Carson appreciation thread (Crazy Carson hating)

TheresOnlyWanChope

14 minutes ago, Davide said:

Disagree and he was good today. Great keeper. We can’t upgrade. 

Of course we can upgrade, there are dozens of keepers better than Carson. We would have to spend 7 plus million to get any of them though. We shouldn’t upgrade is more to the point. Plenty of weaker areas to address if we are going to spend in January 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Davide said:

Disagree and he was good today. Great keeper. We can’t upgrade. 

Flat out wrong. You can't upgrade on Jan Oblak. You certainly can upgrade on Scott Carson, he's a slightly above average shot stopper, with worse than average distribution. He also never dominates his box and that's part of the reason we concede so many crosses. 

1 hour ago, Derby blood said:

Can not agree with this at all, both goals in my eyes and I was there,  was not his fault, but we all have our own opinions, that's what makes football such a great talking point, for myself Carson is still our number one by a country mile.

Fair enough, we won't reach an agreement on this because I thought it was absolutely shocking goalkeeping for both goals. I think we need at minimum someone to compete with Carson, but preferably an improvement signed.

Can't understand the criticism of Scott. While he is constantly being exposed by a very inconsistent and at times a very poor defence. Any performance even slightly below the standard he as set over the past seasons, is going to make it appear  he is putting in poorer performances than he actually as.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Fair enough, we won't reach an agreement on this because I thought it was absolutely shocking goalkeeping for both goals. I think we need at minimum someone to compete with Carson, but preferably an improvement signed.

Just seen the highlights from today. Carson definitely helped us win. Great saves.

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Just seen the highlights from today. Carson definitely helped us win. Great saves.

Thought he did well today but certainly didn’t make any unexpected saves.

the fact he can’t control his 6 yard box never mind the area probably cost us a goal again though.

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Flat out wrong. You can't upgrade on Jan Oblak. You certainly can upgrade on Scott Carson, he's a slightly above average shot stopper, with worse than average distribution. He also never dominates his box and that's part of the reason we concede so many crosses. 

Slightly above average shot stopper? He's won us matches for two seasons in a row and this season also!! Best keeper we've had since Poom and I think most would agree with me.

4 hours ago, Davide said:

Slightly above average shot stopper? He's won us matches for two seasons in a row and this season also!! Best keeper we've had since Poom and I think most would agree with me.

Well then most are wrong. We achieved nothing we Scott, and he isn't anything special. Grant's first season with us was a much better feat for a goal keeper. 

11 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Can't understand the criticism of Scott. While he is constantly being exposed by a very inconsistent and at times a very poor defence. Any performance even slightly below the standard he as set over the past seasons, is going to make it appear  he is putting in poorer performances than he actually as.

There's a balance to be struck.

In a defence so weak in the air, he   could help by dominating his area and using his vast experience.

The goal was another poor piece of defending. What do they do in training when time and time again our defenders are facing their own goal from set pieces?

However, the ball has reached the floor on the six yard line with Carson rooted to the goal line.

He makes good saves and that has won us points  but a keeper has the best view of the entire defence and should radiate confidence. Unfortunately both he and Captain Keogh are panicky and dare I say it, a bit leggy.

Dean Henderson’s name has been mentioned a few times, a keeper that’s great with his feet. I invite you to watch Leeds goal v Sheff Utd yesterday and count the points he lost his team.

Keepers can do that, cost your team points. They are the last line of defence and cannot afford to make mistakes, defenders make them all the time and can get away with them. Don’t forget a keeper is only as good as his defence.

Carson in previous seasons has had in front of him a vastly experienced defence, last season with Forsyth, Davies, Keogh and Wisdom. It’s possible Carson felt more comfortable and confident with what was in front of him and allowed him to excel.

This season he has a young right back playing his first season at this level, a young centre back that’s made his 50th Championship appearance yesterday that struggles with aerial balls, and a left back that you could be mistaken for a left winger at times.

We’re 20 games in to the season, half of which were played with 3 of 4 being new defenders in front of him, and a new coaching team that is asking us to play a different style of football by playing it out the back.

Before we start questioning his ability as a keeper, which does has his flaws as do many players in the Championship, maybe allow him some time to adjust and develop an understanding with his new back line, and for them to be a little more aware of their positioning and help the guy out. 

I get this is the internet and we need someone to blame, even when things are going well, but if you take a look at the league you will see that only 6 teams have conceded less goals than Derby so far. Concern, yes. Time to call for our backup keeper that at 26 has barely played first team football, just stop.

The goal we conceded yesterday should not have given us squeaky bumtime, we hear it all the time but Swansea really were there for the taking, despite Harry and his wonder goals 6 teams have also scored more than us. 

We need to defend a little better but at the same time stick the ball in the net a little more at the other end, our forward line have been just as guilty for costing us points.

Finally let’s not forget last season where many were calling for a younger team, claiming to have the patience, any chance of showing a little? We’re in a good place right now, could be better, could be a hell of a lot worse all things considered. 

Just watched the goals run through on Sky. There were quite a few that were down to plain and simple goalkeeping error, and at top end clubs as well. So before we start wanting a change ask yourself who would actually be better than Scott behind our defence.

Thought the Birmingham 40 yard backpass through the keepers legs was a classic.

14 hours ago, Andicis said:

Absolutely , you can always improve. Carson suits a more defensive structure like last season under Rowett as it means he doesn’t have to come off his line and focus so much on distribution. Last season he could hoof it wherever he wanted whenever he had the ball and it wouldn’t really matter because Rowett didn’t really care about possession football. I think people would rather stick to what they know which is why so many are sticking up for CArson.

Sometimes you have to take risks in football by improving upon someone who is nearly undropable. Even if we don’t improve on him, at least get someone who fits the philosophy more and have two good keepers in the squad. Arsenal did with Leno and Cech. Emery wants Arsenal to play out from the back and gave Cech an opportunity to adjust but it didn’t work so he brought Leno into the team, someone who is more comfortable on the ball and now they’re something like 17 games unbeaten?

17 hours ago, Andicis said:

Ince was totally unmarked about 8 yards out and then slightly mishit his shot, skewing the trajectory. Carson therefore is trying to make a save based purely on reaction, the fact he got as close as he did deserves plaudits. If he'd saved it, it would have been an excellent stop. The fact you'd ''expect'' him to save them seems only to demonstrate your entitlement... We shouldn't expect anything of a keeper when his defence fails to mark a man we know is a proficient finisher. This is a team game yet his teammate's failed to help him out, especially for the 2nd goal, so to then lay blame solely at his door is fairly moronic. 

42 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

Ince was totally unmarked about 8 yards out and then slightly mishit his shot, skewing the trajectory. Carson therefore is trying to make a save based purely on reaction, the fact he got as close as he did deserves plaudits. If he'd saved it, it would have been an excellent stop. The fact you'd ''expect'' him to save them seems only to demonstrate your entitlement... We shouldn't expect anything of a keeper when his defence fails to mark a man we know is a proficient finisher. This is a team game yet his teammate's failed to help him out, especially for the 2nd goal, so to then lay blame solely at his door is fairly moronic. 

Entitlement? We shouldn't expect anything of a keeper? What? Then what's the point in having them? They're there to save shots. Ince's shot would have been saved by most keepers in this league, he doesn't deserve plaudits for ultimately failing his job. And the first one was just as bad. The blame is not solely at Carson's door. The whole team was poor vs Stoke, but in the end the difference was in the goalkeeping department. Carson last year would have kept a clean sheet. Most should be able to acknowledge his level has dropped.

34 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Carson is not having his greatest season with the Rams and we are losing points that we would have got last season. 

How many points is Carson solely responsible for losing us this season?

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

Entitlement? We shouldn't expect anything of a keeper? What? Then what's the point in having them? They're there to save shots. Ince's shot would have been saved by most keepers in this league, he doesn't deserve plaudits for ultimately failing his job. And the first one was just as bad. The blame is not solely at Carson's door. The whole team was poor vs Stoke, but in the end the difference was in the goalkeeping department. Carson last year would have kept a clean sheet. Most should be able to acknowledge his level has dropped.

You're dressing opinion up as fact there and considering there's no means by which to test that hypothesis, it's a daft one to comment. This scenario happens very regularly: a player aims to drill the ball low into the corner, miscues the shot and it bobbles into the middle of the goal, completely bypassing the keeper who tries to read and subsequently dives where the shot is intended to go...

Now Ince looked like he was trying to drill it to Carson's right but scuffs the ball and it goes slightly to his left, all from less than 10 yards out. To readjust from where he was expecting the ball to go, switch sides and then hit the deck quick enough to stop the ball dead would have been an extraordinary feat that I doubt many keepers would have been able to pull off

4 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

You're dressing opinion up as fact there and considering there's no means by which to test that hypothesis, it's a daft one to comment. This scenario happens very regularly: a player aims to drill the ball low into the corner, miscues the shot and it bobbles into the middle of the goal, completely bypassing the keeper who tries to read and subsequently dives where the shot is intended to go...

Now Ince looked like he was trying to drill it to Carson's right but scuffs the ball and it goes slightly to his left, all from less than 10 yards out. To readjust from where he was expecting the ball to go, switch sides and then hit the deck quick enough to stop the ball dead would have been an extraordinary feat that I doubt many keepers would have been able to pull off

With respect, I'll agree to disagree here. I'm definitely of the opinion Carson's level has dropped substantially this season than it was from last year. 

Archived