Sign in to follow this  
Carl Sagan

Ashley Cole is a Ram

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Will be interesting to see if he's here as cover or a starter, either way, if he retains any of the ability he once had, I think it's a decent signing. 

Really think I will struggle to warm to him as a person though as he comes across as a complete arrogant knob and always has.

He was always one of my favourite England players but I still could not bring myself to like him as a person.

2 things I noticed from his interview, he was referring to his manager as Frank or Lamps, don't like that, he should be manager or gaffer the same as all of the squad call him. Secondly claims to have followed Derby and then refers to Max Lowe as 'the young lad' or something.

Pretty sure I'm over analysing all of this 😂

if you listen to the interview i heard he actually said this is the last time i can call him Lamps after today its boss.

45 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

So are you saying a person cannot change as they get more mature.Give the guy a chance make a judgement on what he does for the club.But i suppose you are one of those guys who has never done anything you regret.

No, I've not said that anywhere. 

Done plenty of things I regret, but there again I'm not in the public eye and looked upon as a role model by lots of kids.

I'll give the guy a chance, just as I did with Savage, who I thought was a complete rick prior to joining Derby.

I think we forget that players can be star struck by other footballers who have achieved huge amounts in the game - like our manager and now Ashley Cole - and underestimate the positive impact that can have on the attitude within a dressing room and, by extension, performance on the pitch.  Even if that player doesn't always play matches.

I recall the story about Dave Mackay, the player, sitting on the team bus next to a young John O'Hare as they drew up at an away ground. "Look at those fans asking who's that sitting next to John O'Hare" said the great man looking out of the window, leaving Mr O'Hare feeling as if he was the greatest centre forward to play the game.

Sometimes it's the things you don't see that can have the biggest impact.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah fair comment. 

Got a preconceived idea that he's a knob and probably just looking for things to back it up! 

Also currently reading one of The Secret Footballer books where he refers to Cole as an arrogant idiot or something along them lines. 

I would suggest all you doubters should read the article in DET  quoting managers who Cole has played for,they are in a better position to judge him as a paper rather some news paper hack only interested in a sensational headline or the fireside critics  judging him solely on the date on  his birth certificate

3 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

If you haven’t shot someone with an air rifle you haven’t lived!😂

I have! With a Webley Junior.

It was so weak I was surprised the pellet reached the end of the barrel but it still hurt apparently!

He forgave me........eventually!

It couldn’t break a jamjar yet bust a lamppost glass easily enough.

I haven’t got an air rifle anymore. Unlike my bruv!

Edited by Brummie Steve

26 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

I would suggest all you doubters should read the article in DET  quoting managers who Cole has played for,they are in a better position to judge him as a paper rather some news paper hack only interested in a sensational headline or the fireside critics  judging him solely on the date on  his birth certificate

I doubt many managers really care what their players do as long as they perform on the field.

I don't need his managers to tell me he ALLEGEDLY shot a student with an air rifle (an accusation that I'm not aware of him challenging)

I don't need his managers to tell me that he was ALLEGEDLY cheating on his wife on a regular basis (an accusation that I'm not aware of him challenging)

I don't need his managers to tell me that he referred to The FA as a bunch of twits on Twitter, not something I disagree with but not something you would expect from a role model.

I don't need his managers to tell me that he ALLEGEDLY jumped ship because he was horrified to be offered only £55,000 per week.

If he performs on the field I'm sure all of this will be forgotten, however, does not mean I have to like him as a person.

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I doubt many managers really care what their players do as long as they perform on the field.

I don't need his managers to tell me he ALLEGEDLY shot a student with an air rifle (an accusation that I'm not aware of him challenging)

I don't need his managers to tell me that he was ALLEGEDLY cheating on his wife on a regular basis (an accusation that I'm not aware of him challenging)

I don't need his managers to tell me that he referred to The FA as a bunch of twits on Twitter, not something I disagree with but not something you would expect from a role model.

I don't need his managers to tell me that he ALLEGEDLY jumped ship because he was horrified to be offered only £55,000 per week.

If he performs on the field I'm sure all of this will be forgotten, however, does not mean I have to like him as a person.

So in 20 years of his professional career, you can find 4 incidents that leave you to believe him to be a knob. One of which is that he moved for more money, shock horror, footballer moves for more money wow, I take it you think the same of any player that moves.

Another, which you fail to mention he apologised for, was because the the FA had criticised him as part of the JT enquires, yes real bad thing to do that, sticking up for yourself.

What he does in his personal life is, as it should be personal, not sure why him cheating on his wife is even worthy of making it to the papers, a role model isn’t someone who has to live his life as a saint, reiterating these allegations just fuel these journalists who make peoples life’s a misery.

ill give you the air rifle one.

36 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

So in 20 years of his professional career, you can find 4 incidents that leave you to believe him to be a knob. One of which is that he moved for more money, shock horror, footballer moves for more money wow, I take it you think the same of any player that moves.

Another, which you fail to mention he apologised for, was because the the FA had criticised him as part of the JT enquires, yes real bad thing to do that, sticking up for yourself.

What he does in his personal life is, as it should be personal, not sure why him cheating on his wife is even worthy of making it to the papers, a role model isn’t someone who has to live his life as a saint, reiterating these allegations just fuel these journalists who make peoples life’s a misery.

ill give you the air rifle one.

Didn't even need to go to the trouble to find 4 things, any one of them in isolation would make me think he's a knob.

What he does in his personal life is nothing to do with his football life, hence why I said I will support him as a DCFC player. Does not stop me from having an opinion on him as a person does it? 

After all the media treatment of Sterling, I'm re-evaluating what I thought of the likes of Cole, plus the likes of Terry and Rooney.

Non-sports media are scum and they love to pick people to attack. Rich black players are ideal, likewise player's from poor background who may not be brilliant and public speaking. If you get both, like Sterling, that's ideal.

From within football, you hardly ever heard a bad word about Cole and Terry. I'm sure Lamps started off getting loads of negative media, but been polite and good looking helped him.

If you want role models, go see a priest. Ahem.

Edited by ariotofmyown