Davide

Carson appreciation thread (Crazy Carson hating)

Still one of the best keepers in the league IMO but he needs to improve his current form, Carson's key strength is his shot stopping ability and I'd have expected an in form Carson to have saved 1 if not both of those goals. Bringing in another keeper given his age sounds like good planning to me anyway, Carson isn't going to be around forever.

I am glad to read that a good number are prepared to get behind Scott. I would think around 10 of you standing together on the goal line will make a big difference over the coming weeks.

He’s bailed us out countless times. .. yes could have done better with the first, was unsighted for the second. Frankly given the number of seriously classy saves he has made in the last season or two he is well in credit. Distribution ? ... come on .. yes maybe he should get the ball out a bit quicker or more accurately but there’s nothing wrong with our keeper and apart from Butland who did very well yesterday I wouldn’t want any other championship keeper between the sticks for us. He’s premier league quality easy. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

He’s bailed us out countless times. .. yes could have done better with the first, was unsighted for the second. Frankly given the number of seriously classy saves he has made in the last season or two he is well in credit. Distribution ? ... come on .. yes maybe he should get the ball out a bit quicker or more accurately but there’s nothing wrong with our keeper and apart from Butland who did very well yesterday I wouldn’t want any other championship keeper between the sticks for us. He’s premier league quality easy. 

Jono - the last three goals clearly suggest he isn't Premier League quality.

The lack of coming out at Boro to simply catch the ball cost us. 

The Villa first goal he could have 'put more effort in'.

Cesc Fabregas goal could have been saved.

Not to mention the goals we have conceded from corners.

How many more excuses are we going to make for him?

Don't really get the 'he needs competition' thing. Are we saying he’s not performing to his optimum because he knows he’s got no competition? And when folk talk about a strong keeper building confidence in the defence around him, what about a keeper having confidence in his defence? It’s fair to say that Scott’s not operating at his best, but that’s a pretty lofty benchmark and my thinking is that there are wider defensive issues that need addressing before we look to bring in another stopper. Out of curiosity, who are folk suggesting who will be available for January who are good enough to challenge or displace Carson? For all the posts lamenting his performance, we’re pretty light on viable replacements.

The way I see it, if you feel that replacing Carson is the way to go, then we either take a punt on a young stopper who we feel could be better in time than Scott, bearing in mind the equally possible outcome, that he may end up no better than Roos, or we spend @£10 million+ on someone proven to be of a higher level than Carson. Keepers who are Scott’s equal in shot-stopping terms, with rapid and accurate distribution and who dominate their areas are not easy to come by, and last time I checked, the January window wasn’t exactly bargain central.

I think we have more pressing concerns right now, most notably at fullback and CM along with coaching out our defensive demons. Carson, like most others, only needs looking at if we secure promotion. 

19 hours ago, rammieib said:

You'd like to think either Heaton or Pope are free once all Burnley GK's are fit. Take either in a heart beat.

Sure you would, but we’ve probably got more chance of drawing Vatican City in the FA Cup on Monday than signing Pope

Sorry but this Carson bashing needs to stop IMHO

So he's had a couple of "off" games by his usual standards.  That doesn't make him a crappy 'keeper by any standards.

I am a bit biased though, as I was once a fully signed up member of the GKU (semi-Pro many years ago) so I feel his pain!

Sill one of the best in the championship,however you have to agree with some comments on the tread,never comes for a cross and stops on his line to often for me which puts more pressure on the back four and although we all know his distribution is not great so are all the back four to be honest,except maybe keogh who does try to start us moving forward

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

And we had a mountain to climb to sign Mason...

With the Lampard Chelsea link and him being Mount’s hero as a kid, not sure it was that difficult to lure him here.

Pope on the other hand...