Harry Wilson

Derbados

On 07/12/2018 at 14:44, KCG said:

I must have chosen the wrong games to watch Mount because I can only remember him playing well against Man Utd. 

Just came across this absolute pearler. I'm gonna guess you're not really a Derby fan at all. Just here as a wum. If not, maybe you might want to start watching games with your eyes open as it tends to improve the viewing experience and can lead to somewhat more informed opinions.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Just came across this absolute pearler. I'm gonna guess you're not really a Derby fan at all. Just here as a wum. If not, maybe you might want to start watching games with your eyes open as it tends to improve the viewing experience and can lead to somewhat more informed opinions.

I can't think of too many games where Wilson has stood out this season.

He looked good in our mini purple patch (West Brom, Man United, Chelsea) and has obviously hit some wonderful strikes but I don't think his general all round play has been outstanding.

Defensively he is very weak and he often gives the ball away in positions that put us in trouble.

There's no doubt he does have talent but I think his goals have massively papered over the deficiencies in his game.

27 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

The only way we've got promoted out of this league since before Euro 96 is to play defensive football and have someone who can score outside the box (Giles Barnes).

Let revert back to Rowettball for 2019 and get Wilson, Mount and Lawerence shooting from anywhere!

Let’s not!

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

He looked good in our mini purple patch (West Brom, Man United, Chelsea) and has obviously hit some wonderful strikes but I don't think his general all round play has been outstanding.

Defensively he is very weak and he often gives the ball away in positions that put us in trouble.

There's no doubt he does have talent but I think his goals have massively papered over the deficiencies in his game.

That's all well and good but the post I replied to was discussing Mason Mount! 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah, all 10 of them. Really not sure what you expect to be honest. Messi? You do know we're in the Championship, right? If he could score the goals he has, was strong on and off the ball and didn't give the ball away then he wouldn't be here in the first place. Christ knows what your observations are of on the rest of the side if you feel Harry's one of the weaker links.

16 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Yeah, all 10 of them. Really not sure what you expect to be honest. Messi? You do know we're in the Championship, right? If he could score the goals he has, was strong on and off the ball and didn't give the ball away then he wouldn't be here in the first place. Christ knows what your observations are of on the rest of the side if you feel Harry's one of the weaker links.

I didn't say he was one of the weaker links did I?

It's certainly no coincidence that a lot of goals that we concede come from our right hand side due to the lack of protection that he offers Bogle.

Anyway, it's clear you are completely unwilling to ever even consider discussing any negatives at all in any of our players in any game ever so provably better that we just leave it there.

On 27/12/2018 at 13:43, Ambitious said:

Wilson’s goals have masked his general all round performances. He’s a good player with a bright future, don’t get me wrong, but as with many young players he needs to focus on staying in the game and making himself an option. He seems to run behind opposition players and perhaps wants that killer ball rather than creating angles and options for the build up play. Mount offers more in that respect, but with his free kicks he’s potentially a match winner at all times. If Martin was playing upfront he would probably be on twice the amount as he knew how to win a free kick in and around the box. I agree playing outwide doesn’t seem to suit him. 

I agree, the rest of his game is streaks away from where it needs to be to play for Liverpool, especially out wide. He's definitely a central attacking midfielder in my mind.

He wont get the sort of space to shoot in the PL that he gets with us. Not as regularly, at least. If you could sub him on for every FK, and then take him off, maybe it would be a different matter.

That being said, in this league, with us, he basically guarantees a goal at a decent rate - so the areas of his game that are further behind can be forgiven quite easily - and it definitely puts him in the discussion for our best player this season.

But I'm not too afraid of the loan ending like some are, I don't think we'd get much worse swapping him out for Duane Holmes, if at all. 

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's certainly no coincidence that a lot of goals that we concede come from our right hand side due to the lack of protection that he offers Bogle.

Anyway, it's clear you are completely unwilling to ever even consider discussing any negatives at all in any of our players in any game ever so provably better that we just leave it there.

Ok mate. Great chat. Just for reference.... ?

mm.jpg

harry-wilson-derby.jpg

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Cheers pal. Just for reference the title of this thread....HARRY WILSON ?

...and the quote referenced Mason Mount so your point it what? Don't worry mate. It's pretty clear you won't even consider reading a post before responding about a completely different player so it's probably best we just leave it there 

On 27/12/2018 at 16:01, LFC Fan said:

He won't be recalled. There are so many players ahead of him in the pecking order it would take a glut of injuries for him to even get game time from the bench.

His end product has always stood out. There has always been questions about how robust he is. He picked up quite a few injuries while in our academy and I think he even missed a whole season. I'm really glad he ended up at Derby and backed him to hit 20 league goals if he could start 40 league games but maybe that's a little ambitious. He's always been good at drifting into the box and finishing off moves but he doesn't seem to be picking up many of those goals for Derby. I thought he'd get 5-10 tap-ins.

That's interesting. The way we play we don't get many runners ahead of the strikers. His first goal for us (I think, the one versus Brentford?) he ran from box to box to start and finish a move with what I believe the FIFA-playing youngsters call a "sweaty". It was a great move and great goal. But the rest have generally been hit from the edge or outside the area.

I enjoy watching him play. Got great technique. As others have said, he has a way to go to become a PL player but he can, whether it be with Liverpool or elsewhere. He needs to be more consistent in his impact in games (he can drift in an out), and build himself up a bit more.

We said the same with a young Will Hughes, and once he bulked up a bit added another dimension to his game; now he's a PL regular and deservedly so. 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I agree, the rest of his game is streaks away from where it needs to be to play for Liverpool, especially out wide. He's definitely a central attacking midfielder in my mind.

He wont get the sort of space to shoot in the PL that he gets with us. Not as regularly, at least. If you could sub him on for every FK, and then take him off, maybe it would be a different matter.

That being said, in this league, with us, he basically guarantees a goal at a decent rate - so the areas of his game that are further behind can be forgiven quite easily - and it definitely puts him in the discussion for our best player this season.

But I'm not too afraid of the loan ending like some are, I don't think we'd get much worse swapping him out for Duane Holmes, if at all. 

His game is going to be a bit away from where he needs to be at Liverpool, that’s why he is here.

Holmes is 24 and has only scored 11 goals in his whole career, he has looked good in a cameo appearance and did well against Southampton, I have seen nothing from him though that would indicate he is capable of getting or generating the number of goals that Wilson has, and therefore would agree with the others that he would be a great loss should he be recalled.

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Holmes is a good player, however how many goals has he scored? and where would we be without Harry's goals?

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Bogle is a poor defender, no matter whos infront of him we leak goals. if he could stop a cross that would go along way.

32 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

His game is going to be a bit away from where he needs to be at Liverpool, that’s why he is here.

Holmes is 24 and has only scored 11 goals in his whole career, he has looked good in a cameo appearance and did well against Southampton, I have seen nothing from him though that would indicate he is capable of getting or generating the number of goals that Wilson has, and therefore would agree with the others that he would be a great loss should he be recalled.

He would not score the same goals, but other aspects of his play are basically universally better, as such the team would improve in those areas which would, imo, balance out against the individual replacing Wilson not scoring the same goals. Which is why I don't believe we'd get worse.

Regardless though, I am not talking about him being recalled this month - I don't think there's a chance of that happening, I mean people losing their minds at the idea of us not getting promoted this year because we wont have Wilson, Mount and Tomori next year

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

I think we all agree that Wilson returning to Liverpool would be a massive loss but, nobody is irreplaceable.

with regard to Holmes, you don't have to be a prolific goal scorer to be a key/influential player (I don't think the messiah Will Hughes scored that many for us). I'm assuming assists are calculated as the final pass to the person who ultimately scored the goal. It's not always the final pass that is the most important in a passage of play so, this stat can also be misleading.

I am greatly impressed  with Holmes even if he personally doesn't score loads or technically provide an asissy.

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

Bogle is a poor defender, no matter whos infront of him we leak goals. if he could stop a cross that would go along way.

He's not a poor defender, he's just growing that side of his game. He used to be a winger so it's understandable his ball control and dribbling are superior to most full backs but at 18, he's not going to be the perfect player. As others have said, when Wilson hardly offers any cover, stopping crosses suddenly becomes the hardest task in his position, that doesn't make him ''poor'' and I actually think his defensive capabilities have come a long way in the last 10 games against tough opposition where we've needed to grind out certain results.

He's kept Wisdom out of the side all season, a ''poor defender'' categorically couldn't do that...

Archived