Ashley Cole is a Ram

Carl Sagan

9 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Id rather save the money and sign a younger player.

And how many younger players are available on a free of the same calibre of Cole ?

We need a back up to Malone, we are up against FFP, why waste any money we have bringing in a player for a position we can cover through little additional cost.

As for GR getting hammered, yes he would if he brought him in as first choice, aka CJ (where is he now) however as a back I don’t think he would have done. 

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as the money isn't stupid, I can't see a negative to this. He's not going to play every game but his influence & experience could be just what our lads need at the back.

Oh, and Teddy Sheringham was still playing in the Premiership at nearly 41.

4 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Experience and a leader, something we lack in games sometimes.

Weve had Baird, Warnock and Eustace in the recent past who have been good for us so i cant really see why this is a bad thing.

All 4-5 years younger weren't they? Happy to trust Frank's judgement, be interesting to see how fit he is....

12 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I haven't seen him play for 10 years so can't comment. Trust Frank though....

To be taken with a heavy pinch of salt as the defending in the MLS is what really holds it back in terms of quality. He doesn't run much in any of these, so I think its safe to assume his pace isn't really there, but he doesn't seem to have lost much in terms of technical ability.

As long as his positioning is good enough to make up for a potential lack of pace I think he'll do fine.

10 hours ago, rcarso1 said:

Presumably you never saw Roy McFarland,Colin Todd or Igor Stimac play ?

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'd certainly be prepared to argue.

McFarland, Todd, Wright, Stimac.

Not old enough to have seen McFarland or Todd but in my opinion Wright is the only better central defender we've had than McGrath.

Stimac was obviously excellent as a ball player but from a defensive point of view spent way too much time on his backside, something McGrath had to do because his reading of the game was so good.

9 hours ago, richgee1976 said:

Although you've mentioned some of my fav ever Rams here, none of those players were aged 37 when playing at the top level for Derby tho! I think this is the point of the post you responded to ??

Taribo West was actually 59 when he was with us

Short term deal age really is no issue, if we was to start handing out 2 or 3 year contracts to a 38 year old I would have concerns.

I think it's worth mentioning that Ashley Cole has spoken of his desire to become a coach or scout at Chelsea, now I'm the last person to suggest we appoint anyone as a coach, but it does make me wonder if this could lead to Cole joining the coaching team in the summer as John Terry did at Villa.

Just a thought.

Also I know some will say it's a waste of money, we're stopping opportunities for younger players to come through, I think Lampard has proven he is more than willing to give youth a chance, if he doesn't feel that Lowe or MacDonald are ready for the first team we should respect that.

I would rather we wait till he feels they are ready, not dragging them through the chorus of groans/boos for any mistake when a player like Cole is available to play the odd game as and where needed and brings with him a wealth of experience from the very top level of the game. 

This could be a great signing for Bogle, you would hope he sticks to him like glue and hammers every last drop of knowledge out of him over the remainder of the season. What a mentor to have at the club.

I think you’re right, Frank does want to bring the young players through. I suspect he had high hopes for Max Lowe when he recalled him but the guy looked like a fish out of water against Leeds. He just didn’t look remotely ready for the pace of the Championship. That’s prompted the move for Ashley Cole and let Lowe get another few months’ development away from the pressure at Derby. I think it should be a very good short term fix, especially if Cole can pass on his knowledge to Bogle / Tomori.

50 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Haha I always think of that game where Bennett came on with no fear and tore past Cole 2/3 times - Probably the most impressive 10 mins I've seen from him and if he can develop into the player that 10 mins suggested he can still be a force

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Haha I always think of that game where Bennett came on with no fear and tore past Cole 2/3 times - Probably the most impressive 10 mins I've seen from him and if he can develop into the player that 10 mins suggested he can still be a force

Never really had the chance what with injuries and different managers and having Tom Ince there

Archived