Ashley Cole is a Ram

Carl Sagan

Who knew Ashley was still playing, but apparently he's been plying his trade with LA Galaxy. And now he wants to return to the UK. And we and Villa (both with Chelsea connections) have expressed an interest: https://talksport.com/football/efl/452724/ashley-cole-chelsea-arsenal-Derby-aston-villa-free-transfer/

With Fozzy and OIsson out injured, you can see the sense if we would prefer to have Max Lowe stay for a full season at Aberdeen.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he will retire personally, 38 next month, played at the very top for both club and country, does he need to sit on a Championship bench for 5 months? 

I’m sure we all would given half a chance with the money that would be on offer, but he’s had a long career with very good wages.

Most players go to the MLS to retire, the only reason they move on is more money on offer in China. You can use Tim Cahill as evidence that some players do, although to be fair Tim Cahill had a connection to Millwall having previously played there and didn’t quite hit the heights Ashley Cole did.

I mentioned in the suggestion thread that had Rowett signed a 38 year old the forum would be in meltdown, so I don’t expect to see many up for this, although an argument could be made that this is a one off and allows Max Lowe to stay with Aberdeen and complete the season. Won’t stop me pulling a few legs though if I’m feeling a little mischievous at the time.

Not against us signing him, I’m not ageist, if he was up for it and still has the legs why not, can’t say I’ve watching many MLS games, been busy washing my hair. Those that have been monitoring Johnny Russell’s farewell to the game may be somewhat in the know, if they have followed the league closely and not just his games on TV.

Does have a little whiff of Terry about this, easy connection to make with the Chelsea thing. See what happens I guess. Wouldn’t rule it out but I would be surprised.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Does he have his badges, shown any interest in being a coach or is this a once great footballer get him as a coach batty ideas we see along with appointing Stimac as manager?

Who needs badges ? I don't have any but I still know better than most

If he'd come for less than 10k per week (not unrealistic going by reports) he'd be useful to have as a back up / mentor. 

We've seen the impact older heads have on younger players (Nugent training Marriott up for example) and potentially he'd really help push the inexperienced players. 

Doesn't seem very popular reading the comments on here but I'm going to go against the grain and say I think it'd be a decent signing til the end of the season.

I can't claim to watch a lot of MLS and Ashley Cole is obviously past his prime but it wouldn't do us any harm to have some added experience in our back 4, especially with Curtis Davies being out for an extended time.

If Max Lowe was to come back from Aberdeen in January, imagine how he would benefit from Training with Ashley Cole and pushing for game time. Whether or not that's as good as playing regular up in Scotland, I'm not sure but it's certainly not a bad apprenticeship.

At the same time, I'd like to see someone come in at Right Back. Early on this season I thought Bogle was absolutely tremendous but he's not looking confident at the moment. If only Ashley Cole was a right back and could come in mentor Bogle because I think he's going to have a brilliant career, just needs nursing through his first season so he can finish the season full of confidence and come back next year 19 years old but better for the experience. Do we know any 37 year old Right Backs who were the best of their generation for England that need a club?!

Archived