London Marathon

Anag Ram

So, after not being able to run at all in late December due to a torn calf muscle, we are up to 11 miles.

Doing 6 milers in between to get the miles in the legs. Discovered the joys of jogger’s nipple this week - which was mice.

I was instructed to let you know when I was getting sponsors. I am running twice as far as I have ever run for the Lily Foundation, a brilliant charity set up by a grieving mother who lost her daughter to mitochondrial disease. My own granddaughter Freya (she’s the one in the middle) was born with the disease but is thankfully well at present.

Any donation you can afford would be absolutely awesome.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/neil-thompson40

https://www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk/

64833413-4706-4BA8-88A3-11D5FD901356.jpeg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 26/11/2018 at 16:55, Anag Ram said:

At the age of 54 I have today been allocated a charity place for next year's London marathon.

I am both excited and terrified!

I have run two half marathons and a number of 10ks in the past but the thought of 26 miles seems daunting.

Anyone with experience got any tips?

Yes mate, don’t stop until you get to the end, have a great day (it’s immense) don’t worry about times, it’s the finishing that counts.?

52 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

That just giving link don't work for me... "Access denied... Sorry, you don't have permission to view this page..."

Maybe that's your page owner/admin page, not the one for us mere mortals?  

Hi

Retried the original link and it works for me but if you don’t get any joy, please try the team link.

Thanks — and sorry!

https://www.justgiving.com/companyteams/RunLily2019

11 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Hi

Retried the original link and it works for me but if you don’t get any joy, please try the team link.

Thanks — and sorry!

https://www.justgiving.com/companyteams/RunLily2019

Weirdly, that first link (in the post with your photo) still doesn't work for me, but the one you've posted here works perfectly!

Best o' luck.  

20 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Weirdly, that first link (in the post with your photo) still doesn't work for me, but the one you've posted here works perfectly!

Best o' luck.  

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it. I’ll keep checking the links, too.?

18 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

So, after not being able to run at all in late December due to a torn calf muscle, we are up to 11 miles.

Doing 6 milers in between to get the miles in the legs. Discovered the joys of jogger’s nipple this week - which was mice.

I was instructed to let you know when I was getting sponsors. I am running twice as far as I have ever run for the Lily Foundation, a brilliant charity set up by a grieving mother who lost her daughter to mitochondrial disease. My own granddaughter Freya (she’s the one in the middle) was born with the disease but is thankfully well at present.

Any donation you can afford would be absolutely awesome.

https://www.thelilyfoundation.org.uk/

64833413-4706-4BA8-88A3-11D5FD901356.jpeg

You were warned! Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Ran into work today.

Now have frozen nipple. 

Anyone know where I can get a 40B bra?

No lacy stuff.

Hah ha went out for a run down here in Dorset this morning and only got sunburnt ? Should never have gone topless.

Hope the trainings going well.

I have run marathons and my words of wisdom would be...in no particular order...

Get a vest with your name printed on the front - There is nothing inspires you more than when some stranger shouts out "keep going Anag Ram" it really does give you a huge boost.

Don't wear a watch. You will finish when you finish, having a watch just makes you paranoid and start off too quickly (this isn't really possible until about 4 miles at London due to the crowds)

Find a good quality pair of trainers, and buy two pairs and wear them alternatively. Take the least worn pair to London.

If you want to walk, then walk, don't beat yourself up about it.

At every aid station take in liquid - whatever the "official sponsor" for the marathon is try and use that pre race too - at the aid stations get a drink of water from the first person you can and walk with it through the station taking all the cup full, then get another one and do the same, don't waste your time running and drinking you will just spill it everywhere and get nothing inside

Book dinner reservations now - you will be starving and everywhere is packed afterwards

Make sure you have a good meeting point afterwards with your friends/family it is carnage after the race and the last thing you need to do I hang around looking for your cheerleading team

Enter a couple of half marathons and a 20 mile race in the next month or so, there are millions around this time of year specially for London Marathon entrants, it will give you a feel of race day and what you might expect.

Book the next day off work and avoid stairs afterwards!!

Don't worry, its not that far really.

Tell everyone you meet you are doing it, this will shame you into completing it

Enjoy it - its the London Marathon, you are going to be competing (and beating) famous people, seeing iconic sights as you run around and have the backing of millions of spectators.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

Hope the trainings going well.

I have run marathons and my words of wisdom would be...in no particular order...

Get a vest with your name printed on the front - There is nothing inspires you more than when some stranger shouts out "keep going Anag Ram" it really does give you a huge boost.

Don't wear a watch. You will finish when you finish, having a watch just makes you paranoid and start off too quickly (this isn't really possible until about 4 miles at London due to the crowds)

Find a good quality pair of trainers, and buy two pairs and wear them alternatively. Take the least worn pair to London.

If you want to walk, then walk, don't beat yourself up about it.

At every aid station take in liquid - whatever the "official sponsor" for the marathon is try and use that pre race too - at the aid stations get a drink of water from the first person you can and walk with it through the station taking all the cup full, then get another one and do the same, don't waste your time running and drinking you will just spill it everywhere and get nothing inside

Book dinner reservations now - you will be starving and everywhere is packed afterwards

Make sure you have a good meeting point afterwards with your friends/family it is carnage after the race and the last thing you need to do I hang around looking for your cheerleading team

Enter a couple of half marathons and a 20 mile race in the next month or so, there are millions around this time of year specially for London Marathon entrants, it will give you a feel of race day and what you might expect.

Book the next day off work and avoid stairs afterwards!!

Don't worry, its not that far really.

Tell everyone you meet you are doing it, this will shame you into completing it

Enjoy it - its the London Marathon, you are going to be competing (and beating) famous people, seeing iconic sights as you run around and have the backing of millions of spectators.

Very sound advice, every point.

Or you could run it the Inverurie Ram way.

Build up your jogging by popping out now and again, I managed at best to complete 5 laps of Inverurie which was about 10 miles at the very best and was cheered on by a couple of youths in a bus stop who had seen me at least three times passing them, I gave them a shout of "Up The Rams" and they shouted something back!

Then entered three triathlons, even though I can't swim, or hardly can cycle, I was last in the pool and last out of it in my baggy Peter Kay top bombing shorts, and my family laughed at me from the swimming pool spectator area, then I struggled to get out of the pool before getting onto my very heavy and old rusty pink mountain bike whilst all these other hip and trendy folk in Lycra pinged onto there feather weight racing bikes and shot off before they saw me at a roadside with my bike up side down as I tried to put the rusty chain back on, which came off again a couple more times, before we all went for a run around the hilly local area.

Get yourself to Chicago with a Derby running club, and get yourself along to a Chicago Fire for a match, and spend a few days on the beer, before going out the night before the marathon, to enjoy a load of Guiness (fuel) to cheer England on against Turkey in a pub for a 0-0 thriller to qualify for the Euro's in Portugal in 2004. Wake up in the morning all Guinessyfied, give your head a shake, and breathe, grab yourself a banana and get yourself and your running buddies down to the start and then set yourself a target, mine was to get this big run out of the way, so we could all get back into the pub as quickly as possible and everyone in front of me was a Forest (fan) Gump and needed chasing down and given a good beating (at running!)

Get yourself a seat in the pub after doing your best John Wayne impressions (the Chrissy Waddle to the bar) and quickly get yourself and your palls talking about football, as after 30 mins of discussing finishing times, chip times (about 1 hour after with a big dollop of mushy peas, and a shed load of vinegar well your in London, so no chance!) and you'll soon find out whether or not if one marathon is enough for you.

One was enough for me in 2003 I'd rather play football for 3hours, 49mins and 56seconds instead or would rather go for a long stroll around a load of boozers instead!

@Anag Ram Run Dusty Run, Don't Hold Back The Hammer...........

8 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Or you could run it the Inverurie Ram way.

Build up your jogging by popping out now and again, I managed at best to complete 5 laps of Inverurie which was about 10 miles at the very best and was cheered on by a couple of youths in a bus stop who had seen me at least three times passing them, I gave them a shout of "Up The Rams" and they shouted something back!

Then entered three triathlons, even though I can't swim, or hardly can cycle, I was last in the pool and last out of it in my baggy Peter Kay top bombing shorts, and my family laughed at me from the swimming pool spectator area, then I struggled to get out of the pool before getting onto my very heavy and old rusty pink mountain bike whilst all these other hip and trendy folk in Lycra pinged onto there feather weight racing bikes and shot off before they saw me at a roadside with my bike up side down as I tried to put the rusty chain back on, which came off again a couple more times, before we all went for a run around the hilly local area.

Get yourself to Chicago with a Derby running club, and get yourself along to a Chicago Fire for a match, and spend a few days on the beer, before going out the night before the marathon, to enjoy a load of Guiness (fuel) to cheer England on against Turkey in a pub for a 0-0 thriller to qualify for the Euro's in Portugal in 2004. Wake up in the morning all Guinessyfied, give your head a shake, and breathe, grab yourself a banana and get yourself and your running buddies down to the start and then set yourself a target, mine was to get this big run out of the way, so we could all get back into the pub as quickly as possible and everyone in front of me was a Forest (fan) Gump and needed chasing down and given a good beating (at running!)

Get yourself a seat in the pub after doing your best John Wayne impressions (the Chrissy Waddle to the bar) and quickly get yourself and your palls talking about football, as after 30 mins of discussing finishing times, chip times (about 1 hour after with a big dollop of mushy peas, and a shed load of vinegar well your in London, so no chance!) and you'll soon find out whether or not if one marathon is enough for you.

One was enough for me in 2003 I'd rather play football for 3hours, 49mins and 56seconds instead or would rather go for a long stroll around a load of boozers instead!

@Anag Ram Run Dusty Run, Don't Hold Back The Hammer...........

Wow. You sound like the third Brownlee brother!

Bet you had a breeze. Good on you. 

We spend so much of our lives talking about things we can't do. We can do them. Maybe not that well but that's not important.

I just want to be able to say I did it and raised a few quid.?

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Wow. You sound like the third Brownlee brother!

Bet you had a breeze. Good on you. 

We spend so much of our lives talking about things we can't do. We can do them. Maybe not that well but that's not important.

I just want to be able to say I did it and raised a few quid.?

@Anag Ram exactly how I felt.

After years and years of seeing the London Marathon pop up on the telly on a Sunday, usually struggling with a hang over, watching all kinds of people, of all ages running 26 and a bit miles, and thinking I could do that, and I could raise a few quid also.

So 2003 was before all this social media and all the fundraising websites that make it far more easier, or I wasn't aware of them, so I just had a big empty pickled onion jar at my desk at work, with a label I'd made stuck on it with the details that I was running a marathon and was raising money for the Aberdeen Cancer Ward and would be grateful for any donations, so I ended up raising £1,000 and set myself a personal goal of doing it under 4 hours, and I did and I felt really proud of myself and emotional when I crossed that finishing line, just like you will.

Enjoy it and try and take on board all the good tips posted above from @Phoenix and @MuespachRam because they all do help.

If not already mentioned above have a few jelly babies before you start, might be good for energy levels and really do your best, because that's all you can do.

14 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Very coincidental and in all honesty a bit weird that you had 'Anag Ram' on your vest.

3 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Very coincidental and in all honesty a bit weird that you had 'Anag Ram' on your vest.

The first time I did it I had “Mike” on the front and “Derby County” printed on the back...! Loads of kind souls shouting “come on Mike” then as I passed “fackin sheep shagger” ha ha

best one I heard was whilst running through the dock lands - bandit country - past a Pub full of Millwall fans and one shouted “fackin stand Derby...typical, they are always running” made me chuckle. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived