Ashley Cole is a Ram

Carl Sagan

Let's remember closer to home. 

Arguably the best central defender to play for Derby? 

Couldn't train because of his dodgy knees, he had personal issues off the pitch. He was 37 when he played with us and arguably was responsible for keeping us up the last season at the BBG. 

His anticipation and quick reactions were still world class. 

Paul McGrath

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who ever Frank thinks will add something to the squad then for one i'm all for it, we all need to trust Frank's decisions...as a side note i remember when Dave Mackay signed and all these moaning minnie's in the Normanton end where i sat...he's too old, he's too slow and his knee's have gone blah blah...just saying. 

Excellent addition. Even if he can’t play to the required standard  he could be the difference in coaching.

losing a yard of pace for him probably makes him average speed.

I think he is the best England left back ever. Circumstance has created a public perception that may well be unwarranted. Arsenal fans assassinated his character, for what was an excellent footballing decision. He broke up with one of the UKs fave women. Stood by his friend who was accused of racism. 

Cech next? Just heard Essien is without a club as well. The Chelsea Pensioners!

56 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

If Gary Rowett was making this signing, we'd be hammering him...just saying.

I disagree, because it's all about the context. Rowett pretty much exclusively signed extremely old players, and added no youth. Currently our squad is probably too young in areas, particularly the defence. Having a good blend is important, Rowett's squad was far too old and slow. In this particular situation, it seems a reasonable move.

7 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Couldn't train because of his dodgy knees, he had personal issues off the pitch. He was 37 when he played with us and arguably was responsible for keeping us up the last season at the BBG. 

Paul McGrath

Presumably you never saw Roy McFarland,Colin Todd or Igor Stimac play ?

10 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Paul McGrath

I'd certainly be prepared to argue.

McFarland, Todd, Wright, Stimac.

21 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Paul McGrath

God he was good. I loved watching him play. Couldn't run, but didn't need to. Absolute class. 

6 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

Presumably you never saw Roy McFarland,Colin Todd or Igor Stimac play ?

Yes I did and I would still argue that McGrath was up there. That one season he was amazing,, especially considering his problems. 

What I'm saying is that a world class defender is not necessarily a waste of time at that age. 

22 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Yes I did and I would still argue that McGrath was up there. That one season he was amazing,, especially considering his problems. 

What I'm saying is that a world class defender is not necessarily a waste of time at that age. 

I’m with you ram59, he could barely walk but he’d always ‘just happen’ to be in exactly the right position at exactly the right time. Anticipation 20

46 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I'd certainly be prepared to argue.

McFarland, Todd, Wright, Stimac.

Although you've mentioned some of my fav ever Rams here, none of those players were aged 37 when playing at the top level for Derby tho! I think this is the point of the post you responded to ??

Archived