Carson appreciation thread (Crazy Carson hating)

TheresOnlyWanChope

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do rate Carson and i hope this is just a patch of bad form. 

One concern i do have though is his recent unwillingness to take control from crosses. A large number of the goals we're conceding feel like they're coming from balls into the box. There was a couple last night where he looked a bit sheepish and hesitant to come off his line.  

2 hours ago, Davide said:

I’m confused how he is overrated - I respect your opinion but he has made countless game saving saves for us, including some this season. I’ve always thought he is a good candidate for the England team based on his performances in the last couple of years. 

2 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

He does make some good saves granted , but none that he doesn't have any right to make . A good keeper at this level should've saving the shots Scott does.

Edit ; Grant was the better keeper when they were competing for that number 1 spot

Riddings pretty much answered this for me. I have found at his best for us he was solid and made good saves but there's not many I think how has he saved that?  I actually think with a back 6 in front of him his fragilities were hidden- now under Franks style they have came to light.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

That being the case, I hope Frank gave him the option to sit it out. It's the kind of thing I'd think Frank would do.

But even that doesn't detract from his recent form being relatively poor compared to his previous standards. Hopefully Shay is on it and isn't completely focussed on his work with the defence.......?

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Riddings pretty much answered this for me. I have found at his best for us he was solid and made good saves but there's not many I think how has he saved that?  I actually think with a back 6 in front of him his fragilities were hidden- now under Franks style they have came to light.

Great minds and all that Simsy

Carson is avoiding a lot of criticism he should be receiving because of his reputation. This season he's not been good at all, and we can definitely upgrade. We need to go with the modern trend of keepers who are good with the ball at their feet. A keeper with good distribution helps start the attacks much quicker, whereas Carson kills our momentum. He's a good pro, and was great for us the last 2 years, but I think it's time for us to sign a new goalkeeper.

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

The disappointing thing is that Carson has known and allowed weaknesses around crosses and commending his area. But recently he's been off at things he was doing well previously. Neither goal was a belter. 

I was reminded of his 1st season with us where he conceded a few pea rollers. Like hull playoff 1st leg. He put that right so hopefully he can get back to previous form ?

Spot on he has always struggled with crosses but was a top shot stopper,I think he can back to his best but a decent goalkeeper breathing down his neck in Januaty is a must.

It's all well and good wanting to upgrade on Carson but what does that even mean? How much will it cost?

You struggle to get midfielders comfortable on the ball at this level never mind goalkeepers. Just have a look at the other 'elite' keepers in this league. None of them are good footballers. Butland's distribution is questionable and he's a Full England international. Randolph's (11 clean sheets - most in the league) - we saw last year what a bit of pressure does to him. Pantillimon (8 clean sheets) - no thanks! 

There's probably 3 keepers in the league above that are truly comfortable on the ball and their distribution is bob on and they have cost 30, 40 and 60 million pounds. 

Of course if his form continues then a replacement purely from a shot stopping POV makes sense but I'd suggest unless we're in the division above with a bit of cash behind us the distribution but isn't going to get much better. 

Healthy competition and an improved defence is the way forward IMO. 

Still one of the best keepers in the league IMO but he needs to improve his current form, Carson's key strength is his shot stopping ability and I'd have expected an in form Carson to have saved 1 if not both of those goals. Bringing in another keeper given his age sounds like good planning to me anyway, Carson isn't going to be around forever.

He’s bailed us out countless times. .. yes could have done better with the first, was unsighted for the second. Frankly given the number of seriously classy saves he has made in the last season or two he is well in credit. Distribution ? ... come on .. yes maybe he should get the ball out a bit quicker or more accurately but there’s nothing wrong with our keeper and apart from Butland who did very well yesterday I wouldn’t want any other championship keeper between the sticks for us. He’s premier league quality easy. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

He’s bailed us out countless times. .. yes could have done better with the first, was unsighted for the second. Frankly given the number of seriously classy saves he has made in the last season or two he is well in credit. Distribution ? ... come on .. yes maybe he should get the ball out a bit quicker or more accurately but there’s nothing wrong with our keeper and apart from Butland who did very well yesterday I wouldn’t want any other championship keeper between the sticks for us. He’s premier league quality easy. 

Jono - the last three goals clearly suggest he isn't Premier League quality.

The lack of coming out at Boro to simply catch the ball cost us. 

The Villa first goal he could have 'put more effort in'.

Cesc Fabregas goal could have been saved.

Not to mention the goals we have conceded from corners.

How many more excuses are we going to make for him?

Don't really get the 'he needs competition' thing. Are we saying he’s not performing to his optimum because he knows he’s got no competition? And when folk talk about a strong keeper building confidence in the defence around him, what about a keeper having confidence in his defence? It’s fair to say that Scott’s not operating at his best, but that’s a pretty lofty benchmark and my thinking is that there are wider defensive issues that need addressing before we look to bring in another stopper. Out of curiosity, who are folk suggesting who will be available for January who are good enough to challenge or displace Carson? For all the posts lamenting his performance, we’re pretty light on viable replacements.

The way I see it, if you feel that replacing Carson is the way to go, then we either take a punt on a young stopper who we feel could be better in time than Scott, bearing in mind the equally possible outcome, that he may end up no better than Roos, or we spend @£10 million+ on someone proven to be of a higher level than Carson. Keepers who are Scott’s equal in shot-stopping terms, with rapid and accurate distribution and who dominate their areas are not easy to come by, and last time I checked, the January window wasn’t exactly bargain central.

I think we have more pressing concerns right now, most notably at fullback and CM along with coaching out our defensive demons. Carson, like most others, only needs looking at if we secure promotion. 

Archived