V Swansea (h) match thread

RiddingsRam

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching the the Quest highlights I think (but my eyes aren't the best) it was mainly a mixup between Mount (on the near post) and Bryson (free in the box). Both moved to the ball to clear it, but then left it to each other. 

Expecting a low non threatening ball into the box to be cleared by either of those two at the near post, it was then past Keogh before he could react. 

Not a lot Tomori could do at the far post as he had to attempt to play it. No fault whatsoever for Carson who never had a chance to go for the ball. Really disappointing not to get the clean sheet but it's great to get back to winning ways, and with Marriott out injured. 

4 hours ago, Davide said:

Huddlestone was quality today. 

Really. As the holding midfield player he's slow to close the opposition down, is tackling is woeful, his passing is more negative than it is positive. He passes the ball backwards or sideways to his own defenders more times than he passes the ball forward. Keogh must pass the ball forward to an attacking teammate more times than Huddlestone.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Its natural don't be harsh. People have more to say when they are pissed off because we lost than when they are pissed off because we won

Or it could also be because people spout off loads before the game about how poor the selection is, then don't come back on after the win as they might like a bit foolish. The next time you see them is after the next defeat, saying all the things that only apply after a loss.

Until Nugent went off, we were well in control of the game. He led the line well, prompting others around him to close down on Swansea's defence. Once he went off our forward line stop closing down giving Swansea more time and space to control the ball enabling them set up their attacks.

33 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Really. As the holding midfield player he's slow to close the opposition down, is tackling is woeful, his passing is more negative than it is positive. He passes the ball backwards or sideways to his own defenders more times than he passes the ball forward. Keogh must pass the ball forward to an attacking teammate more times than Huddlestone.

Been talking about this, but I think Huddlestone’s quality can’t be questioned BUT within the current side I’m not sure his effective he is. Too many times I think he’s the easy pass outlet where’s he open because teams are happy for him to have the ball. Don’t get me wrong his passing and ability is sublime at times, but to make this team ‘tick’ we need Mount, Wilson et al to have much more of the ball than Huddlestone and that’s not really been happening. Also I’d question his defensive positioning but maybe that’s for another day.

Basically, great player but I want to see Evans eventually make that position his own soon.

54 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

You the bloke that said Duane Holmes should play defensive mid on radio derby

A great start to the festive period hopefully we can keep up the great December record we have had in recent years and end the year  as close to the top as possible. Wilson really has stepped up as the teams star man in recent weeks. After the first few weeks of watching him I wasn't so sure in him but he looks like our best player at the moment. Hopefully  Mount can get back to his early season form as he hasn't been at his best in recent weeks due to injuries affecting him, once he gets back to full form and Waghorn comes back in  we should be looking strong again. 

6 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

DB3C7815-DCCE-4498-AC44-5C2A6111E904.thumb.jpeg.624cca9f0b7f383fad6b4d31da6223a3.jpeg

It’s been a long journey as a season ticket holder, from 6-year-old kid to 19-year-old pisshead, but today I reached a new low. Never before have I thrown up at a home game, let alone outside the Volkswagen shop. What a time to be alive.

I once puked up on a coach to Bristol City in 1979. It stunk to high heaven and I was that embarrassed I came back on the train. I weren't even pished, it was a teenage hangover. Luckily it was a football special train and easy to blag your way on. I found out after that the coach waited for me with the stink of puke maturing nicely before they left for the pleasant trip back to Derby.

3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

His passing was great today. He took control of the midfield and set us up for attacks. Thought he was man of the match apart from Wilson. 

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Been talking about this, but I think Huddlestone’s quality can’t be questioned BUT within the current side I’m not sure his effective he is. Too many times I think he’s the easy pass outlet where’s he open because teams are happy for him to have the ball. Don’t get me wrong his passing and ability is sublime at times, but to make this team ‘tick’ we need Mount, Wilson et al to have much more of the ball than Huddlestone and that’s not really been happening. Also I’d question his defensive positioning but maybe that’s for another day.

Basically, great player but I want to see Evans eventually make that position his own soon.

I think Huddlestone shines in matches like Swansea. He had time and we were controlling possession. He struggles more when we are getting overrun in midfield. Thought he was excellent today. 

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Watching the the Quest highlights I think (but my eyes aren't the best) it was mainly a mixup between Mount (on the near post) and Bryson (free in the box). Both moved to the ball to clear it, but then left it to each other. 

Expecting a low non threatening ball into the box to be cleared by either of those two at the near post, it was then past Keogh before he could react. 

Not a lot Tomori could do at the far post as he had to attempt to play it. No fault whatsoever for Carson who never had a chance to go for the ball. Really disappointing not to get the clean sheet but it's great to get back to winning ways, and with Marriott out injured. 

I haven’t rewatched it but immediate reaction was any goalie should be defending that area, as someone said he has the advantages of using his hands.  You may be right but there is a theme starting which was there last year but not so quite apparent as now

10 hours ago, 1of4 said:

What Huddlestone does time and again is to play the intelligent pass, whether that's backwards, sideways or forward.

He's susceptible against pace but his tackling is good and he's calm in a team with a panicky defence.

He is the rock on which the flair boys depend.

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

I once puked up on a coach to Bristol City in 1979. It stunk to high heaven and I was that embarrassed I came back on the train. I weren't even pished, it was a teenage hangover. Luckily it was a football special train and easy to blag your way on. I found out after that the coach waited for me with the stink of puke maturing nicely before they left for the pleasant trip back to Derby.

Football specials?

Oh how I miss them !

Wierd and subdued atmosphere yesterday , even felt like that myself , felt a bit like a Spanish fan when we scored , usually I go mental when we score , instead I just stood up and clapped , quite disappointed in myself . 

We were totally in control of the game it's self , and at times looked complacent like we didn't want to make it a. 4,5 ,6 scoreline and wanted a bit more of a challenge . 

Stamdout players for me were Lawrence who had arguably his most complete performance in a Rams shirt . Wilson who's movement is improving game after game and he has to be one of the best finishers we've had here in a while . Finally Huddlestone who I can't praise enough how good he actually is .

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Wierd and subdued atmosphere yesterday , even felt like that myself , felt a bit like a spanish fan when we scored , usually I go mental when we score , instead I just stood up and clapped , quite disappointed in myself . 

We were totally in control of the game it's self , and at times looked complacent like we didn't want to make it a. 4,5 ,6 scoreline and wanted a bit more of a challenge . 

Stamdout players for me were Lawrence who had arguably his most complete performance in a Rams shirt . Wilson who's movement is improving game after game and he has to be one of the best finishers we've had here in a while . Finally Huddlestone who I can't praise enough how good he actually is .

oy whayou saying??

Archived