Paul Clement Sacked.......again

David

6 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

In this league, where it's sooo close, if you actually have any talent as a coach you won't be struggling at the bottom for long.

Look at McClaren at QPR... much like Reading last season, also had no money to spend and had to rely on loans.  IIRC Reading interviewed McClaren when they appointed Clement. They made a poor choice.

Totally different style... Warnock at Cardiff last year.  Similarly on a shoestring budget,

Wagner at Huddersfield the year before.

There's a real difference in what it takes to be a great no #2 vs a great no #1. I honestly don't believe Clement will be a success anywhere, regardless of the situation of the team. 

Won’t argue that, can’t with what McClaren is doing now with QPR. To be honest all I saw of Reading was looking rubbish Stam, down the bottom of the table. Did he walk into a fractured dressing room, was there issues inside that he didn’t have the experience or know how to get the players on board

Not trying to make excuses for him, just he’s taken 2 jobs now with clubs which were struggling, one of which went down even after his departure with plenty of time left, would not be surprised if Reading went as well this season.

That’s the problem he has now, other clubs will share your views, if he was a decent coach he would have turned them around, he now has to convince a club that Reading and Swansea were both doomed, nothing he could have done to prevent that and he is the real deal. Good luck with that!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rynny said:

Three jobs, each lasting less than a year. Wonder how many still think we would have been promoted if he wasn't sacked. 

TBH, I still think he might have done something here. I dunno what happened between him and Morris but he did have us top for awhile and okay a mini slump but I still feel we pulled the plug too quickly. Makes no difference now, all iffs buts and maybe stuff.

Rome was not built in a day but he never got to breakfast time.

TBF to him he has taken some basket case jobs since leaving us. 

32 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

TBH, I still think he might have done something here. I dunno what happened between him and Morris but he did have us top for awhile and okay a mini slump but I still feel we pulled the plug too quickly. Makes no difference now, all iffs buts and maybe stuff.

Rome was not built in a day but he never got to breakfast time.

TBF to him he has taken some basket case jobs since leaving us. 

To me it seemed as though we were carrying on from 14/15 (the good part) and the longer he was in charge, the more he changed, the worse we got. Players lost their confidence, that bit of swagger we had under Mac. But as you say all ifs and buts now. 

10 minutes ago, rynny said:

To me it seemed as though we were carrying on from 14/15 (the good part) and the longer he was in charge, the more he changed, the worse we got. Players lost their confidence, that bit of swagger we had under Mac. But as you say all ifs and buts now. 

Fair point.. I still think he was unfairly tarred on some transfers. That was all hindsight.. Morris having a wobble and his power trip.. All conspired to cloud his time here.

I can slaughter Pearson, Mac 2 but I feel Clement should be cut some slack.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Fair point.. I still think he was unfairly tarred on some transfers. That was all hindsight.. Morris having a wobble and his power trip.. All conspired to cloud his time here.

I can slaugher Pearson, Mac 2 but I feel Clement should be cut some slack.

I have no issues with any of the summer transfers (maybe should have loaned in Johnson/CM instead of buying), you could see why they were brought in, it's the Blackman and Camara deals that I always have, and will, question.

Personally just don't think he was good enough for what we wanted, I'm glad we gave him a chance, it was refreshing to give an untried manager a go (same as now). The Pearson one is the one that grates me the most (along with Rowett). I'm a Mac lover and won't have bad thing to say about him ?

39 minutes ago, rynny said:

I think he is one of those that wouldn't suit a shaved, not all of us can pull it off. 

I'm starting to get an island going.. It's a big shout to go for them clippers. 

Got to be done at some point though, it's not a good look.

30 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Seems likely that he's just not very good at managing football teams. 

I'm not sure he is the sort that can properly motivate a group of players.  Perhaps he is better suited to being an assistant.  By all accounts he was good at that. 

Different people have different abilities and skills. For example I have some good technical knowledge in my field, but zero skill or inclination towards management, I'd not be good at it and it'd not make me happy.

53 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I'm starting to get an island going.. It's a big shout to go for them clippers. 

Got to be done at some point though, it's not a good look.

Having seen the state of my dad and grandad, I just reached for the clippers on my 25th birthday and never looked back. Jump before I was pushed. 

The last time I had any decent hair was on my wedding day almost 3 years later. I had forgotten to shave my head, and had just enough left in the middle for a little mini Mohawk. Getting dangerously close to an island though. 

13 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Different people have different abilities and skills. For example I have some good technical knowledge in my field, but zero skill or inclination towards management, I'd not be good at it and it'd not make me happy.

I think you may have inadvertently ruled yourself out of the Reading job. 

22 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Having seen the state of my dad and grandad, I just reached for the clippers on my 25th birthday and never looked back. Jump before I was pushed. 

The last time I had any decent hair was on my wedding day almost 3 years later. I had forgotten to shave my head, and had just enough left in the middle for a little mini Mohawk. Getting dangerously close to an island though. 

That's a blessing, not a curse.

My dad was Charlton-esq in his very early twenties, so I've always kept my hair short since the same age, until the barber remarked what a wonderful full head of hair I had, although prematurely grey!

I thought I'd grow it back to the Hugh Grant style I'd had as a youth, but caught sight of myself in a mirror the other day and realised I'd morphed into a more lesbian version of Clare Balding!

Clement thought he could replace Bryson and Hughes with Butterfield and Johnson, he really believed it would be that easy. From that point it was obvious he would be useless as a manager. He could not see that the team dynamic depended on players knowing each other, understanding who would make the runs and when......he was used to working with world class players who could be replaced by another world class player. He has no experience of building a team of players of mixed ability to perform in a league.

He certainly had bad luck though as Bryson and Hughes were the best players in the championship at the time.

54 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Anyone who thinks you can have a gym with no weights in it is always going to struggle.

Anyone who thinks they an secretly remove tens of thousands of pounds worth of equipment Mel just installed because the players really wanted it without Mel finding out and then being annoyed is a bit strange.

Sarri has done the same with weights at Chelsea. Although his players are a lot better technically than ours.

I din't think Reading looked that bad when we played them, but I'll be honest i always thought Clement was a bad choice for them.

Archived