Anag Ram

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Guess who just ran 20 miles?

This old fart, that’s who!

Never thought it possible.

Enjoying a coffee but not looking forward to the ice bath.

https://www.justgiving.com/companyteams/RunLily2019

Oh, you spoilt it!  I was gonna guess it was you... no seriously, I really was!  

...Oh yeah... well done you.  :-)

On 30/01/2019 at 20:01, MuespachRam said:

Hope the trainings going well.

I have run marathons and my words of wisdom would be...in no particular order...

Get a vest with your name printed on the front - There is nothing inspires you more than when some stranger shouts out "keep going Anag Ram" it really does give you a huge boost.

Don't wear a watch. You will finish when you finish, having a watch just makes you paranoid and start off too quickly (this isn't really possible until about 4 miles at London due to the crowds)

Find a good quality pair of trainers, and buy two pairs and wear them alternatively. Take the least worn pair to London.

If you want to walk, then walk, don't beat yourself up about it.

At every aid station take in liquid - whatever the "official sponsor" for the marathon is try and use that pre race too - at the aid stations get a drink of water from the first person you can and walk with it through the station taking all the cup full, then get another one and do the same, don't waste your time running and drinking you will just spill it everywhere and get nothing inside

Book dinner reservations now - you will be starving and everywhere is packed afterwards

Make sure you have a good meeting point afterwards with your friends/family it is carnage after the race and the last thing you need to do I hang around looking for your cheerleading team

Enter a couple of half marathons and a 20 mile race in the next month or so, there are millions around this time of year specially for London Marathon entrants, it will give you a feel of race day and what you might expect.

Book the next day off work and avoid stairs afterwards!!

Don't worry, its not that far really.

Tell everyone you meet you are doing it, this will shame you into completing it

Enjoy it - its the London Marathon, you are going to be competing (and beating) famous people, seeing iconic sights as you run around and have the backing of millions of spectators.

Managed to get the T-shirts done this week. Helps get us on the spirit for the big day.

Haven't entered a race but we have done 20 and 21 miles the last two Saturdays.

Hotel is booked for the Saturday and Sunday night and no work on the Monday. I am entered in the Bristol 10k the week after but we'll have to see how I am for that.

One more long run next week then we will taper it down thereafter.

Just need one last push on the sponsorship and we'll be sorted.

Bring it on!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/neil-thompson40

On 27/11/2018 at 11:35, Phoenix said:

Just to add, all the above posts are full of genuine, pertinant, helpful comments. The biggest fear is hitting the wall. This is usually caused by going off too fast. I have to say, from personal experience, you'll struggle to start off too fast at London. The last one I did was 2000, and it was so congested I didn't get into my stride til 21 miles, so I did a very disappointing time. London is definitely not a course for a P.B (unless it's your 1st, of course!)

Long runs. I found in training, that the last mile was a struggle. The next long run would be a mile longer, and the last mile was always a struggle, and so on. You get my drift? That's why I think it's important to make sure the last long run before the event (preferably 2 weeks before) should be well over 20 miles.

I can't remember the science behind it, but the average human body will start running out of its normal fuel at about 17 miles, after which, other resources are called into play. So if you can eke out that 1st resource a bit longer (steadier running) the other resouces get a chance to kick in. Running more than 20 miles a few times starts conditioning the body to adapt more efficiently. At least, that's the theory.

You're so right about the long runs.

Last week we did 20 miles. It was painful and a real mental challenge but achievable without stopping.

Doing 21 today really tested us. Just one mile further but I noticed my thighs stiffening which hasn't happened up until now. We managed to run all the way and bizarrely were a bit quicker but there's no doubt there was a world of difference.

I can see how 'the wall' can strike.

One more long run next week then we will look after ourselves for a bit.

Thanks for the warning!

10 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

You're so right about the long runs.

Last week we did 20 miles. It was painful and a real mental challenge but achievable without stopping.

Doing 21 today really tested us. Just one mile further but I noticed my thighs stiffening which hasn't happened up until now. We managed to run all the way and bizarrely were a bit quicker but there's no doubt there was a world of difference.

I can see how 'the wall' can strike.

One more long run next week then we will look after ourselves for a bit.

Thanks for the warning!

Seems like you're sticking to a good plan. Good luck with it all. The crowd will carry you along.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Everything alright today @Anag Ram mate?

Yes thanks.

4:48:57, which wasn't too bad for a first marathon.

It was brutal and I got cramp 200 metres from the end but I have the medal and several pints inside me.

I must say the crowd is awesome. 

A brilliant day all round and a tremendous relief.

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes thanks.

It was brutal and I got cramp 200 metres from the end but I have the medal and several pints inside me.

Well done, mate. You'll remember this day all your life.

13 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes thanks.

Well done.

24 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes thanks.

Well done fella, it’s emotional completing that isn’t it?.

Archived