v Wigan (a) match day thread

RiddingsRam

53 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Perhaps you got a little carried away with a couple of stellar performances? 

If you're judging the team to those standards then no wonder you moan so much!

To me we're one of the many teams scrapping it out for a play off place... dangerous on our day but with the same frailties that most other clubs have at this level, particularly this season.

When we're good we're very good (WBA, first half hour at Boro), but at present this is in 15-20 min patches rather than the 60-70 (or 90!) mins that we want.

Lower your expectations and you might be content sitting in 3rd place with a rookie manager, a young developing team and a net spend over the last 2 seasons that should see us expecting a 5th-10th finish, rather than a top 2 finish.

Trust me, as much as I may moan on here I don’t “expect” a top 2 finish. Naturally we should be trying to get one (who shouldn’t?) but we are indeed a team not as complete I suppose as others, so my personal expectation is playoffs ie. not fall back from last season, but hopefully with a better style of play. Unfortunately I’m a ridiculous level perfectionist so my mind always turns to anything that could be slightly better, whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing I don’t know, certainly probably a bad thing to those who read my posts! It’s just when we’re capable of playing better and we’re held back by our own lax effort etc that annoys me, which seemed to be the case today. Mind I wasn’t there today, but I was at Wednesday and that imo was exactly what led to our slow start. That’s what I’m asking to be sorted out, not for us to win every game 8-0, just for us to leave games thinking we couldn’t have done any better than we did

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Trust me, as much as I may moan on here I don’t “expect” a top 2 finish. Naturally we should be trying to get one (who shouldn’t?) but we are indeed a team not as complete I suppose as others, so my personal expectation is playoffs ie. not fall back from last season, but hopefully with a better style of play. Unfortunately I’m a ridiculous level perfectionist so my mind always turns to anything that could be slightly better, whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing I don’t know, certainly probably a bad thing to those who read my posts! It’s just when we’re capable of playing better and we’re held back by our own lax effort etc that annoys me, which seemed to be the case today. Mind I wasn’t there today, but I was at Wednesday and that imo was exactly what led to our slow start. That’s what I’m asking to be sorted out, not for us to win every game 8-0, just for us to leave games thinking we couldn’t have done any better than we did

Don't forget there is always an opposing team trying to do their own thing coupled with the fact the lads aren't robots. Sometimes things just don't click for no tangible reason.

15 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I was watching on TV and Wilson did zero wrong in either instance - there was no silly reaction. He turned to walk away and lowered his head as you do as you start to walk.

He actually acted with maturity because he'd just been hauled down and didn't get a blatant free kick.

Morsy went over like a sack of spuds when Wilsons head never came within a foot of his and he was at right angles to him.

The replay was shown 7 or 8 times in all, there is no debate. I think it was Kevin Wilson who said 'he's going to be really embarrassed when he (Morsy) sees that'.

As for the 'dive' - he never even appealed ffs! 

Plus he jumped straight back up again.

Wilson did great and when people see the replay nobody will have any doubt.

12 hours ago, rynny said:

Wilson's reaction is due to Morsy standing on Wilson's hand (wouldn't surprise if he did it on purpose), so I can kind of understand why he wanted to have a go at him, Morsy is the one who went head to head with Wilson, and ran off like a cry baby once he knew Wilson wasn't going to react to it. 

First half incident was at other end so didn't really see it properly, just looked like he got in the opponents face. Regardless of what happened he was on a booking. 

The second incident I'm in no doubt that it was a dive and he jumped to his feet once he realised he had not conned the officials. Was a booking in my view.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Don't forget there is always an opposing team trying to do their own thing coupled with the fact the lads aren't robots. Sometimes things just don't click for no tangible reason.

Yeah, i agree with much of @Millenniumram, but then try and remind myself that Lampard has managed about 25 games, and faced 10 men for a total of 90 minutes.

He isn't going to fugure it all out straight away.

But I still get concerned about the slow starts, and the arrogance that gets into the front 3 or 4 at times. Marriott not included.

43 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

First half incident was at other end so didn't really see it properly, just looked like he got in the opponents face. Regardless of what happened he was on a booking. 

He got the booking for that didn't he? 

Myself and Will were out in Snottingham last night when we spotted 2 chaps with red scarves and that strange cauliflower motif walking towards us. As soon as they were next to us Will says on cue:

will: Florist lost at home today!

me: yep! Brilliant!

florist fans carried on walking until they were about 65 yards away. Then started shouting abuse back....we stopped waved and laughed our heads off. Classic. 

I think that if we swapped the two halves over (i.e. if we played poorly in the first and played some lovely stuff in the second)  we would be delighted with that game. Remember Birmingham at home, where we brushed over the first half performance and focused on the excellent second? People forget that we were absolutely brilliant in the first 30 minutes and that we could have scored plenty. Paul Cook's changes were effective, but we had enough about us to get the win.

Edit: I also think that there is a huge difference between watching/listening to the game from afar and actually being at the ground. The atmosphere at the end was jubilant and it felt like a job well done. I feel that some of this is lost upon those who weren't there, hence the slightly negative comments from the likes of @Millenniumram.

Both perspectives are required; those who were at the game to report on the atmosphere and how the players felt at the end, and those who were consuming the game in a different capacity to offer a more level-headed perspective on where we might improve.

16 hours ago, Pat_fromAus said:

JUST FANTASTIC, thanks to the most amazing supporter group I’ve been lucky enough to be a part of, sorry I didn’t catch you @Steve How Hard?, maybe we can reunite and I can finally take him down under. A massive thanks to @coneheadjohn@BarrowRam and his wife for helping me get the tickets, I don’t have a bad thing to say about this club and it’s fans, thankyou so much for making it one of the most memorable matches of my life

Will have to now tick off the bucket list of seeing them play In Derby and I think I’ll have to drag my father along to that one.

once again thankyou all

Forever COYR from the distant lands of Australia 

Kindest Regards Pat

PS the other photo is of my dad over 40 years ago and this year at the town sign for Derby, Australia, just further illustrate the heritage of our blood

7F2FCCBB-6D31-4967-B9BA-455C29A46221.jpeg

25ECA71C-4D47-428E-B2B7-DF0C94D321AE.jpeg

Glad you enjoyed it mate,loved those pictures,they made me feel good about life and a bit emotional.

Thats what it’s all about.

How cold was it?

17 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Glad you enjoyed it mate,loved those pictures,they made me feel good about life and a bit emotional.

Thats what it’s all about.

How cold was it?

You should feel good about life John. You helped Pat_fromAus fulfill his dream of watching the mighty rams. Pat really appreciated what you did getting the ticket for him.

14 minutes ago, BarrowRam said:

You should feel good about life John. You helped Pat_fromAus fulfill his dream of watching the mighty rams. Pat really appreciated what you did getting the ticket for him.

He wouldn’t have if you hadn’t passed it him.

That’s great.

And being kind is underrated.

19 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

We’ve gone up to third cause we scraped the win. Doesn’t make any baring on the performance. Perform like that was and you’re more likely to lose than you are to win, and are likely to drop down the table. Sorry but it’s the truth, no use covering it up. Well done for seeing the result through, but performances are what breed long term success.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a56bf7ff-3373-43c6-b8e5-b9d6f48fcd2c

Not bad at all

we didn’t buckle at the end 

we stood firm

second game in a row

would have lost both of them not so long back 

I don’t think fourth is too bad a place to be , personally . Think it’s quite good actually and beyond my start of season expectations .

interesting to compare to last season  - pretty well the same ? And still the appalling post Xmas run to compare against ? : we must be well set ...

20 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

Anybody else at the game think the attendance at @10,700 was a little "generous"? There were loads of empty seats and just before kick off it felt more like a pre-season friendly.

Pitch was in good nick though but then again it is the rugby league close season.....?

I was sat in the main stand so hard to see how that was populated ,the other two home stands had more empty seats than occupied  the away end was about 2/3 to 3/4 full .

3 hours ago, Poynton ram said:

Anybody else at the game think the attendance at @10,700 was a little "generous"? There were loads of empty seats and just before kick off it felt more like a pre-season friendly.

Pitch was in good nick though but then again it is the rugby league close season.....?

We were thinking the same thing, assuming there were 2,000 of us we estimated the crowd to be 8/9,000.

Having said that, I thought that they were quite noisy throughout the second half. 

Thanks to all the posts in this thread - I was sentenced to trudging round Asda looking for signal so I could update this thread as often as I could, interrupted by "Where have you gone this time?" every so often. But each update was a light at the end of aisle, so thanks guys!

Archived