Jacob Butterfield - Joined Bradford City on loan

LB_DCFC

18 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

So why doesn't he ??????

Because we gave him the contract of a lifetime no doubt. Had us all drooling at the time but with hindsight I'm sure Mel doesn't panic and splash out on Butters and BJ given the opportunity again.

Can't really blame him. Went away last year to get football, should be on loan at Hull right now if it wasn't for admin issues? 

Either way it's lose lose. Players get hammered for not honouring their contracts when they're good but then get hounded out for staying when they're not wanted. 

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

If him and Anya got their noses out of the money trough and REALLY wanted to play football instead of counting the money every Friday then they would get a move sorted. I will put the kettle on and wait and see ! 

Well he was going to Hull in the summer but the paperwork didn't go through in time. Not exactly his fault is it? 

9 hours ago, Seaside Ram said:

It needs a player who puts playing above money . Don't bother replying as we will just go round in circles , all the best and COYR ????

He's got years left yet and won't get a better deal throughout the remainder of his career than the one he's on now. He's never refused to play or been unprofessional and apparently has impressed with the U23's. Basically, he deserves no criticism. He's only doing what I and most people would do and maximising every financial opportunity whilst it's there and if that means a couple of years of reserve action or being on loan then so be it. 

11 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not seen anyone say that either player is great. My view is that Anya is an average player at Championship level, hindered by being played in too many positions. Butterfield is much better than many on here seem to think he is but for most if his time with us he's been played far too deep, similar to how we used Will Hughes on many occasions - they both have the ability to make a killer pass and far more productive doing it in the opposition penalty box than in our own half. He's a talent wasted as far as I'm concerned but time for him to move on.

I’m sorry

The number of killer passes can be counted on one hand .. if that 

Iv found his inability to weight and slide in a pass quite shocking tbh for someone that is described as a “creative player”

id be surprised if Bradley hadn’t created more tbh and he’s far from what we’d call creative 

at his best for us he’s Been neat and tidy and “got us on the ball” which isn’t being derogatory to him, and it’s what I thought he was brought in to do 

And In patches as a midfielder myself Iv enjoyed watching him as I say “getting us playing”, there’s an art to it and I enjoyed watching him pick the ball up in nice little pockets and moving it quickly and efficiently 

but he just goes missing in games for too longer spells to have ever made a shirt his own 

but I would hardly classify him as particularly creative 

just a bad move for player and club 

He's never really fitted in or really looked the part. Butterfield and Anya must go down as the worst deals in recent history. Reportablely 10m+ in fees and high wages on really long contracts.

No wonder since those pair we have only been dishing out shorter contracts as it's a nightmare to get rid of them.

its all relative.

i sometimes wonder how the fanbase would react if we wasted £30m on some of the dross Man Utd have bought for that money.

they don't seem to bother whereas there would be a meltdown on here. 

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

its all relative.

i sometimes wonder how the fanbase would react if we wasted £30m on some of the dross Man Utd have bought for that money.

they don't seem to bother whereas there would be a meltdown on here. 

It's a good point but if man Utd waste 30m it makes no difference to them they will just buy more.

If we waste 10m it can put us years behind.

34 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

I’m sorry

The number of killer passes can be counted on one hand .. if that 

Iv found his inability to weight and slide in a pass quite shocking tbh for someone that is described as a “creative player”

id be surprised if Bradley hadn’t created more tbh and he’s far from what we’d call creative 

at his best for us he’s Been neat and tidy and “got us on the ball” which isn’t being derogatory to him, and it’s what I thought he was brought in to do 

And In patches as a midfielder myself Iv enjoyed watching him as I say “getting us playing”, there’s an art to it and I enjoyed watching him pick the ball up in nice little pockets and moving it quickly and efficiently 

but he just goes missing in games for too longer spells to have ever made a shirt his own 

but I would hardly classify him as particularly creative 

just a bad move for player and club 

It's amazing how biased some can be. 

Butterfield

Games: 81

Mins played: 5623

Equivalent games played: 62

Key passes: 61-68

Key passes per game: 0.75-0.84

Key passes per 90 mins: 1.09

Johnson

Games: 114

Mins played: 8913

Equivalent games played: 99

Key passes: 74-83

Key passes per game: 0.65-0.73

Key passes per 90 mins: 0.84

1 hour ago, jono said:

I liked his passing ability and he can clearly play football but for me there was a lack of fire in his belly 

That is one thing I’ll always agree with. For all his ability and strengths, he always seemed to be half a**** without the ball. But in the 23s this season he looks a more aggressive version, playing like he was trying to prove something. Hopefully he gets a move off it.

20 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

There is absolutely no way Butterfield would add anything to this team!! He can’t tackle, he doesn’t have the engine to play 4-3-3, takes too many touches plays with his head down despite his passing ability. Because he’s been out the side for a while people are looking at his contribution through rose tinted glasses. Technically a good player no question, but never been the right fit for Derby, as he wasn’t for Norwich Boro it Sheff Weds. 

How those can even suggest he justifies a place ahead of Bryson is beyond me. Bryson’s workrate and defensive contribution is much greater, when he plays badly he’s still a solid 6/7 out of 10, when fully fit he contributes to our attack as he’s demonstrated earlier on this season (Brentford, United, Sheff Utd). Butterfield does neither as demonstrated under Mac 2 where he barely scored any goals and was present in all our away day hammerings in the second half of that season which for me were the some of the worst Derby performances in recent years. If you want Bryson out the team there are several ahead of Jacob in the pecking order and rightly so.

Technically good, never fitted, needs to move on. I won’t be sad about it, I’m only sad about George.

Bryson is enjoying another bang average season, of many. The sort that Butterfield and others would be getting slammed for. 

“But he runs around a lot” 

Garbage. And also on the way out this summer hopefully. 

2 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Bryson is enjoying another bang average season, of many. The sort that Butterfield and others would be getting slammed for. 

Completely agree with this. I'm far from a Butterfield fan, but he's hardly worse than some of the other players who have been playing in his position the best few years. 

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's amazing how biased some can be. 

Butterfield

Games: 81

Mins played: 5623

Equivalent games played: 62

Key passes: 61-68

Key passes per game: 0.75-0.84

Key passes per 90 mins: 1.09

Johnson

Games: 114

Mins played: 8913

Equivalent games played: 99

Key passes: 74-83

Key passes per game: 0.65-0.73

Key passes per 90 mins: 0.84

Don’t worry its fine Iv never rated either 

genuinely they both epitomise our inconsistencies Over the last however many seasons 

both are one good, game 2 average ones, 2 stinkers 

fortunately neither has frank ? 

16 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Him stumbling over his own feet and falling on to the ball hand first to give away a pen away at Sunderland last season will be how I remember him. He went down in stages and managed to cost us two points in the process. 

I'll best remember him for that screamer at Huddersfield.

He was playing for Huddersfield at the time, mind!

2 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I agree Bryson’s been average but FWIW I think it’s a good idea to have a player out there that the fans will never turn on.

Clearly in the final year of this cycle of the midfield. By the summer Johnson, Butterfield, Bryson, Thorne and Ledley will all be gone. It’s a lot of the wage bill that’s going to be cleaned up.

Whether you think Butterfield clueless or Bryson’s overrated or Johnson’s a clogged etc, I think we’ve all got to be in agreement that we’re desperate for a fresh start in midfield.

Not been good enough for a while now.

39 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I agree Bryson’s been average but FWIW I think it’s a good idea to have a player out there that the fans will never turn on.

Clearly in the final year of this cycle of the midfield. By the summer Johnson, Butterfield, Bryson, Thorne and Ledley will all be gone. It’s a lot of the wage bill that’s going to be cleaned up.

Whether you think Butterfield clueless or Bryson’s overrated or Johnson’s a clogged etc, I think we’ve all got to be in agreement that we’re desperate for a fresh start in midfield.

Not been good enough for a while now.

Amen, brother.

Archived