Davide

Carson appreciation thread (Crazy Carson hating)

7 minutes ago, Topram said:

Having his house robbed and car stolen yesterday morning his mind wasn’t probably in the game at all

That being the case, I hope Frank gave him the option to sit it out. It's the kind of thing I'd think Frank would do.

But even that doesn't detract from his recent form being relatively poor compared to his previous standards. Hopefully Shay is on it and isn't completely focussed on his work with the defence.......😀

Well I’d be tempted to say his head didn’t really seem in the game last night, possibly because of the stolen car situation he tweeted about. Not that I’m making excuses, but he didn’t seem on it to me.

No getting away from that we don’t have the Carson from last year but a lot has changed. Last year yo had two DMs in front of two CBS so we were defensively sound. Most of Carson’s work was shot stopping. This season a little more is being asked of him and he’s a little more exposed and I think it shows. Still a very good keeper, but he’s just not quite at the level he was. Personally there’s other areas I’d address at this moment.

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

I'll get behind him of course I will , he's not a bad goalkeeper at all . He just needs some strong competition for that number 1 spot . 

Not directly behind him please otherwise the goals will keep going in!

Seriously though, at Championship level he's a more than decent keeper who just happens to be going through a period of poor form and I do wonder how much he misses his previous goalkeeping coach Pascal wotsesname. His main asset is shot-stopping but given he's 6'3" I've always felt he doesn't really have command of the 6 yard box that he should have. Carson's one of the old-school goalies and full control of the outball which todays' game seems to require doesn't sit too well with him.

I've every confidence he will come good again given time - patience certainly isn't a virtue with some Rams fans.

46 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Don’t necessarily think Carson was to blame for the goals last night it’s just that last season and earlier this season he would have saved them which is probably why we expect him to?!

Think he has just lost a bit of form, happens to most players?

My thoughts exactly.

His form has clearly dipped.  He's looked suspect for quite a few of the goals just lately, and I include the first two v Villa, where you may not expect him to save the actual goal attempts per sé, but he should certainly have attempted to attack and snuff out the crosses that ultimately led to them.  He actually stepped back, as the crosses came in!

He did seem a little lethargic last night... very slouchy in the shoulders... hunched almost... he certainly wasn't exuding confidence in his body language!

The question is, is this current spell his average, and therefore he has been excelling for the past few years, or is he now playing below par?  I admit I don't know the answer, but for now, I'm banking on the latter, and he at least has my confidence and support that his previous majestic form will return... hopefully soon!

Now... about the rest of 'em...

I think he has David De Gea syndrome? Looks great in a team who are more defensive(Rowett last season) like De Gea at Man U as it means he doesn’t have to pass the ball as much from the back or come off his line. However, he struggles in a more offensive team like De Gea with Spain that requires him to pass the ball out from the back and be a sweeper keeper. 

I’d prefer my keeper to be  more agile and better with his feet at an elite club like Pickford, ederson, Ter Stegen. The days of having a big dominating keeper are almost over with more teams wanting to be possession based. At this championship level a keeper like a Dean Henderson would be perfect. Sheff U did very well getting him. Granty before his injury for Mac was also good for this way of playing. There’s bound to be keepers around who could fit this bill who would be cheap. We got CArson for a bargain from Wigan.

I do rate Carson and i hope this is just a patch of bad form. 

One concern i do have though is his recent unwillingness to take control from crosses. A large number of the goals we're conceding feel like they're coming from balls into the box. There was a couple last night where he looked a bit sheepish and hesitant to come off his line.  

2 hours ago, Davide said:

I’m confused how he is overrated - I respect your opinion but he has made countless game saving saves for us, including some this season. I’ve always thought he is a good candidate for the England team based on his performances in the last couple of years. 

2 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

He does make some good saves granted , but none that he doesn't have any right to make . A good keeper at this level should've saving the shots Scott does.

Edit ; Grant was the better keeper when they were competing for that number 1 spot

Riddings pretty much answered this for me. I have found at his best for us he was solid and made good saves but there's not many I think how has he saved that?  I actually think with a back 6 in front of him his fragilities were hidden- now under Franks style they have came to light.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

That being the case, I hope Frank gave him the option to sit it out. It's the kind of thing I'd think Frank would do.

But even that doesn't detract from his recent form being relatively poor compared to his previous standards. Hopefully Shay is on it and isn't completely focussed on his work with the defence.......😀

Really ? I’d hope Frank would have said , there’s a lot of supporters out there a lot worse of than you Scott, get out there and give it your best .

Edited by Key clubber

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Riddings pretty much answered this for me. I have found at his best for us he was solid and made good saves but there's not many I think how has he saved that?  I actually think with a back 6 in front of him his fragilities were hidden- now under Franks style they have came to light.

Great minds and all that Simsy

Carson is avoiding a lot of criticism he should be receiving because of his reputation. This season he's not been good at all, and we can definitely upgrade. We need to go with the modern trend of keepers who are good with the ball at their feet. A keeper with good distribution helps start the attacks much quicker, whereas Carson kills our momentum. He's a good pro, and was great for us the last 2 years, but I think it's time for us to sign a new goalkeeper.

Got to say he is probably past his best. The way Butland reacted to shots on goal and his general command of the area told me if the goalkeepers were reversed, so would the result have been. 

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

The disappointing thing is that Carson has known and allowed weaknesses around crosses and commending his area. But recently he's been off at things he was doing well previously. Neither goal was a belter. 

I was reminded of his 1st season with us where he conceded a few pea rollers. Like hull playoff 1st leg. He put that right so hopefully he can get back to previous form 👍

Spot on he has always struggled with crosses but was a top shot stopper,I think he can back to his best but a decent goalkeeper breathing down his neck in Januaty is a must.

It's all well and good wanting to upgrade on Carson but what does that even mean? How much will it cost?

You struggle to get midfielders comfortable on the ball at this level never mind goalkeepers. Just have a look at the other 'elite' keepers in this league. None of them are good footballers. Butland's distribution is questionable and he's a Full England international. Randolph's (11 clean sheets - most in the league) - we saw last year what a bit of pressure does to him. Pantillimon (8 clean sheets) - no thanks! 

There's probably 3 keepers in the league above that are truly comfortable on the ball and their distribution is bob on and they have cost 30, 40 and 60 million pounds. 

Of course if his form continues then a replacement purely from a shot stopping POV makes sense but I'd suggest unless we're in the division above with a bit of cash behind us the distribution but isn't going to get much better. 

Healthy competition and an improved defence is the way forward IMO.