3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

As a aside, a Brighton fan was arrested for throwing a pie at Wilfred Zaha the other night! 

Once officers had confirmed the pie thrower wasn't racially motivated by tasting the filling, he was bailed to appear at a later date.

I wasn’t aware of this but l think l can guess the outcome. Did Zaha quickly get the pie under control, before rushing off at speed attempting a combination of stepovers and drag backs, before the pie ultimately came to rest atop Lewis Dunk’s dining room table?

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

I wasn’t aware of this but l think l can guess the outcome. Did Zaha quickly get the pie under control, before rushing off at speed attempting a combination of stepovers and drag backs, before the pie ultimately came to rest atop Lewis Dunk’s dining room table?

Landed on the floor next to him and he hit the deck holding his face, rolling around. 

11 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Really?

If this is the case, you either don't know how bad things used to be or you pay no attention to what happens in football grounds.

I can honestly say I cannot remember any incidents of racism that I have witnessed inside a football ground for years and years  (although this obviously doesn't mean it doesn't happen).

We have the 'Kick It Out' campaign where players must wear t-shirts promoting anti racism, we have players wearing rainbow laces (I know this is not race related) and we even have various parties banging the drum for people who are not white to be given interviews for positions they are probably not really fit to do (not based on colour).

I'm genuinely shocked if you think an isolated incident, where there is no evidence of racism, is an indicator that there has been no progress on prejudice inside football.

I’m sure there has been progress.

As for no evidence of racism?

I’m not a criminal lawyer and I’m not passing judgement without me being able to see the full prosecution file but I suspect that throwing a banana skin at a black man is deemed grounds to investigate an alleged offence of racially aggravated offence.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/tottenham/tottenham-fan-who-threw-banana-skin-at-aubameyang-quizzed-by-police-over-race-offence-as-spurs-issue-a4007896.html%3famp

Edited by coneheadjohn

48 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

I’m sure there has been progress.

As for no evidence of racism?

I’m not a criminal lawyer and I’m not passing judgement without me being able to see the full prosecution file but I suspect that throwing a banana skin at a black man is deemed grounds to investigate an alleged offence of racially aggravated offence.

Where is the evidence of racism then?

The only argument that I can see is that a banana skin is a racist symbol.

There appeared to be plenty of things being thrown, are the other perpetrators automatically not deemed racist because they threw coins rather than a banana skin?

Had the goalscorer been white and the perpetrator been black (or whatever the pc term is these days) what would they have had to throw for it to be deemed racist?

Personally, I think morons who are prepared to throw things at footballers are most likely to throw the first thing that comes to hand.

Of course I could be completely wrong and this guy could have taken a banana into the ground with the sole intention  of throwing it at a black player, however, assuming this as the default position is wrong in my opinion.

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Where is the evidence of racism then?

The only argument that I can see is that a banana skin is a racist symbol.

There appeared to be plenty of things being thrown, are the other perpetrators automatically not deemed racist because they threw coins rather than a banana skin?

Had the goalscorer been white and the perpetrator been black (or whatever the pc term is these days) what would they have had to throw for it to be deemed racist?

Personally, I think morons who are prepared to throw things at footballers are most likely to throw the first thing that comes to hand.

Of course I could be completely wrong and this guy could have taken a banana into the ground with the sole intention  of throwing it at a black player, however, assuming this as the default position is wrong in my opinion.

The police have arrested him and are investigating him on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.

I have no idea what their evidence is.

Edited by coneheadjohn

28 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

The police have arrested him and are investigating him on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence.

Your original post said 'as for no evidence of racism?' So I assumed that there was evidence that was public knowledge.

As far as I can see the only evidence is a banana skin.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Your original post said 'as for no evidence of racism?' So I assumed that there was evidence that was public knowledge.

As far as I can see the only evidence is a banana skin.

That’s why I quoted the article.

The police had arrested him and are investigating him on suspicion of a racially aggravated assault.

They must have felt they had enough evidence to make that arrest.

I’ve no idea what the evidence is,it’s just an assumption that throwing a banana skin at a black man is racist in these circumstances.

Edited by coneheadjohn

9 hours ago, StringerBell said:

If I'm reading that right, you think all pitch invaders should receive the same treatment as someone who assaults a player, because they might assault a player? Seems a bit minority report.

Im saying a few months ban is insufficient. 

Yes i think punishment should be harsher. 

20 hours ago, StringerBell said:

If the unconscious became conscious then what are we still to do about the unconscious bias?

I often don't act on my conscious thoughts never mind the unconscious ones. And I'm not going out of my way to treat certain people differently to alleviate for some thoughts I may or may not be having.

IAT's aren't reliable either

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/culture-conscious/201706/is-implicit-bias-useful-scientific-concept%3famp

I don't get your question at all. For example, racism can be conscious or unconscious. Sometimes people disagree with their own unconscious mind and want it to change.

The beauty of science, you'll always find the opposite view. I didn't check the reliability of the test I linked, but most of them are based on a very reliable and valid one which was created in Harvard after millions of test uses. Usually, you're pretty safe with these big universities publishes, they have too much to lose not to check everything properly.

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

I missed that, the evening standard reported this 4/12 as follows

Mr Panteli said he regrets the incident and intends to plead guilty to throwing a missile on the pitch when he appears at Highbury Corner Magistrates Court on December 18.

The FA have dropped their probe into the incident after police ruled it was not racially aggravated.

has there been an update?

27 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

That’s why I quoted the article.

The police had arrested him and are investigating him on suspicion of a racially aggravated assault.

They must have felt they had enough evidence to make that arrest.

I’ve no idea what the evidence is,it’s just an assumption that throwing a banana skin at a black man is racist in these circumstances.

And for me that's the problem that I mentioned in an earlier post, the automatic assumption where a non white person involved is that it must be racism.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Still a banana skin, but from one of those individually wrapped organic fairtrade 'prefectly ripe' bananas from M&S.

18 hours ago, maxjam said:

I think leftie's wait until everyone is comfortable with a term then change it suddenly so they can keep hitting people over the head with a big stick 😛

Can't use that  term mate.......thats species-ist.

It's "multi-cellular organisms of the phylum chordata within the kingdom animalia" if you don't mind 😄

34 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

So it seems.

Im not saying don't ban him but lifetime seems ott.

Agree.

Anyone that throws an object onto a pitch should be charged under the same offence.  If the object has potential to injure or is racially motivated charge them with additional offences,

Life bans though?  Ignores potential for personal growth or genuine remorse - even murderers get let out eventually.