Paul Clement Sacked.......again

David

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He's well on his way to becoming an established proper manager, three sackings and a wealth of failure. Welcome to the merry go round Paul, just hand in there a few months and another club will think about hiring an ambitious new guy, then go for a tried and failed dependability like yourself. Congratulations.

It seems rather harsh and ill-timed unless they have a five star replacement lined up.

6 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

It seems rather harsh and ill-timed unless they have a five star replacement lined up.

His sacking comes less than 24 hours after the club reappointed Nigel Howe as their chief executive.

"Nigel Howe will now seek to swiftly identify and appoint a new manager who will fit the Reading mould, build a team which can deliver performances and results that will help us climb the Championship table and lead the club towards promotion in the future," the statement added.

At a guess, this Howe fellah has a few ideas.

I'm not actually sure if PC was doing a bad job or Reading are just bad these days?

I guess Jokanovic would be an obvious choice given he must live fairly locally or Martin O'Neill for a lot of money. Brentford are struggling and may also be interested in Jokanovic.

It seems hard on Clement as Reading were struggling when he took over and he only appears to have been able to have signed free transfers.

On 30/08/2017 at 17:57, Leicester Ram said:

I've about had it with the Clement arse licking, just seen someone suggesting on twitter that it'd be us signing Renato Sanches if we'd kept Clement.

Seriously, what did the bloke actually do for us that made us better on the pitch?

He took a team that, before being destroyed by injury, was one of the best in the division and made us gradually worse and worse.

None of the players were improving, in fact most of them were getting worse. Bradley Johnson went from being the fittest and most confident player at the club to unfit and next to useless. Chris Martin was chasing lumps upfield, Ince was barely producing and the players who saw the most of the ball were Shackell and Keogh. ducked Jason Shackell was one of our main playmakers, let that settle in.

Clement had a Derby team playing 4-3-3 that included Martin, Thorne and Ince, yet we were getting worse as time went on. A Derby manager has never been backed like he was.

Clough, McClaren, Pearson and Rowett never had/don't have anywhere near the freedom he had.

Clough never got any backing in the transfer market, McClaren mainly worked with loans, Pearson had to sell before he bought, Mac II didn't have his two most important players in Thorne/Martin and Rowett's had to start a rebuild.

As far as football goes, I didn't see anything from him that suggested he's this next Sir Alex Ferguson that would have got us into the promised land.

His Swansea tenure has clearly gone well but he's not done anything that's remotely close to special. He took an underachieving squad and kept them up with a new manager bounce. Alan Pardew's done that.

The Derby lot who still talk about him are boring football hipsters who prefer a manager who wears a nice jumper, sounds good in a Q&A with Mel and gets on with Owen Bradley.

The amount of disrespect Clough and McClaren get despite doing ten times more for this club than Clement ever did really winds me up (as you can probably tell).

So what if we'd got a loan from the bloke he set out cones for.

Can’t believe this was only around 18 months ago.

He got Renato Sanches on loan from Bayern (who was horrible) and Derby twitter acted like he’d won the FA Cup or something.

Fair to say now that we probably wouldn’t have been better off if we’d stuck with Clement...

Waiting for his next tweet which will be a selfie with Beckham or Zidane who he bumped into, weird one. Probably needs to look outside of England if he still wants to persue a career in management, Bundesliga 2 perhaps or Segunda.

After Derby many felt for him, didn’t think he deserved the boot and had the media on his side, took on 2 clubs which were struggling and failed, now his name will barely fill an inch in the tabloids.

Not all managers are cut out for the struggles at the bottom where your Allardyce’s excel, best to avoid these types of jobs now and look for a steady mid table side which have the potential to move up the table.

The most obvious next move is Napoli assistant, but it’s like moving back in with the parents after a failed relationship, needs to stand on his own 2 feet now.

1 hour ago, nfb said:

The 'Reading mould' , oooh ?

Sounds ominously like the 'derby way'. . .  A statement which the press and fans use when things go t!ts up ?

Ha Ha!  Thought exactly the same when I read that!

Much rather have a "Way" than "mould" though!  Bad for your health, is mould!  Eew!

37 minutes ago, David said:

Not all managers are cut out for the struggles at the bottom where your Allardyce’s excel, best to avoid these types of jobs now and look for a steady mid table side which have the potential to move up the table.

In this league, where it's sooo close, if you actually have any talent as a coach you won't be struggling at the bottom for long.

Look at McClaren at QPR... much like Reading last season, also had no money to spend and had to rely on loans.  IIRC Reading interviewed McClaren when they appointed Clement. They made a poor choice.

Totally different style... Warnock at Cardiff last year.  Similarly on a shoestring budget,

Wagner at Huddersfield the year before.

There's a real difference in what it takes to be a great no #2 vs a great no #1. I honestly don't believe Clement will be a success anywhere, regardless of the situation of the team. 

50 minutes ago, David said:

After Derby many felt for him, didn’t think he deserved the boot and had the media on his side, took on 2 clubs which were struggling and failed, now his name will barely fill an inch in the tabloids.

Yeah I think I was in this category, whilst not exactly scintillating football we were in the top six and could have kicked on again.  As a first time manager I felt he deserved more time and leeway to make mistakes.  That said, I have no idea what went on behind the scenes and MM felt it necessary to sack him so we move on.

Since then though his time and Swansea and Reading have been average at best (and that's being kind!) perhaps he's a better coach than manager, or perhaps he needs to choose his next job very wisely and build his career and learn his trade at a lower league with an ambitious, long term thinking owner.  Either that or get on the phone to Carlo...

Archived