Euro draw

Mr. P

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

So what happens if England win their Europa League playoffs in May? Do they still have to play in this group? 

Apparently so. According to Wikipedia, the 20 nations league winners get a "2nd chance " to qualify for the European Championships by being entered into playoffs to take place in spring 2020.

If any of the division winners are among the 20nations who will qualify through the groups then their place in the playoffs will be allocated to the next highest ranking team etc etc 

This is all after the finals for the coveted nations league trophy in Portugal in June 2019.....the winner of which doesn't get any special treatment- theyre obviously already one of the division winners so eligible to be in the spring 2020 playoffs. 

Phew..........?

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Apparently so. According to Wikipedia, the 20 nations league winners get a "2nd chance " to qualify for the European Championships by being entered into playoffs to take place in spring 2020.

If any of the division winners are among the 20nations who will qualify through the groups then their place in the playoffs will be allocated to the next highest ranking team etc etc 

This is all after the finals for the coveted nations league trophy in Portugal in June 2019.....the winner of which doesn't get any special treatment- theyre obviously already one of the division winners so eligible to be in the spring 2020 playoffs. 

Phew..........?

Thanks. Misunderstood that then. I though the nations league winners qualified automatically. 

9 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Thanks. Misunderstood that then. I though the nations league winners qualified automatically. 

they qualify via that route only if they don't qualify from the groups, I think that is right?  So in a way you are correct winning the nations league guarantees a qualification if needed.  Please correct me if I'm wrong

31 minutes ago, Spanish said:

they qualify via that route only if they don't qualify from the groups, I think that is right?  So in a way you are correct winning the nations league guarantees a qualification if needed.  Please correct me if I'm wrong

Winning a Nations League group means you qualify for the playoffs

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

But who do you play in the play offs? One of the other group winners? In which case, what if they qualify through the groups and you don’t?

Yes one of the other group winners. If they’ve qualified the normal way, then they’re replaced by the next highest ranked team (I assume highest placed team in the division of the team already qualified). Only 4 of the teams in the playoffs will qualify (1 from each league)

But who do you play in the play offs? One of the other group winners? In which case, what if they qualify through the groups and you don’t?

This might explain it better. 

With the top two qualifying from each group, the only play-offs are those from the Nations League positions.

Each team who won their Nations League group qualifies for a play-off place - unless they advance automatically through the regular qualifiers. In that case, the next best team in their league (in terms of position in their group, points and goal difference) take their play-off place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46294129

1 hour ago, rynny said:

This might explain it better. 

With the top two qualifying from each group, the only play-offs are those from the Nations League positions.

Each team who won their Nations League group qualifies for a play-off place - unless they advance automatically through the regular qualifiers. In that case, the next best team in their league (in terms of position in their group, points and goal difference) take their play-off place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46294129

So if the top 3 teams all qualify through the normal route then someone like Ireland could still have a shot through the play offs. So they’re basically supporting all the other teams from their group during the qualifying stages. 

So if the top 3 teams all qualify through the normal route then someone like Ireland could still have a shot through the play offs. So they’re basically supporting all the other teams from their group during the qualifying stages. 

Top 2 qualify automatically. If either of those have a play off place then the play off place passes to the team that finishes third in the league. I guess it gives the bottom teams something to play for. 

So if England win the group Czech finish second and Bulgaria third, Bulgaria are then in the play offs to qualify.

In Scotland's group if they finish bottom they are still in the play offs to qualify regardless.

Looking at our group, Kosovo have a play off place already also, so there is a possibility of having 4 teams from this group in the finals. 

14 minutes ago, rynny said:

Top 2 qualify automatically. If either of those have a play off place then the play off place passes to the team that finishes third in the league. I guess it gives the bottom teams something to play for. 

So if England win the group Czech finish second and Bulgaria third, Bulgaria are then in the play offs to qualify.

In Scotland's group if they finish bottom they are still in the play offs to qualify regardless.

Looking at our group, Kosovo have a play off place already also, so there is a possibility of having 4 teams from this group in the finals. 

Is it next best in the Euro qualifying groups, or next best in the Nations League? My interpretation was the latter.

9 hours ago, Spanish said:

Not according to Wiki. If you win the nations league but don't qualify through the 2020 group then you go into the spring 2019 playoffs.

There we would be pitched against all the other A league division winners. Unless they have qualified through the groups in which case you chuck them out of the playoffs and promote the next best record and so on ......

Hideously complicated. 

37 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Not according to Wiki. If you win the nations league but don't qualify through the 2020 group then you go into the spring 2019 playoffs.

There we would be pitched against all the other A league division winners. Unless they have qualified through the groups in which case you chuck them out of the playoffs and promote the next best record and so on ......

Hideously complicated. 

So not worth much apart from ranking, so a bit rank then

Archived