Ashley Cole is a Ram

Carl Sagan

31 minutes ago, Sweetness34 said:

Doesn't seem very popular reading the comments on here but I'm going to go against the grain and say I think it'd be a decent signing til the end of the season.

I can't claim to watch a lot of MLS and Ashley Cole is obviously past his prime but it wouldn't do us any harm to have some added experience in our back 4, especially with Curtis Davies being out for an extended time.

If Max Lowe was to come back from Aberdeen in January, imagine how he would benefit from Training with Ashley Cole and pushing for game time. Whether or not that's as good as playing regular up in Scotland, I'm not sure but it's certainly not a bad apprenticeship.

At the same time, I'd like to see someone come in at Right Back. Early on this season I thought Bogle was absolutely tremendous but he's not looking confident at the moment. If only Ashley Cole was a right back and could come in mentor Bogle because I think he's going to have a brilliant career, just needs nursing through his first season so he can finish the season full of confidence and come back next year 19 years old but better for the experience. Do we know any 37 year old Right Backs who were the best of their generation for England that need a club?!

Agreed.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this would be a bad punt. Our defence is looking weak at the moment, we're conceding too many goals and letting in far too many crosses.

This may be how Lamps has set up to play with FBs pushing on but I don't think on and off the pitch a player of Cole's caliber would be a bad thing given we only have one fit LB at the club. 

Everyone slagged John Terry off for the same reasons for Villa yet he did a great job there.  Til the end of the season, there are worse players out there and without Davies Lampard needs a proper leader on the pitch.

On 28/11/2018 at 14:25, Boycie said:

If we couldn’t afford or have a place for John Terry, then I can’t see a place for Cheryl’s ex husband tbh.

He wasn’t one of LA Galaxy’s three designated players who were allowed to be paid outside of the wage cap. I think he was only on £6,000 a week. 

On 30/11/2018 at 10:21, Sweetness34 said:

At the same time, I'd like to see someone come in at Right Back. Early on this season I thought Bogle was absolutely tremendous but he's not looking confident at the moment. If only Ashley Cole was a right back and could come in mentor Bogle because I think he's going to have a brilliant career, just needs nursing through his first season so he can finish the season full of confidence and come back next year 19 years old but better for the experience. Do we know any 37 year old Right Backs who were the best of their generation for England that need a club?!

Right back is the same job as left back. Using the other foot doesn't mean you can't mentor a young lad.

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

Thought he was good years ago but not sure what he's like now. Presumably slower but he would be a great mentor to the younger defenders

Not for me. If he thinks smoking is compatible with being a professional athlete, then he has no idea what being professional means. No way I would want him mentoring our younger defenders.  

Archived