Sign in to follow this  
LB_DCFC

Jacob Butterfield - Joined Bradford City on loan

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Absolutely agree. The guy desperately needs to be playing. Yes one of those teams has asked about him, and obviously there's bound to be big appeal, but I think he needs to be the main man somewhere to rediscover his mojo. 

From a selfish Rams perspective it's no good having a group of players frozen out of the action, as it has to breed negativity while sucking up wages. So, for us, anywhere will do indeed. 

Why don't you say which team?

Butterfield has never justified his transfer fee for which the club is still paying. I have no doubt that he is also on decent wages.Coupled with the signings of Johnson, Blackman and Anya Butterfield is a considerable financial burden. This isn't his fault. The club's transfer policy under Paul Clement was ruinous and has hindered our chances of promotion. Whether Butterfield goes now is irrelevant because he is out of contract in the summer and I doubt that he will be offered a new contract.

I wonder whether Bielsa might not be interested as Leeds have lost Samuel Sáiz to Getafe? I think he would suit their style of play and he has the kind of technical ability that Bielsa would appreciate. Whether he be guaranteed games however, is an entirely different matter. He doesn't seem to prosper in high pressure environments either, which might not augur well for him were he at a club like Leeds. 

Edited by 86 points

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Don't think he needs to. He'll want to move to Yorkshire and he wouldn't suit Leeds' style of play.

LOL - I've just posted the complete opposite line of thought. Why do think he wouldn't suit Leeds bud? Genuine question. I assume then that you think the club looking at him is Sheffield Utd?

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

LOL - I've just posted the complete opposite line of thought. Why do think he wouldn't suit Leeds bud? Genuine question. I assume then that you think the club looking at him is Sheffield Utd?

To be fair, after posting I did consider Saiz leaving, injuries and Baker being recalled, but couldn't be bothered editing my post. He could feasibly be a direct replacement (or possible improvement) for Baker.

23 minutes ago, 86 points said:

I wonder whether Bielsa might not be interested as Leeds have lost Samuel Sáiz to Getafe? I think he would suit their style of play and he has the kind of technical ability that Bielsa would appreciate. Whether he be guaranteed games however, is an entirely different matter. He doesn't seem to prosper in high pressure environments either, which might not augur well for him were he at a club like Leeds. 

No chance in my opinion. Bielsa demands energy, workrate and positive intent from everyone on the pitch. That doesn't strike me as the kind of setup Butterfield would thrive in. He looked like he was running in treacle most of the time.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

No chance in my opinion. Bielsa demands energy, workrate and positive intent from everyone on the pitch. That doesn't strike me as the kind of setup Butterfield would thrive in. He looked like he was running in treacle most of the time.

Fair comment I guess but the Saiz role was not a high energy, pressing role. Sit high and central MF and pull the strings with passing ability was how it struck me. You're probably spot on though as I never get these things right and most of the shrewdies seem to favour the Blades as the likely destination.