U23 v Arsenal

Rambalin

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to see the u23’s doing well, with the likes of Bogle being a first team regular and a few others dotted around we may finally have the right motivation to get the youth players to the next level.

Two points on the senior players

1) nice to see positive comments about  Pearce too, I’ve said this a few times but I wonder whether he’s taking a background role. Seen him talking to coaches during games and training videos show him involved. Possibly just happy to take it all in and learn and fill in where necessary. Good on him.

2) Wonder whether this what they mean by Thorne being ready physically but not mentally. In that he cant get used to tackles going in on him or that he takes them personally and loses his head. Hopefully he’s seen afterwards that he’s fine and although it’s frustrating it can help him turn the corner a bit 

4 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Great to see the u23’s doing well, with the likes of Bogle being a first team regular and a few others dotted around we may finally have the right motivation to get the youth players to the next level.

Two points on the senior players

1) nice to see positive comments about  Pearce too, I’ve said this a few times but I wonder whether he’s taking a background role. Seen him talking to coaches during games and training videos show him involved. Possibly just happy to take it all in and learn and fill in where necessary. Good on him.

2) Wonder whether this what they mean by Thorne being ready physically but not mentally. In that he cant get used to tackles going in on him or that he takes them personally and loses his head. Hopefully he’s seen afterwards that he’s fine and although it’s frustrating it can help him turn the corner a bit 

Agree with both points here. Pearce is a great leader of the young lads and never stops urging them on.

And Thorne knows what a rash tackle can mean for someone's career through bitter personal experience.  It's no excuse, but it's a reason for the over-reaction.

18 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Watched the highlights earlier. Some quick, incisive passing. Ball being played intelligently to feet. Lovely stuff to watch... And that's without even considering the goals which are top drawer. 

Is it the same sort of style as the first team? 433 with lots of attacking options?

If so, then ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to the Derby Way....?

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Is it the same sort of style as the first team? 433 with lots of attacking options?

If so, then ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce you to the Derby Way....?

The under 23s have always played the Derby Way.  It's the first team that keeps changing tack! 

I hope we're finally steering a true course. 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

The under 23s have always played the Derby Way.  It's the first team that keeps changing tack! 

I hope we're finally steering a true course. 

I was being a bit naughty. But id understood that the Derby way was used to describe us playing the same way at all levels (without saying anything about the actual style itself).

Sounds like we're playing good stuff at all levels which is a bonus ?

6 hours ago, angieram said:

Agree with both points here. Pearce is a great leader of the young lads and never stops urging them on.

And Thorne knows what a rash tackle can mean for someone's career through bitter personal experience.  It's no excuse, but it's a reason for the over-reaction.

I think Thorne's reaction isn't because it was a tackle, it is because their player has just kicked him. He knew what he was doing and I suspect that was what the red card was for. 

6 hours ago, rynny said:

I think Thorne's reaction isn't because it was a tackle, it is because their player has just kicked him. He knew what he was doing and I suspect that was what the red card was for. 

Just watched the incident. I can fully understand Thorne's reaction. The Arsenal player took a full blooded swing at him with no intention of getting the ball. That doesn't mean George's reaction is right, but it is understandable.

11 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Just watched the incident. I can fully understand Thorne's reaction. The Arsenal player took a full blooded swing at him with no intention of getting the ball. That doesn't mean George's reaction is right, but it is understandable.

Agreed. 

Archived