Nations League Final

rynny

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, HantsRam said:

So does Gareth play all the big guns (such as they are) and go for it. Or does he save them for the potentially crucial double header with Bulgaria and Kosovo in September ?

He will play the big guns.. 

Cheap airfares as well. Couple of hours on the train and then we're good.

Suppose it would be nice to win a trophy, but if we need a second chance to qualify from a group where the top two qualify, which contains Kosovo, Bulgaria, Montenegro and the Czech Republic then we shouldn't be there in the first place

Guimarães is further north than Porto but still very close. It’s only 1 hour and 20 minutes away by train, and maybe less than an hour by car.

Apparently it’s nice for a day trip, but not much more. 

So it’s a good idea to base yourself in Porto for the majority of the trip and then travel to Guimaraes on the day of the semis. You can stay overnight, or party on until 5:45am when the first train of the day goes to Porto.

Porto is a really beautiful city. If any of you need recommendations in the run up to the tournament, let me know.

On 12/12/2018 at 00:01, Jourdan said:

Guimarães is further north than Porto but still very close. It’s only 1 hour and 20 minutes away by train, and maybe less than an hour by car.

Apparently it’s nice for a day trip, but not much more. 

So it’s a good idea to base yourself in Porto for the majority of the trip and then travel to Guimaraes on the day of the semis. You can stay overnight, or party on until 5:45am when the first train of the day goes to Porto.

Porto is a really beautiful city. If any of you need recommendations in the run up to the tournament, let me know.

What do they drink in Porto?

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

What do they drink in Porto?

They love wine here. They have your typical varieties - red, white, rose - but they also have something regional called vinho verde, which is named in this way due to its ‘young age’. It’s worth a try.

Of course, Port wine is everywhere. You can get so many varieties - white, ruby, rose, tawny and the various ‘X year old’ bottles - and it’s definitely worth going to a wine cellar and taking a tour with a wine tasting. Try the cocktail ‘Porto Tonico’ too - it’s white Port with tonic water. Absolutely sublime on a summer’s night!

The local beers here are Super Bock and Sagres, primarily the first one is popular here in Porto. Cheap and no frills. 

In cafes and restaurants, it’s rare to find a huge selection of beers unless it’s their USP. But at the same time, often you are paying €2 for a beer, so what’s the fuss?

The food here though is great if you love meat. The francesinha, for example, is the culinary symbol of the city - thick bread filled with steak, smoked sausage, and ham, covered in melted cheese, a fried egg and a special tomato sauce with a dash or two of beer, usually with a side of chips. It costs anywhere from €8-10 which seems a lot. But you won’t need to eat for the rest of the day after it, so good value really.

I could go on forever about the food, so I’ll add more another day.

15 hours ago, Jourdan said:

They love wine here. They have your typical varieties - red, white, rose - but they also have something regional called vinho verde, which is named in this way due to its ‘young age’. It’s worth a try.

Of course, Port wine is everywhere. You can get so many varieties - white, ruby, rose, tawny and the various ‘X year old’ bottles - and it’s definitely worth going to a wine cellar and taking a tour with a wine tasting. Try the cocktail ‘Porto Tonico’ too - it’s white Port with tonic water. Absolutely sublime on a summer’s night!

The local beers here are Super Bock and Sagres, primarily the first one is popular here in Porto. Cheap and no frills. 

In cafes and restaurants, it’s rare to find a huge selection of beers unless it’s their USP. But at the same time, often you are paying €2 for a beer, so what’s the fuss?

The food here though is great if you love meat. The francesinha, for example, is the culinary symbol of the city - thick bread filled with steak, smoked sausage, and ham, covered in melted cheese, a fried egg and a special tomato sauce with a dash or two of beer, usually with a side of chips. It costs anywhere from €8-10 which seems a lot. But you won’t need to eat for the rest of the day after it, so good value really.

I could go on forever about the food, so I’ll add more another day.

love all of the snack bars in porto. just so nice for informal eating/drinking.

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

@Angry Ram, do you follow England away often?

One day, when I have some more money (fingers crossed), I'd love to do it. 

Little Angry is of an age now where we are more like mates than father and son. We have done a couple, Germany and Holland away and had a brilliant time. Forget all the bad press, it’s great having a few beers and a laugh with fans of other clubs with no tension. In Germany we were drinking with Brum and Villa, no problem. Forest in Dam. Great laugh. 

Its not cheap, that’s for sure but it has to be experienced. Always a good few Derby about as well. 

We will do quite a few now. I live 30 mins from Wembley, so although not so much fun will do a few more home games as well. 

If you get a chance do it. Not sure how the dark fruits will go down. Better tell everyone you’re Leicester or something.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived