London Marathon

Anag Ram

At the age of 54 I have today been allocated a charity place for next year's London marathon.

I am both excited and terrified!

I have run two half marathons and a number of 10ks in the past but the thought of 26 miles seems daunting.

Anyone with experience got any tips?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

At the age of 54 I have today been allocated a charity place for next year's London marathon.

I have run two half marathons and a number of 10ks in the past but the thought of 26 miles seems daunting.

Yeah, don't wear a diving suit.. Seek medical advice and nipple protection.

Oh and good luck.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I did London Marathon a few times (not on the same day). Got some really useful tips from a running magazine but that was years ago and can't remember too many.

From my own experience,

Don't economise on your running shoes, get them at a proper running shop where they can analyse your action. 26 miles is a sodding way longer than 10K and will seek out any abnormalities in your running action.

Never wear any new kit 'for the occasion', make sure it's run in and comfortable.

Avoid a nylon vest; either that or put elastoplast over your nipples. Not a joke. Bleeding nipples are ducking painful for days.

Don't be tempted to run in some stupid eye-catching costume unless, of course, you are a complete prat and a glutton for avoidable punishment.

Don't fall down any stairs. Sounds funny, but it ain't. Take no risks.

Avoid ill people.

Cut back on the alcohol. Your vital organs struggle to cope with breaking down the alsohol as well as the lactic acid.

Lay all your kit out on the bed before you go down to the smoke. Make sure you've forgotten nothing.

Hydrating beforehand is a fine thing, but there's a huge queue for the bogs before the race.

Take a bin liner with a hole cut out of the bottom, invert it and poke your head through the hole. It will keep the wind off while you stand around for the start. It can be ducking cold and/or wet. Conversely it can be very warm. Be prepared for either eventuality, hot weather can be a crippler.

You need to collect your number beforehand, they won't post it. This means going down to the smoke the day before (and risk catching lurgi from the 50,000 other people crammed in the super-heated registration tent, coughing and sneezing). If you belong to a running club, or know someone in a running club, it's not uncommon for a member of the club to go a day or two earlier and collect several in a job lot.

That's most of the logistics.

As for the training, again, there are always plans for all levels of ability in the running mags, but my plan would be to build up the mileage gradually. Assuming you have a 'long run' day, increase the long run by a mile a week. If you're not up to 20 miles by January or mid February you'll be struggling. (Remember, bad winter weather can seriuosly affect you plans). You only get good at what you practise. The marathon (for most of us) is a long slow run,, so that's what you practise. The long run is the fundamental requirement to get you round 26 miles. You don't need speed work.

Always have a very easy run or day off, after your long run. Try to get some sort of a run in most days of the week. Less than 3 runs and you'll just be marking time. You also have to be very selfish to achieve your own ends. Don't run to other people's plans.

Always start slowly, especially on race day. It's so easy to get carried away in the euphoria surrounding you. Also, the first 6 miles are slightly down hill and it is so easy to go off too quick.

Finally, don't be tempted to run the race 'with somebody'. You'll have good spells and bad spells at different times to each other. It's usually a disaster, as my wife found to her cost.

Oh, and I always found dragging the promised sponsorship off people more stressful than running the marathon. Collect it beforehand! You have been warned.

Good Luck

23 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Don’t run the full distance in training 

Sorry mate, but I'd not necessarily agree. I did a 29 miler a couple of weeks before. Whether it's muscle memory I don't know but the brain thinks "This is a doddle, I can do more than that" I'm not saying it's essential, but it worked for me.

5 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

I did London Marathon a few times (not on the same day). Got some really useful tips from a running magazine but that was years ago and can't remember too many.

From my own experience,

Don't economise on your running shoes, get them at a proper running shop where they can analyse your action. 26 miles is a sodding way longer than 10K and will seek out any abnormalities in your running action.

Never wear any new kit 'for the occasion', make sure it's run in and comfortable.

Avoid a nylon vest; either that or put elastoplast over your nipples. Not a joke. Bleeding nipples are ducking painful for days.

Don't be tempted to run in some stupid eye-catching costume unless, of course, you are a complete prat and a glutton for avoidable punishment.

Don't fall down any stairs. Sounds funny, but it ain't. Take no risks.

Avoid ill people.

Lay all your kit out on the bed before you go down to the smoke. Make sure you've forgotten nothing.

Hydrating beforehand is a fine thing, but there's a huge queue for the bogs before the race.

Tale a bin liner with a hole cut out of the bottom, invert it and poke your head through the hole. It will keep the wind off while you stand around for the start. It can be ducking cold and/or wet. Conversely it can be very warm. Be prepared for either eventuality, hot weather can be a crippler.

You need to collect your number beforehand, they won't post it. This means going down to the smoke the day before (and risk catching lurgi from the 50,000 other people crammed in the super-heated registration tent, coughing and sneezing). If you belong to a running club, or know someone in a running club, it's not uncommon for a member of the club to go a day or two earlier and collect several in a job lot.

That's most of the logistics.

As for the training, again, there are always plans for all levels of ability in the running mags, but my plan would be to build up the mileage gradually. Assuming you have a 'long run' day, increase the long run by a mile a week. If you're not up to 20 miles by January or mid February you'll be struggling. (Remember, bad winter weather can seriuosly affect you plans). You only get good at what you practise. The marathon (for most of us) is a long slow run,, so that's what you practise. The long run is the fundamental requirement to get you round 26 miles. You don't need speed work.

Always have a very easy run or day off, after your long run. Try to get some sort of a run in most days of the week. Less than 3 runs and you'll just be marking time. You also have to be very selfish to achieve your own ends. Don't run to other people's plans.

Always start slowly, especially on race day. It's so easy to get carried away in the euphoria surrounding you. Also, the first 6 miles are slightly down hill and it is so easy to go off too quick.

Finally, don't be tempted to run the race 'with somebody'. You'll have good spells and bad spells at different times to each other. It's usually a disaster, as my wife found to her cost.

Oh, and I always found dragging the promised sponsorship off people more stressful than running the marathon. Collect it beforehand! You have been warned.

Good Luck

WOW.

Thank you so much for taking the time for such a long, detailed and helpful post. I really appreciate it.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Just the one tip from me...

Don't forget to link to your charity page!

It makes the more idle amongst us feel a little less guilty/inadequate!

Best o' luck.  

There are glide rub ons for nipples. Much better than plasters. Try gels, sports drinks etc beforehand so you know what works for you

Never run if injured. Stop doing potentially damaging sports like 5 a side

Join a gym so you can maintain fitness on a cross trainer even in bad weather

Build up to it

Spend on socks as well as trainers

Put your name on the back of your running shirt so people can shout encouragement

2 things I tell myself when I'm running...

Don't be like Rocky. So don't let yourself hunch forward when you get tired. Stand up straight!

Floor is lava. When you get tired, don't let your feet rest on the ground, think about snapping that foot back off the ground as soon as hits.

I run fells though not marathons so this may be terrible advice.

Good luck tho! Let us know how you get on ?‍♂️

Before i did my first i got told “Treat 18miles as halfway”

Didn't really understand it until i did my first but getting to 16, 17 etc was relatively easy. It then felt like i needed the same effort to do the last 8 as the first 18 as i started to fade

21-22 was the wall on both of mine after that i started counting down 

strangely even though its is two half marathons it doesnt feel like two halfs 

although others might be different

enjoy it though london is top plenty of sight seeing along the route & people cheering all the way. Similar to the GNR in terms of support 

2 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Didn't really understand it until i did my first but getting to 16, 17 etc was relatively easy. It then felt like i needed the same effort to do the last 8 as the first 18 as i started to fade

I've never done a marathon but wanted to get an idea of it so earlier this year I ran twice around Carsington Water, exactly 16 miles. I honestly felt that I could've easily done another lap and satisfied myself that a marathon would be relatively easy for me.

Its since been explained to me by marathon runners that the final third (the bit I missed out) is basically the whole marathon. It gets tough apparently, very tough.

9 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I've never done a marathon but wanted to get an idea of it so earlier this year I ran twice around Carsington Water, exactly 16 miles. I honestly felt that I could've easily done another lap and satisfied myself that a marathon would be relatively easy for me.

Its since been explained to me by marathon runners that the final third (the bit I missed out) is basically the whole marathon. It gets tough apparently, very tough.

First year i thought id trained properly but realised after it i hadnt so had another go the next year & was a lot better but still faded last few mile

Got up to 22mile in training the second time around. Got speaking to a bloke that had done a couple of ironmans & he said aim for 24. I ignored it ? wish id have listened and gone nearer to the full distance in training. But everyones different

Guarenteed after it you’ll be buzzing & say never again. Then a week later sign up to another for another crack at it ?

9 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Guarenteed after it you’ll be buzzing & say never again.

Yeah I really want to do it. After my first competitive fell run I felt like i'd been in a car accident for 3 days after - but it's a brilliant feeling.

Everybody has got it all covered really.

You want to spend at least 2 nights down there and book as early as you can as prices go up/ hotels get booked up quick.

Try not to set your heart on a time for the first one. Even if you take it easy you will hit the wall at some point. Just try to take it all in.

You will have the time of your life. It was one of my fondest memories.

Best of luck!

Just to add, all the above posts are full of genuine, pertinant, helpful comments. The biggest fear is hitting the wall. This is usually caused by going off too fast. I have to say, from personal experience, you'll struggle to start off too fast at London. The last one I did was 2000, and it was so congested I didn't get into my stride til 21 miles, so I did a very disappointing time. London is definitely not a course for a P.B (unless it's your 1st, of course!)

Long runs. I found in training, that the last mile was a struggle. The next long run would be a mile longer, and the last mile was always a struggle, and so on. You get my drift? That's why I think it's important to make sure the last long run before the event (preferably 2 weeks before) should be well over 20 miles.

I can't remember the science behind it, but the average human body will start running out of its normal fuel at about 17 miles, after which, other resources are called into play. So if you can eke out that 1st resource a bit longer (steadier running) the other resouces get a chance to kick in. Running more than 20 miles a few times starts conditioning the body to adapt more efficiently. At least, that's the theory.

7 hours ago, Smyth_18 said:

Everybody has got it all covered really.

You want to spend at least 2 nights down there and book as early as you can as prices go up/ hotels get booked up quick.

Try not to set your heart on a time for the first one. Even if you take it easy you will hit the wall at some point. Just try to take it all in.

You will have the time of your life. It was one of my fondest memories.

Best of luck!

Thanks. Luckily we booked a hotel for the Saturday and Sunday when I first applied so that sorted. 

Archived