We're all watching TV wrong....

Wolfie

Turn off the Motion Smoothing, boys & girls......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46449906

“If you own a modern high-definition television," he said, "there’s a good chance you’re not watching movies the way the filmmakers intended, and the ability for you to do so is not simple to access."

Motion smoothing, or interpolation, is a technique that artificially adds additional frames to the moving image in order to prevent blurring - most effective when watching sport.

But many in the film industry hate it, however, as it can degrade the image quality of the original film, and alter colouring.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Turn off the Motion Smoothing, boys & girls......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46449906

“If you own a modern high-definition television," he said, "there’s a good chance you’re not watching movies the way the filmmakers intended, and the ability for you to do so is not simple to access."

Motion smoothing, or interpolation, is a technique that artificially adds additional frames to the moving image in order to prevent blurring - most effective when watching sport.

But many in the film industry hate it, however, as it can degrade the image quality of the original film, and alter colouring.

Have you done it and does it make a difference?

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

La. Turned mine off when I bought it over 5 years ago. Nothing new under the sun...

9 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Been turning it off for nearly ten years and turning it off when I visit people. Civic duty.

I knew about the noise reduction thing & to turn that off but had never heard of this before.

11 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Actual footage of @Lambchop trying to adjust her motion smoothing so she can watch mission impossible at home...

Screenshot_20181205-211636_Google.thumb.jpg.cd056579cc421976b89e073a649a824b.jpg

What i want to know is what she is doing with @eddie 's ear trumpet? 

If I turn off Samsung decide to turn it back on again whilst I sleep. The same way as they add their TV Plus app to the number 1 slot on my menu bar despite removing it several times, and nag be constantly to connect it to the internet.

If it didn’t cost so much my foot would have gone through it a long time ago, trying to convince the missus we have a major issue with the TV is falling on deaf ears.

Samsung support? They will log it as a big report but cannot update me when or if it will be fixed as they don’t provide software updates on old TV’s. I’ve owned it for around 18 months, brand new from Curry’s.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

There's a noise reduction setting on most TV's, designed to remove visual "noise" from the images

Not ever seen an improvement on digital signals. Did help a bit on a very old VHS machine.

Motion smoothing is also a bit iffy. What I've seen on Sony and Panasonic TVs (49") is that the general sharpness degrades so effectively losing the HD and in fast panning shots the pitch can suddenly look a bit strangely one coloured. On nonsport TV it causes severe artifaction. Particularly on programmes originating abroad.

I have both switched off.  

Archived