You’re stranded on a desert island...

David

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's massively unlikely that the island @David describes could exist.

The variation in temperature could only be seen in a proper inland desert, where the sand is the key barometer of temperature.

Such variations simply wouldn't happen on a island surrounded by water, due to water being far harder to heat than sand.

It's also unlikely such a large island, behind Cyprus in size, although larger than the tourist friendly Southern Cyprus and Tobago, with a coastline made up almost exclusively of beaches, and with abundant reserves of fish, wouldn't have been settled.

For that reason I'm out!

13 hours ago, Parsnip said:

I offered this up to my 7 year old who chose the dog and the rifle. I said he's still got $5 left but he says he's saving that for if there's a shop. I said I don't think there'll be a shop. He said yeah but what if there is?

I thought it was "d" not "$"? 

I just assumed that we were still on old coinage, as the ancient OP hasn't got his head around decimalisation yet?

... Is this island one of our old colonies?  That might clear things up, on the local currency issue?

If I can replace the Mac with a PC I will take that. With full internet access you would have access to dcfcfans, newspapers, books, youtube/tv/etc, music, communications to friends and family and you could use the repository of all human knowledge to teach yourself how to make a fishing rod, gun, alcohol and how to domesticate the local animals.

If I have to keep the Mac I suppose it could still be useful - probably use the screen to focus light to start a fire or something.

On 29/11/2018 at 23:59, David said:

By yourself for 5 years. The island is full of wildlife, edible fruits and materials to build a shelter/shack. 

On arrival you are handed a shopping list which you can purchase items for the duration of your stay, now clearly this is a fantasy situation so if you choose a TV electricity would be provided, a fridge for your alcohol etc.

You have a maximum of 10d to spend:

8d - Mac with full internet access

6d - Unlimited supply of alcohol

5d - TV with access to BBC 1 & 2, ITV, C4 C5 only

5d - Unlimited music

5d - One take away delivery per month (Pizza, Indian, Chinese)

5d - Unlimited supply of chocolate

4d - A dog or cat with unlimited non human consumption food 

4d - Full library of books

4d - King size bed & bedding

3d - 1 Hour weekly call to a friend/family

2d - Netflix subscription, don’t forget you need a TV or Mac with Internet access

2d - Alcohol free lager/cider

2d - Daily newspaper

2d - Access to dcfcfans.uk

1d - Rifle and unlimited ammo

1d - Fishing rod, tackle and bait

Easy for me.Very easy.

Pet. Library. And either Netflix or a (serious) newspaper.

Archived