London Marathon

Anag Ram

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Did my first 15 mile run today.

Who are these people who 'enjoy' such things?

Self-satisfied smile now though.

I have a fiver on Derby today in a bet with Jonathan Pearce who I met Monday night.

COYR!

If you have survived 15 miles you can do the marathon. Well done. 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I have a fiver on Derby today in a bet with Jonathan Pearce who I met Monday night.

COYR!

I’m enjoying this thread,keep it updated please.

I’m not a big runner because I’m too big and old and I prefer the gym but I’ll go 5 miles plus just to clear my head.

If you need inspiration look up some of the David Goggins ultra marathon stuff on you tube.

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

I’m enjoying this thread,keep it updated please.

I’m not a big runner because I’m too big and old and I prefer the gym but I’ll go 5 miles plus just to clear my head.

If you need inspiration look up some of the David Goggins ultra marathon stuff on you tube.

Wow - he's quite a character isn't he?

I went to the Comedy Store on Monday night for a Lily Foundation fundraiser. That's the charity I am running for. The picture is of me with the founder and that bloke off QI (nice chap).

There was so.much positivity from them towards my run that I was pumped for April.

I will certainly keep posting as there is still much work to do.

Keep up the running and gym work. There's still life in us fiftysomethings!

IMG-20190216-WA0000.jpg

14 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Wow - he's quite a character isn't he?

I went to the Comedy Store on Monday night for a Lily Foundation fundraiser. That's the charity I am running for. The picture is of me with the founder and that bloke off QI (nice chap).

There was so.much positivity from them towards my run that I was pumped for April.

I will certainly keep posting as there is still much work to do.

Keep up the running and gym work. There's still life in us fiftysomethings!

IMG-20190216-WA0000.jpg

That’s a great cause,I didn’t know the charity.

We’ll donate at some point.

We really ought to do a forum charity run/thing.

Unfortunately my time is limited.

??

Another 15 miles completed this morning, this time with my son-in-law who is recovering from a knee injury.  

Apparently, I got carried away at the end and ran our four fastest miles.

It didn’t feel like it as I was hanging at the end.

The feeling you get about now makes it worthwhile. It’s like a total detox and post-massage glow combined.

On 16 February 2019 at 10:20, Anag Ram said:

COYR!

How did the bet go and well done for putting up with Jonathan Pearce, he should have been giving you a fiver at least for the inconvenience!

57 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

How did the bet go and well done for putting up with Jonathan Pearce, he should have been giving you a fiver at least for the inconvenience!

Lost my bet because Derby  were so awful against Brighton.

JP is alright. Bit grumpy but very knowledgeable about football.

He's running London too which is pretty remarkable given his massive gut!

26 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Lost my bet because Derby  were so awful against Brighton.

JP is alright. Bit grumpy but very knowledgeable about football.

He's running London too which is pretty remarkable given his massive gut!

Lesson for the day, don't waste your money backing Derby as they let us all down on a regular basis especially when you stick money on them, and JP should know better fleecing a Ram.

Get him back by betting him £50 that you'll beat him in the Marathon,making sure you tie his laces together and to his massive gut, and a lampost, that should do the trick!

Weekly update!

Yesterday we stretched to 17 miles. The photo says everything really. I guess this is the way of things now - each week testing ourselves further.

So tired I sat in an ice bath happily, watching a sex change take place quite naturally.

4E438B7F-F19F-4CB5-8978-670CB2AD2E39.jpeg

A bit late to the party but my biggest advice would be to make sure you do 20+ miles before the day.

I’ve done 3 London Marathons now and I was running 20 miles with ease in training...but that last 6 miles destroyed me on the day!

Also don’t worry about a time, just enjoy yourself! It’s far too busy along the way (took me a good 10 minutes to even get over the start line).

Any questions let me know...but you’ll absolutely love the crowds and atmosphere! 

8 hours ago, Mckram said:

A bit late to the party but my biggest advice would be to make sure you do 20+ miles before the day.

I’ve done 3 London Marathons now and I was running 20 miles with ease in training...but that last 6 miles destroyed me on the day!

Also don’t worry about a time, just enjoy yourself! It’s far too busy along the way (took me a good 10 minutes to even get over the start line).

Any questions let me know...but you’ll absolutely love the crowds and atmosphere! 

Thanks McKram. Yes the aim is to do at least 20 on our final big run in the first week in April.

It’s absolutely horrible towards the end of each run but the feeling you get when you stop is nice and it gets better about an hour later.

I am now starting to look forward to the big day. Our charity has a big party in the pub afterwards so it should be a good day.

Whatever habits you develop, if they work for you then don't change them. Brother in law decided to try a gel for the first time at a water station and spent ages trying to spit it out. Doing a kilomathon I thought a banana would be great for breakfast on race day. Spent first three miles plodding along with gut rot.

4 hours ago, dog said:

Whatever habits you develop, if they work for you then don't change them. Brother in law decided to try a gel for the first time at a water station and spent ages trying to spit it out. Doing a kilomathon I thought a banana would be great for breakfast on race day. Spent first three miles plodding along with gut rot.

Thanks dog

Yeah my son-in-law swears by the gels but they make me feel sick.

I carry a plastic water bottle which apparently is bad for posture but I find it helps keep my hands steady and gives me an occasional fluid boost after tricky stretches like hills.

Not sure what I will eat on race day. I don't usually eat anything because we set off at about 6.30am but I might try a bit of porage before a training run and see how that goes.

On 03/03/2019 at 07:49, Anag Ram said:

Weekly update!

Yesterday we stretched to 17 miles. The photo says everything really. I guess this is the way of things now - each week testing ourselves further.

So tired I sat in an ice bath happily, watching a sex change take place quite naturally.

4E438B7F-F19F-4CB5-8978-670CB2AD2E39.jpeg

Is that your lad chuckling at you☹️.

I’d have to trip him up.

15 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Is that your lad chuckling at you☹️.

I’d have to trip him up.

Yeah but only one of us is wearing a knee brace!

He's good as gold as a son-in-law to be fair and we keep each other going.

Last week it was him moaning at me for going too fast at the end. Funny really. The wife moans about the same thing!

On 04/03/2019 at 11:18, Anag Ram said:

Thanks dog

Yeah my son-in-law swears by the gels but they make me feel sick.

I carry a plastic water bottle which apparently is bad for posture but I find it helps keep my hands steady and gives me an occasional fluid boost after tricky stretches like hills.

Not sure what I will eat on race day. I don't usually eat anything because we set off at about 6.30am but I might try a bit of porage before a training run and see how that goes.

Toast and honey always worked for me.

OMG I'm feeling old!

Stark realisation of the task ahead today. We did 18 miles for the first time. Windy and hilly. One half mile stretch rose 286 feet. 

I was completely shattered at the end but that's to be expected I guess when you run further than ever before.

Son-in-law kept me going and the smile from titch was worth it alone.

C0794FFC-2504-410A-A3F7-7E3F3D257A31.jpeg

Archived