Nations League Final

rynny

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

With all this technology you would think the ref wouldn't resort to eenie meenie to decide if a peno or not.

England ‘fans’ making their presence felt in the centre of Porto and the match is still to come.

Luckily for me, I live on the other side of the river, so I am unaffected and I can just get on with my day.

But can you imagine if I wanted to to take a 15 minute walk in the sunshine, cross the river, and get a pomegranate and blueberry ice cream from my favourite vendor? 

I’d die of embarrassment!

Porto is such a beautiful and diverse city, but it is completely lost on many of the people who have come over here.

Those who seem intent on hanging their flags wherever they please, ordering infinite amounts of Super Bock and leaving bottles and plastic glasses scattered everywhere, and singing ‘10 German Bombers...’ and other crass songs, morning, noon, and night.

I am not perfect, and I am no killjoy, but it’s true what they say: You can buy a plane ticket, but you can’t buy class.

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

England ‘fans’ making their presence felt in the centre of Porto and the match is still to come.

Luckily for me, I live on the other side of the river, so I am unaffected and I can just get on with my day.

But can you imagine if I wanted to to take a 15 minute walk in the sunshine, cross the river, and get a pomegranate and blueberry ice cream from my favourite vendor? 

Porto is such a beautiful and diverse city, but it is completely lost on many of the people who have come over here.

Those who seem intent on hanging their flags wherever they please, ordering infinite amounts of Super Bock and leaving bottles and plastic glasses scattered everywhere, and singing ‘10 German Bombers...’ and other crass songs, morning, noon, and night.

I am not perfect, and I am no killjoy, but it’s true what they say: You can buy a plane ticket, but you can’t buy class.

That’s a bit kiljoy-y to be fair. 

Mom sure your ice cream vendor is loving it and doing a roaring trade. As is whoever is selling infinite amounts of super bock. Any large gathering of people leave a mess behind them. Even the environmental protesters in London ironically left a boat load of rubbish behind them for some poor bugger to clean up. 

You take the rough with the smooth when you host an event like this. This is football, not cricket. Are you expecting the fans to sit quietly and drink tea with their pinkies up?

It’s almost as if the city of Porto didn’t know what a football match is. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s a bit kiljoy-y to be fair. 

Mom sure your ice cream vendor is loving it and doing a roaring trade. As is whoever is selling infinite amounts of super bock. Any large gathering of people leave a mess behind them. Even the environmental protesters in London ironically left a boat load of rubbish behind them for some poor bugger to clean up. 

You take the rough with the smooth when you host an event like this. This is football, not cricket. Are you expecting the fans to sit quietly and drink tea with their pinkies up?

Maybe I am being a bit of a killjoy. 

But this is not the World Cup. This is not even the Euros. This is just a normal working week for most local people.

No one minds good natured and well behaved fans, but why is it always England fans who come in large numbers, mark their territory, and behave like they own the place?

Like I said, I live in a quiet area uphill from the wine cellars on the other side of the river and as I am working until the day of the final, it really doesn’t bother me.

But for locals, a whole week of our fans congregating in one central area, singing, boozing, ruffling feathers, might start to grow tiresome. As we saw last night, the police have already lost their patience.

Porto is a small city, a calm and peaceful city, welcoming and accommodating to tourists and visitors in general. But this is on another level - reports of as many as 15,000 England fans in the area during the tournament. 

So while the local businesses and the local government might appreciate the shot in the arm, they also might wonder whether it’s worth the hassle if things get out of hand, which seems probable.

Personally I don’t think Porto is a big enough city to cope with all of the England fans visiting.

On the day of the game, you understand big crowds, singing and drinking.

But our fans have arrived 2-3 days before the game for what is essentially a booze cruise, and made their presence felt and not in an endearing way by all accounts.

Unfortunately for the majority of good, football loving fans the idiot-crowd have found their passports again after Russia. 

I just see no relevance to singing baalocks about the IRA or World War two. 'Your'e adults, with a  family back home, grow the F up'.

Obviously much of this behavior is deeply embarrassing, but I struggle to understand the "lads on tour" mentality in general. Imagine choosing to go to a city like Porto with 100s of amazing bars and restaurants and then choosing to spend your time there standing in a pen in the city centre slamming back over priced lager. What a massive waste of time and money.

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

But this is not the World Cup. This is not even the Euros. This is just a normal working week for most local people.

No one minds good natured and well behaved fans, but why is it always England fans who come in large numbers, mark their territory, and behave like they own the place?

Like I said, I live in a quiet area uphill from the wine cellars on the other side of the river and as I am working until the day of the final, it really doesn’t bother me.

But for locals, a whole week of our fans congregating in one central area, singing, boozing, ruffling feathers, might start to grow tiresome. As we saw last night, the police have already lost their patience.

Porto is a small city, a calm and peaceful city, welcoming and accommodating to tourists and visitors in general. But this is on another level - reports of as many as 15,000 England fans in the area during the tournament. 

So while the local businesses and the local government might appreciate the shot in the arm, they also might wonder whether it’s worth the hassle if things get out of hand, which seems probable.

Personally I don’t think Porto is a big enough city to cope with all of the England fans visiting.

But our fans have arrived 2-3 days before the game for what is essentially a booze cruise, and made their presence felt and not in an endearing way by all accounts.

https://www.the42.ie/sporting-fans-attack-players-bas-dost-4016958-May2018/

13 minutes ago, Srg said:

This is a fair point. There was also an instance recently of a youth game between Ajax and Feyenoord having to be abandoned because of ultras attacking families. It's really only relevant when we're referring to sad old virtue signalling bankers who seemingly despise their own nation and take any opportunity they can to snipe at people. I don't see a problem with the point Jourdan made. Yes, he's incorrect in implying that this behavior is exclusive to England fans, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't demand higher standards of ourselves.

1 minute ago, Anon said:

This is a fair point. There was also an instance recently of a youth game between Ajax and Feyenoord having to be abandoned because of ultras attacking families. It's really only relevant when we're referring to sad old virtue signalling bankers who seemingly despise their own nation and take any opportunity they can to snipe at people. I don't see a problem with the point Jourdan made. Yes, he's incorrect in implying that this behavior is exclusive to England fans, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't demand higher standards of ourselves.

I'm not defending the mindless actions of the few, but being well followed doesn't mean everyone should get thrown under the same bus as the few. My point was that every single nation has a portion of mindless idiots - and you could say that you're less likely to find "fans" going to the lengths i've linked in England than you are abroad. It's the holier than thou attitude I don't appreciate.

Probably should’ve lodges an objection with the city council when they bid to host the finals then. 

Mid it’s being billed as big as the World Cup or the euros, then that’s a problem with councils marketing department. Fancy going to the effort of bidding for an event and then not bugging it up so everyone in the city is super excited by the idea of hosting all these fans and the revenue they bring. They’ve either dropped the ball by hosting an event they can’t handle, or dropped the ball by not getting the locals on board with the idea. 

5 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I just see no relevance to singing baalocks about the IRA or World War two. 'Your'e adults, with a  family back home, grow the F up'.

I get they’re a bit silly, but I don’t really understand the outrage surrounding those songs.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Where have I said that all other fans are perfect?

Russian fans, Italian fans, Portuguese fans and countless others - some of the behaviour of fans from other countries is downright despicable. We know about it, we’ve read about it, we may have even seen it and lived it.

Pointing out that other countries’ fans are just as bad or often worse shouldn’t be grounds to justify the behaviour of our own fans.

Let’s not make light of a problem that seems to crop up regularly when our fans travel abroad.

Surely we have to consider how we can put our own behaviour right, rather than simply brushing it off as ‘it is what it is’.

And @Srg, no-one has a holier than thou attitude.

I am not perfect. I have been drunk before and probably beyond the point that’s acceptable to many observers.

But when you are travelling overseas, you are stepping out of your comfort zone and into a place where sensible conduct, being a good ambassador for the country, having consideration for others around you should be a priority.

Our fans travel to places like Porto and play by their own rules. They make sure they are seen, they make sure they are heard and the lasting impression our fans usually leave is not a good one, minority or not. It’s historical.

At 18, I started travelling and since the age of 23, I have lived in various countries.

I don’t have spotters and riot police following my every movement.

Their mistake. ?

Archived