us sitting deeper which isn't ideal.

Haven't seen any evidence at all that Keogh has slowed down. The very occasional mistakes he makes are the same ones he's always made and since he's the only CB we've had in the last 5 years who is capable of bringing the ball out of defence and hitting a decent pass (apart from a very short spell with Jake Buxton) then he continues to justify his selection.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think there's an argument for playing Pearce now.

I have been a supporter of Keogh in the past but he knows his pace is not what it was and this makes him even more jittery than usual. Behind him Carson hardly exudes calm and alongside him he has two young players making their way in the game and a left back happier in attack than defence.

We are in a transitional phase but the fans demand success now (and they spend good money).

I wouldn't be surprised if we went for two Steady Eddie loans to bring experience in.

When did Keogh say: ‘my pace has decreased and it makes me more jittery than usual’?

Or is that what you think?

Same as ‘the fans demand success now’. All fans? Or is that you?

And Carson isn’t calm either.

What a collective bunch of nervous, jittery, slow and demanding folk we all are.

I can’t recall any occasions when Pearce has let us down. I’d be interested in the average points per game and proportion of clean sheets in games he has started. (Actually I just spent 5 minutes working it out, and when he has played, including a handful of sub appearances, we have won 48% of games and kept clean sheets in 37% of them, at least according to my back of an envelope calculation)

I’m not saying that we couldn’t find better, but I suspect we’ll look back on his Rams career in years to come and wonder quite what went on which meant that he played so little.

5 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

I can’t recall any occasions when Pearce has let us down. I’d be interested in the average points per game and proportion of clean sheets in games he has started. (Actually I just spent 5 minutes working it out, and when he has played, including a handful of sub appearances, we have won 48% of games and kept clean sheets in 37% of them, at least according to my back of an envelope calculation)

I’m not saying that we couldn’t find better, but I suspect we’ll look back on his Rams career in years to come and wonder quite what went on which meant that he played so little.

Thank you Mrs Pearce 

5 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Thank you Mrs Pearce 

Haha! No, no relation. Closest I came was sitting in the same carriage as him on a train once. I just don’t get why so many people want to write him off when he hasn’t really done much wrong. I wonder if the stats for Shackell (or even Davies) are significantly better.

1 hour ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Haha! No, no relation. Closest I came was sitting in the same carriage as him on a train once. I just don’t get why so many people want to write him off when he hasn’t really done much wrong. I wonder if the stats for Shackell (or even Davies) are significantly better.

It's the Derby way

5 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

I won’t be wondering, he can’t pass. Modern defenders have to be able to have at least some passing ability, he doesn’t. Not the best defender in any case, like a more average Jason shackell. Cover but no more.

18 hours ago, Srg said:

If he brings in a defender, it needs to be one that is comfortable with it at his feet and can pass a ball. As good as Curtis is, it's evident how much worse the team attacks when he plays because we can't move the ball out from defence. Don't see any use in replacing that with a like-for-like.

Agree with that, though decent ball-playing centre halves in the Championship are the exception, which makes Keogh so special. However, it did just strike me that Hudds was sometimes used as a Premier League centre half in his Hull days.

Maybe that would be an option? Perhaps with Evans coming in. Or even just switching Hudds and Tomori. And, yes, I have been on the sauce. 

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Agree with that, though decent ball-playing centre halves in the Championship are the exception, which makes Keogh so special. However, it did just strike me that Hudds was sometimes used as a Premier League centre half in his Hull days.

Maybe that would be an option? Perhaps with Evans coming in. Or even just switching Hudds and Tomori. And, yes, I have been on the sauce. 

Possibly. One thing that has been apparent in the past few weeks is a lack of leadership when it comes to someone at the back who is happy to ‘get rid’ when under the cosh/crosses coming in/ball pumped into our box.

Swansea was prime example, they were ordinary for most of the game and yet looked inevitable to score at the end just from putting enough pressure on our back line. Hudds looked like the only player willing to put his foot through a ball and clear it.

As much as a nice passing CB would be, we could also benefit from that player having bravery and presence to keep the defence together and tight at the end of games.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

In theory I like this idea. But Hudds is very slow and lacking in mobility. He is very classy, receives the ball in tight spaces and never loses it, and great at picking a pass. Not sure centre back is using his best attributes. 

29 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Possibly. One thing that has been apparent in the past few weeks is a lack of leadership when it comes to someone at the back who is happy to ‘get rid’ when under the cosh/crosses coming in/ball pumped into our box.

Swansea was prime example, they were ordinary for most of the game and yet looked inevitable to score at the end just from putting enough pressure on our back line. Hudds looked like the only player willing to put his foot through a ball and clear it.

As much as a nice passing CB would be, we could also benefit from that player having bravery and presence to keep the defence together and tight at the end of games.

In support of Pearce, he has been doing just that for the under 23s this season. 

He gets caught out only on the quick break, but he is a leader of men and will be your 'no nonsense' defender. 

I'd keep Hudds where he is.

Still think we need more cover in the back line, though.

we need someone who who doesn't buckle under pressure. The youngsters are still learning and it is inevitable they will make mistakes. Keogh does on occasions panic and make mistakes. There must be someone we can bring in who will add the leadership and experience and confidence that our defence needs. I 'd like to see a Taribo West type. That man was a tank!

How is it that a thread on possible replacements for Curtis so quickly morphed into a debate on Keogh's ability? I despair sometimes! On thread you have to feel for Pearce. That run of games he had partnering Keogh had people on here putting him up for the captaincy. He was an absolute rock and breathed a shedload of confidence into Keogh too. Can't recall why he was dropped but I think it might have been the Cup game against West Brom when Shackell came in and played like an absolute lion. I might have that wrong, but I seem to recall thinking it was a massive error despite how well Shackell resisted the Baggies aerial bombardment. Pearce should have been retained IMO.

As for Cahill, I'm not sure whether he would come to be honest, but the suggestion he's not Frank's type of CH is way off the mark. He'd be absolutely perfect IMO and a loan until end of season would prevent us being ransomed for big money if we look to buy an improving young CH with an eye on the future. There's seldom bargains to be had in the January window, though our scouting and recruitment seem to be light years ahead of recent seasons, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

All in all, these bloody injuries are a bit of a concern - not sure I can cope with another promising season being derailed by the loss of key players. In Frank we trust, I guess. Three points today would go a long way to settling my currently frazzled nerves, that's for sure! COYR

16 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Use the front of the envelope next time... it's an all-round smoother surface to work with, and calculations wouldn't merge over the flappy bit, which could confuse matters, if said flappy bit subsequently got inadvertently opened.

Some rams fans go round in the same circle sometimes. If it's not Pearce, it's Anya, if it's not Anya, it's Butterfield. These players have had more than one opportunity at the club to make an impact. They have failed on numerous occasions, we are looking to progress as a club so id certainly promote an academy player as backup to Keogh and Tomori. 

The centre back position needs to be looked at in the next two windows though. Keogh should be weined out of the team gently, and Davies will be back up next year. Both players are  approaching the wrong side of 30. 

On 07/12/2018 at 09:47, Anag Ram said:

I don't think I criticised his lack of pace. I merely stated getting slower has affected his confidence.

I take your point about Pearce but he can at least head the ball and bringing him in would probably see us sitting deeper which isn't ideal.

Let’s face it...there’s something about Pearce that raises doubt; he’s a lovely guy and a model pro but that volley-smash into his own face at Wolves away last season has sort of defined him. Hate to say it and I’m sure I’m being unfair. 

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Andre Wisdom played centre half during his Austrian period. Just sayin’ ?

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Let’s face it...there’s something about Pearce that raises doubt; he’s a lovely guy and a model pro but that volley-smash into his own face at Wolves away last season has sort of defined him. Hate to say it and I’m sure I’m being unfair

Indeed you are!  A single mis-kick (comical as it was) is more significant than that run of games with Keogh? I'm not saying Pearce is the answer, indeed I don't believe he is.  More importantly, Frank clearly doesn't either, but it is mildly confusing that he's had so few games in his time here. Could George Evans fulfil the role of a ball-playing CH, I wonder? I think that's where he played for Reading, though I might have that totally wrong! 

Just now, 86 points said:

Indeed you are!  A single mis-kick (comical as it was) is more significant than that run of games with Keogh? I'm not saying Pearce is the answer, indeed I don't believe he is.  More importantly, Frank clearly doesn't either, but it is mildly confusing that he's had so few games in his time here. Could George Evans fulfil the role of a ball-playing CH, I wonder? I think that's where he played for Reading, though I might have that totally wrong! 

Yes you are dead right @86 points. He has proved that he can be water-tight at the back...but we still doubt him. It’s his manner and demeanour ...he just doesn’t exude confidence. 

Archived