Sol Campbell - The Manager

Day

3 hours ago, Paul71 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46391157

Clearly thinks a lot of himself.

He was a decent player One of the best in the world??? Not sure about that.

His early Arsenal years. Pace, power and skill. He was definitely up there.

His podcast with Danny Kelly about his career is a good listen, especially his loss of form / injuries towards the end of his career. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sol was a world class defender in his prime. Outstanding player. Fact he calls himself such and says he is one of the best minds in football is the reason no one has given him a job, not the colour of his skin.

Lets see if he can back it up now but part of me hopes he fails because he’s an idiot.

Black managers and coaches do need to be given more of a chance though and hopefully we’ll see more come through.

I strongly, strongly disagree that former black players don't get a chance based on the colour of their skin. It's absolutely ridiculous. I also find the requirement for a Rooney rule absolutely bonkers. The reason Campbell didn't get a top job is because he's not proven himself, nothing more or less. He could throw the likes of Lampard out there as getting a Championship job, but the difference is startling. 

Campbell goes in to his first press conference and talks himself up as one of the best players in the world. It's something I find staggering. If you HAVE to call yourself one of the best in the world, you're not. Lampard has never had to talk himself up here, he's always peddled the line that it's all about the players now on the pitch. Massive difference. 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I strongly, strongly disagree that former black players don't get a chance based on the colour of their skin. It's absolutely ridiculous. I also find the requirement for a Rooney rule absolutely bonkers. The reason Campbell didn't get a top job is because he's not proven himself, nothing more or less. He could throw the likes of Lampard out there as getting a Championship job, but the difference is startling. 

Campbell goes in to his first press conference and talks himself up as one of the best players in the world. It's something I find staggering. If you HAVE to call yourself one of the best in the world, you're not. Lampard has never had to talk himself up here, he's always peddled the line that it's all about the players now on the pitch. Massive difference. 

I think the Rooney rule is fine. Given the high proportion of players from ethic minority backgrounds, but the low proportion of managers, I reckon this will help in some small way towards a better and fairer society. It's a far better way of trying to balance things out than exclusive shortlists. 

But the main problem is probably one of simple inertia from owners, picking from the same old "experienced" candidates, even if their experience is one of failure. So it's hard for any new manager to break through into the role from the outside. 

If Campbell has gone into his first presser bigging himself up, it's not what I'd go for but he might think it's the way to take pressure of his players, or give them belief in their new boss. There are lots of different managerial styles - I like Lampard's a lot. But the proof of the pudding with Sol's appointment will be in the results he gets. 

Darren Moore walked straight into a premier league job. Just saying. 

But @Carl Sagan is right. It’s maibly about owners picking from the same tried and failed Merry-go-round. Or if they want to try something new, they go foreign. 

Funny that owners seem to be happy to give a Spaniard who was assistant to what’s-his-face a chance in his first big job, but not a British manager. That’s not an anti-Europe thing, I’m just saying it’s difficult for any new English manager to get a job without starting right at the bottom.

well done Mel, I say, for plucking a young, up and coming manager from obscurity, and giving him his first chance. You mark my words, Frank Lampard will soon be a house hold name. 

21 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Darren Moore walked straight into a premier league job. Just saying. 

But @Carl Sagan is right. It’s maibly about owners picking from the same tried and failed Merry-go-round. Or if they want to try something new, they go foreign. 

Funny that owners seem to be happy to give a Spaniard who was assistant to what’s-his-face a chance in his first big job, but not a British manager. That’s not an anti-Europe thing, I’m just saying it’s difficult for any new English manager to get a job without starting right at the bottom.

well done Mel, I say, for plucking a young, up and coming manager from obscurity, and giving him his first chance. You mark my words, Frank Lampard will soon be a house hold name. 

Except for being involved with the youths and later the first team as a coach at West Brom first. 

12 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Except for being involved with the youths and later the first team as a coach at West Brom first. 

Kind of my point. He worked his way up to the position. He found his route to the top, as do all managers have to. He had to literally almost work a miracle to be even considered full time. Not because he’s black, but because he’s inexperienced and English. 

But the fact remains that his first managerial position was in the premier league. Kind of skews the proportionality stats a bit. 

This "he was a top player so must manage a top club" is total nonsense! Black, White, Brown, Yellow, is irrelevant. Why does being a good player equip you for management, apart from fact you probably played under a good manager. More likely you played under good coaches and had limited experience of what the Manager was doing in his office.

A good teacher doesn't make a good head.

A good combat soldier doesn't make a Brigadier

Let a Matron run a Hospital, no-way.

And here's another thought before I get ready for todays game: Every year around 200 players are "let go" or retire from the game. There are just not enough management jobs to go round. 

19 hours ago, cosmic said:

I believe it may have been Grimsby reading between the lines of a couple of his comments about not having time to prepare.

I don't care if you get 45 minutes notice and the call comes while you're having a poo.

Get your phone out in the taxi on the way to the ground and google frigging soccerbase. At least arm yourself with some stats on the top 6 by appearance/goals.

Being unable to name a single player shows a huge lack of respect for the club doing the interviewing. Bloody hell, everyday folk know they've got more chance of getting a job if they do a bit of prep work and some research. If I'm the chairman of the club interviewing him, the meeting stops on the spot.

I've always been struck by the confidence bordering on massive over arrogance of Sol whenever he's been on the TV or radio, he comes across quite poorly. That's despite me absolutely loving him as a player.

Having said that, is he any different there to people like Jose, like Zlatan like Sam Allardyce ?

It's going to be interesting, his ego has been writing a lot of cheques. I hope it goes really well for him, would be great to see him prove his doubters wrong. Personally I don't see him doing well but am basing that on nothing more than a hunch.

On 30/11/2018 at 01:32, Carl Sagan said:

I think the Rooney rule is fine. Given the high proportion of players from ethic minority backgrounds, but the low proportion of managers, I reckon this will help in some small way towards a better and fairer society. It's a far better way of trying to balance things out than exclusive shortlists. 

But the main problem is probably one of simple inertia from owners, picking from the same old "experienced" candidates, even if their experience is one of failure. So it's hard for any new manager to break through into the role from the outside. 

If Campbell has gone into his first presser bigging himself up, it's not what I'd go for but he might think it's the way to take pressure of his players, or give them belief in their new boss. There are lots of different managerial styles - I like Lampard's a lot. But the proof of the pudding with Sol's appointment will be in the results he gets. 

If that's the main problem then the Rooney Rule would discriminate against the white people who aren't in the group of experienced candidates you mention.

23 hours ago, eddie said:

Quite a few insecure white people posting in this thread. It's awful how much you are discriminated against.

There's at least one progressive who has piped up who doesn't seem to understand that in this part of the world people are generally seen as individuals.

Archived