Tom Lawrence

Ovine_Interferer

On 30/11/2018 at 18:54, Anag Ram said:

I think the issue is that both he and Wilson are 'luxury' players who will bring occasional moments of magic but who for the remainder of the game are ineffectual and lightweight.

We can perhaps only afford to play  one of them.

Yes in the championship, definitely. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/11/2018 at 17:54, Anag Ram said:

I think the issue is that both he and Wilson are 'luxury' players who will bring occasional moments of magic but who for the remainder of the game are ineffectual and lightweight.

We can perhaps only afford to play  one of them.

If that is the case Lawrence may as well stay at home?

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 06:19, Anag Ram said:

Thought he was disappointing first half, rather isolated on the left wing without rolling his sleeves up and helping his teammates.

Second half he made some good runs and some of his flicks and short passes were sublime. He can create chances that others can't.

As I've said before we have young players who are constantly trying things. Great when it works, dangerous when it doesn't because the loss of possession is often when we have committed players forward.

It makes for exciting football but can also create frustration. 

Lawrence seems to cop most of that frustration.

All of this would be alleviated if we had a better defence and I honestly think we will be top four if we strengthen in that department in January.

We are already joint top 4 on points just 7th on GD , I think if we get a better right back we will challenge for 2nd.

I sometimes think with the better players at this level it is a stats game. Tom is good, brilliant occasionally. Both at Stoke and against Swansea he was dangerous and if he'd got the percentages he may have scored 2 goals. He was doing the right thing and kept trying. Yes he does hang on to the ball too long on occasions but those are millisecond judgments and this will improve  

Sooner rather than later this team, with Lawrence in it, is going to turn someone over big time. He isn't my favourite but he has something well worth having. 

From an outside perspective, I've only been watching Derby from preseason this year and I feel like TL's improved upon his decision making quite a bit and seems to have come back from the red card a more matured player. Could definitely see the talent he had right from the start but I'm a sucker for young players who make good decisions so I'm pretty happy he seems to be on the right track.

I like Lawrence but as has already been said he tends to hold onto the ball longer than he should in certain situations.

Maybe it is a pressure/ego thing.

He cost a substantial amount of money at this level and the expectation is bound to be there. Also two young up-starts have turned up on loan and are out performing him in spades.

Maybe he feels he needs to score more to up his status a little. Instead he should be focusing on being more of a team player.

10 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I like Lawrence but as has already been said he tends to hold onto the ball longer than he should in certain situations.

Maybe it is a pressure/ego thing.

He cost a substantial amount of money at this level and the expectation is bound to be there. Also two young up-starts have turned up on loan and are out performing him in spades.

Maybe he feels he needs to score more to up his status a little. Instead he should be focusing on being more of a team player.

I was saying the exact thing yesterday to someone. He’s coping better every game though I think.

I also think from his body language on the pitch and in training that he is enjoying his football and has a good relationship with Mount and Wilson. Them being here has taken a bit of pressure off his shoulders.

I expect he is probably learning from them too about work rate and decision-making and this is contributing to his improvement. It's a win-win for us, because Lawrence is ours. 

57 minutes ago, angieram said:

I also think from his body language on the pitch and in training that he is enjoying his football and has a good relationship with Mount and Wilson. Them being here has taken a bit of pressure off his shoulders.

I expect he is probably learning from them too about work rate and decision-making and this is contributing to his improvement. It's a win-win for us, because Lawrence is ours. 

So our expensive mature signing is taking lessons from U23 loanees. Says a lot about him doesn't it. Thanks for confirming what I already believed.

14 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

So our expensive mature signing is taking lessons from U23 loanees. Says a lot about him doesn't it. Thanks for confirming what I already believed.

Yeah, it does, it says that you can learn from anyone, and he isn't that arrogant not to acknowledge that.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

Well he is only 24 and this is only his 3rd full season at a single team, 4th full season of his career (he had 1 season on loan at 2 different clubs), so hardly "mature" and not exactly expensive, £4-5m he cost, that's around half of what our most expensive signing is, half of what we received for the player he is deemed to have replaced.

He is still learning and is happy to learn from anyone that can help him, says a lot about his character and also says a lot about yours for judging him in a negative way about that.

3 hours ago, rynny said:

Well he is only 24 and this is only his 3rd full season at a single team, 4th full season of his career (he had 1 season on loan at 2 different clubs), so hardly "mature" and not exactly expensive, £4-5m he cost, that's around half of what our most expensive signing is, half of what we received for the player he is deemed to have replaced.

He is still learning and is happy to learn from anyone that can help him, says a lot about his character and also says a lot about yours for judging him in a negative way about that.

Lets be clear here.. I want him to do well, as I do every Derby player and would never boo him on the pitch, but evidence is clear that he is not the wunderkind that some of you seem to think and I think that winds me up almost as much as some of his decisions! Peace to all

25 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Lets be clear here.. I want him to do well, as I do every Derby player and would never boo him on the pitch, but evidence is clear that he is not the wunderkind that some of you seem to think and I think that winds me up almost as much as some of his decisions! Peace to all

So why is it that you felt the need to be negative about him learning? If you truly want him to do well then you should be happy that he is learning from players that have had experiences, regardless of age. And I'm not sure why the need to add that they are loanees, as if it is a negative of some sort. 

11 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Who? Proper straw man argument, this is, much like your initial post. Literally nobody has said he's a world beater, only that he's a talented lad whose end product has improved of late. I think there is also almost universal agreement that it needed to. All pretty reasonable assessments IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel for Tom at the minute. Absolutely nothing he does is coming off for him. Should have been given 2 penalties in the last 2 games. Feel as though he is trying to hard to make something happen, and that is when he starts to make silly choices. 

1 hour ago, rynny said:

I feel for Tom at the minute. Absolutely nothing he does is coming off for him. Should have been given 2 penalties in the last 2 games. Feel as though he is trying to hard to make something happen, and that is when he starts to make silly choices. 

It will come I thought he was the one player who caused them problems last night.

Archived