Carson appreciation thread (Crazy Carson hating)

TheresOnlyWanChope

Seen a lot of negativity around Carson recently- distribution and performance yesterday. My view - distribution is ok, he tends to look for a man in wide areas which can set us off in attack. Sometimes it goes out for a throw or goes wrong and plays the opposition in. Recently he plays it safe and passes short more than often to Keogh or someone. 

But yesterday maybe the first one was saveable ( you would expect Ince to score the second) but everyone has off days and Carson has been unbelievable for us the last few seasons. He’s saved us on so many occasions. A great shot stopper, maybe he needs competition but still an incredible keeper and one of best I’ve seen at Derby. If anyone doesn’t believe me, search for Carson best saves on YouTube. He’s won us so many points. 

Lets get behind him and the team. Maybe we need a Carson chant. He’s an excellent keeper. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always felt he was one of the players we have immune from criticism. But his form this season has meant even the Carson lovers can't defend him.

I have always been quite harsh on carson probably because i identified him as one of the most overrated players something i mentioned before on an unpopular opinions thread.

Absolutely no issue with Scotts effort but for me i would like to see an improvement on him- one that suits Lampards style.

The disappointing thing is that Carson has known and allowed weaknesses around crosses and commending his area. But recently he's been off at things he was doing well previously. Neither goal was a belter. 

I was reminded of his 1st season with us where he conceded a few pea rollers. Like hull playoff 1st leg. He put that right so hopefully he can get back to previous form ?

Get at him and he will make even more mistakes. Under Frank he is expected to make better use of his distribution, something that he isn't always very good at. I can live with that, although I would be happy with the simple pass he is capable of. He's a good keeper and people have short memories!

11 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Always felt he was one of the players we have immune from criticism. But his form this season has meant even the Carson lovers can't defend him.

I have always been quite harsh on carson probably because i identified him as one of the most overrated players something i mentioned before on an unpopular opinions thread.

Absolutely no issue with Scotts effort but for me i would like to see an improvement on him- one that suits Lampards style.

I’m confused how he is overrated - I respect your opinion but he has made countless game saving saves for us, including some this season. I’ve always thought he is a good candidate for the England team based on his performances in the last couple of years. 

I don’t think you could call it hateing, that’s a bit over the top, he has made a number of poor attempts to save goals over the past few matches so will obviously attract criticism! He has been a good servant and there were calls for him to join up with the England World Cup squad last season from a number of Derby fans.

he is having an off period with the rest of the defence !

dont worry though as we are heading into our annual collapse period, there will be plenty to shoulder the blame !

3 minutes ago, Davide said:

I’m confused how he is overrated - I respect your opinion but he has made countless game saving saves for us, including some this season. I’ve always thought he is a good candidate for the England team based on his performances in the last couple of years. 

He does make some good saves granted , but none that he doesn't have any right to make . A good keeper at this level should've saving the shots Scott does.

Edit ; Grant was the better keeper when they were competing for that number 1 spot

Ridiculous criticism of Carson. This is the one area we don't need to be shopping. 

I think it's only been highlighted because Butland was in the other net. He is an international goalkeeper and certainly one of the best in England. The instinctive save from Tomori wouldn't have been saved by all keepers. The Lawrence shot first half as well. 

He isn't the issue. The defence is. Without a settled back four you will struggle no matter what level you play at. 

I love Scott, he's been great for us and arguably could say he's been our player of the year for the past 3 seasons, but he's been real poor of late. Every shot seems to bumble through him. Sheff Wed goal the other day, it was like he didn't even try to keep it out. 

Hopefully it's just a bad patch. Only having Roos as back up can't be great for Carson. He knows he's going to be number 1 whatever happens. Experienced keeper in Jan is a must to keep the competition up.

Don’t necessarily think Carson was to blame for the goals last night it’s just that last season and earlier this season he would have saved them which is probably why we expect him to?!

Think he has just lost a bit of form, happens to most players?

Joe Hart- Media darling, face of England football, one of the leading candidates for England captaincy. Guardiola gets rid of him and eventually signs Ederson, a person not many in English football would have heard of but suits his philosophy more so than Hart. 

There are attainable keepers out there who would probably suit this team a lot more than CArson. However, I wouldn’t say he’s a big problem. 

Pre injury Lee Grant would have suited this team a lot more.

Poor timing on this. Been pretty poor all season. 

He's always been a good shot stopper, but he's looking slow to get down to things and is weak-wristed at the moment. When he isn't doing that, he's never been good at commanding his box from crosses and corners, which is probably why I clench my cheeks from every cross over the past few years.

As a team aiming to play out from the back too, he isn't the best fit for the team. Just as Davies isn't, whilst that doesn't make him a bad player either.

Needs some serious competition for his place, he's looking like one of a few weak links.

7 minutes ago, Topram said:

Having his house robbed and car stolen yesterday morning his mind wasn’t probably in the game at all

That being the case, I hope Frank gave him the option to sit it out. It's the kind of thing I'd think Frank would do.

But even that doesn't detract from his recent form being relatively poor compared to his previous standards. Hopefully Shay is on it and isn't completely focussed on his work with the defence.......?

Well I’d be tempted to say his head didn’t really seem in the game last night, possibly because of the stolen car situation he tweeted about. Not that I’m making excuses, but he didn’t seem on it to me.

No getting away from that we don’t have the Carson from last year but a lot has changed. Last year yo had two DMs in front of two CBS so we were defensively sound. Most of Carson’s work was shot stopping. This season a little more is being asked of him and he’s a little more exposed and I think it shows. Still a very good keeper, but he’s just not quite at the level he was. Personally there’s other areas I’d address at this moment.

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

I'll get behind him of course I will , he's not a bad goalkeeper at all . He just needs some strong competition for that number 1 spot . 

Not directly behind him please otherwise the goals will keep going in!

Seriously though, at Championship level he's a more than decent keeper who just happens to be going through a period of poor form and I do wonder how much he misses his previous goalkeeping coach Pascal wotsesname. His main asset is shot-stopping but given he's 6'3" I've always felt he doesn't really have command of the 6 yard box that he should have. Carson's one of the old-school goalies and full control of the outball which todays' game seems to require doesn't sit too well with him.

I've every confidence he will come good again given time - patience certainly isn't a virtue with some Rams fans.

46 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Don’t necessarily think Carson was to blame for the goals last night it’s just that last season and earlier this season he would have saved them which is probably why we expect him to?!

Think he has just lost a bit of form, happens to most players?

My thoughts exactly.

His form has clearly dipped.  He's looked suspect for quite a few of the goals just lately, and I include the first two v Villa, where you may not expect him to save the actual goal attempts per sé, but he should certainly have attempted to attack and snuff out the crosses that ultimately led to them.  He actually stepped back, as the crosses came in!

He did seem a little lethargic last night... very slouchy in the shoulders... hunched almost... he certainly wasn't exuding confidence in his body language!

The question is, is this current spell his average, and therefore he has been excelling for the past few years, or is he now playing below par?  I admit I don't know the answer, but for now, I'm banking on the latter, and he at least has my confidence and support that his previous majestic form will return... hopefully soon!

Now... about the rest of 'em...

I think he has David De Gea syndrome? Looks great in a team who are more defensive(Rowett last season) like De Gea at Man U as it means he doesn’t have to pass the ball as much from the back or come off his line. However, he struggles in a more offensive team like De Gea with Spain that requires him to pass the ball out from the back and be a sweeper keeper. 

I’d prefer my keeper to be  more agile and better with his feet at an elite club like Pickford, ederson, Ter Stegen. The days of having a big dominating keeper are almost over with more teams wanting to be possession based. At this championship level a keeper like a Dean Henderson would be perfect. Sheff U did very well getting him. Granty before his injury for Mac was also good for this way of playing. There’s bound to be keepers around who could fit this bill who would be cheap. We got CArson for a bargain from Wigan.

Archived