v Stoke City (A) Match Thread

Comrade 86

2 minutes ago, Edtheram said:

Why didn’t Frank learn from the Leeds, Bolton, Rotherham, Villa games? People saying Frank will learn. Surely he’s learnt how bad we are when we play below 80%. 4-3-3 doesn’t have to be played every game. Got to a 2 up top on Saturday and see how Waghorn and Marriott play together 

Are you one of them "gerrit 442, cross it, bang, sorted" guys? Just scrap the system that everyone knows everyones roles both with and without the ball to stick two blokes up front because two blokes are more likely to score than one? 

I don't think he sent them out to play at 80%. 

The only thing those games had in common is that we didn't win.  

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Are you one of them "gerrit 442, cross it, bang, sorted" guys? Just scrap the system that everyone knows everyones roles both with and without the ball to stick two blokes up front because two blokes are more likely to score than one? 

I don't think he sent them out to play at 80%. 

The only thing those games had in common is that we didn't win.  

442 doesn't have to be played in a primitive and hoof and hope way, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid have had success with it in recent seasons with technical players playing, Huddlestone wouldn't suit it well but I think it is worth a try as Waghorn is more of  a striker than a winger and I think he could form a good partnership with Marriott.

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I don’t get the Malone hate, yes he may get the blame for not stopping Ince getting to the ball first, but I think he did well going forward and got some good crosses in.

I think people just like Fozzy more becuase he is one of the old favourites who have been at the club for years, but for me Forsyth would have done no better defensively and worse offensively.

For all the unnecessary hatred of Rowett, Stoke were the better team tonight; defended better, looked more threatening going forward and did a great number on us. Yes, we played into their hands by trying to force everything through the middle and defending like schoolboys, but it never looked like they had a man less. 

I imagine he'll be enjoying a glass of something decent tonight and fair play to him. 

Evening all, 

stoke fan in peace however have to highlight few comical points. I always find it interesting reading comments and how bias some fans are. Me included however you were just as dirty as us tonight and the sending off was a correct decision but it was hardly intentional. I would laugh that challenge off as would most of us on a pitch but it was dangerous so fully agree with decision. Secondly Luis Suarez would be proud of that bite tonight and i am sure he will receive a nice ban for that! 

I don’t think Rowett is by any means doing a good job thus far however Wood, Clucas, Ince are decent championship signings and we have been rather unlucky so far this season but lot more to improve on and we are putting a decent run together now. I do believe GR has a lot to learn and I don’t agree with his tactics in some games but I don’t think he’s as bad as half of you are making out. Got you lot to the play offs with out spending a lot of money last season didn’t he not!? 

We generally dominate possession but like you the defence has cost us numorous times this season. Thought Ince had a field day and the young lad at RB was a brave call to make by Lampard. I believe Lampard will be a good manager one day with experience and doing lot better than I expected. 

Anyway good luck for rest of season and look forward to the away leg. 

PS keep the snakes at home eh lads ?

7 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

442 doesn't have to be played in a primitive and hoof and hope way, Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid have had success with it in recent seasons with technical players playing, Huddlestone wouldn't suit it well but I think it is worth a try as Waghorn is more of  a striker than a winger and I think he could form a good partnership with Marriott.

No it doesn't. But it doesn't come with any promises either. 

I don't see how the solution is to ask Mount, Wilson, Lawrence to play deeper, ask one of them to play in a 2 where more defensive work will be needed individually now they're a man less. 

All after the promising signs just because we lost? 

Abandon system, change roles, get outnumbered in the middle more often, expose Huddlestone's lack of mobility by now asking him to do more going forward.

I think Lampard has a good reason for playing 3 in the middle.

19 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I don’t get the Malone hate, yes he may get the blame for not stopping Ince getting to the ball first, but I think he did well going forward and got some good crosses in.

I dont think he’s done bad since he’s been here. Looks a decent championship standard left back so judging on what ive seen i think he’s been alright so far 

however i have a mate thats a Huddersfield Town fan that cant stand him. Said he’s the only player he’s seen thats kicked the ball into his own face not once but twice in a game. Also reckoned he was bad for the dressing room at Huddersfield. Said he thinks he’s better than what he is & caused a bit of trouble at Town but isn't good enough to be a trouble causer.

But from what ive seen he looks alright & think my mates view on him is a bit bias

He likes Holmes though reckons he’s got something different 

24 minutes ago, Potter7648 said:

Evening all, 

stoke fan in peace however have to highlight few comical points. I always find it interesting reading comments and how bias some fans are. Me included however you were just as dirty as us tonight and the sending off was a correct decision but it was hardly intentional. I would laugh that challenge off as would most of us on a pitch but it was dangerous so fully agree with decision. Secondly Luis Suarez would be proud of that bite tonight and i am sure he will receive a nice ban for that! 

I don’t think Rowett is by any means doing a good job thus far however Wood, Clucas, Ince are decent championship signings and we have been rather unlucky so far this season but lot more to improve on and we are putting a decent run together now. I do believe GR has a lot to learn and I don’t agree with his tactics in some games but I don’t think he’s as bad as half of you are making out. Got you lot to the play offs with out spending a lot of money last season didn’t he not!? 

We generally dominate possession but like you the defence has cost us numorous times this season. Thought Ince had a field day and the young lad at RB was a brave call to make by Lampard. I believe Lampard will be a good manager one day with experience and doing lot better than I expected. 

Anyway good luck for rest of season and look forward to the away leg. 

PS keep the snakes at home eh lads ?

Some fantastic dexterity from Johnson to give himself a hickey?

16 minutes ago, Alpha said:

No it doesn't. But it doesn't come with any promises either. 

I don't see how the solution is to ask Mount, Wilson, Lawrence to play deeper, ask one of them to play in a 2 where more defensive work will be needed individually now they're a man less. 

All after the promising signs just because we lost? 

Abandon system, change roles, get outnumbered in the middle more often, expose Huddlestone's lack of mobility by now asking him to do more going forward.

I think Lampard has a good reason for playing 3 in the middle.

I agree it's not perfect for the players we have, but as a plan B for when we are loosing a game it is worth a try.

Just got back in,gutted we loss to those lot, Stoke is full of poo, there fans booing a player who is injured is a disgrace, but we played into there hands tonight, we should have played our game and not get sucked into a scrap, which Stoke wanted, anyway so glad we have Frank as our manager and not that slimey toad Rowett, Stoke and Rowett are a match made in hell, they suit each other, no class, they are a poor excuse of a city and the worst class of human beings I have witnessed for a long time, thank I am back in Derby.

I think we are doing OK - two defeats in our last 10 league games is hardly a cause for panic stations.

In that time, we have showed signs of real promise but equally we have showed signs of vulnerability.

I think we are where we deserve to be - in the mix but just shy of the top two. We are stylish and dangerous enough to win games and beat anyone on our day, but not solid and organised enough to grind out results in the style of Boro, shall we say. If we have an off night, we are unlikely to scrap for a draw, so this means we can lose to anyone too.

Despite their mid table position, Stoke still possess some quality and tonight was always going to be an awkward game in the circumstances. One we might expect to win given Stoke’s poor start to the season, but one we could very easily lose if we had an off night and Stoke punished us. So it proved.

The defence is the only real issue for me. We don’t keep clean sheets. We don’t have a consistent back 5. We have lost that sense of solidity. But it’s a trade off isn’t it? Would you rather have a tighter defence and a less fluid midfield and the football suffers?

There is plenty for Frank to work on, but probably he hasn’t been helped lately by our injury crisis.

Forsyth and Bennett are out with long term injuries. Bryson, Mount and Davies are all coming back from injury. So Frank has had to do a lot of chopping and changing from game to game. It was bound to have an effect.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

We've got a bit of a full back problem. Bogle is good for his age and shows lots of promise but is he at the level we need? Not for me. I think he will be but his form at the minute has him exposed. Wisdom isn't very good imo. Malone, all limbs and instinct. Again he's ok. But with both full backs being a touch dodgy it's not really a great look. When one isn't all over the place the other is. 

Central midfield. I thought Frank was a touch negative tonight by including Johnson and Davies. Huddlestone is a level above Johnson and Bryson. He has his stinkers but they can't do what he can. Mount relies so much on pressure play in the final third that he spends too long admiring Bryson doing completely counter productive passing. Holmes can be dodgy off the ball. Wilson looks the best bet in there. 

I still think Waghorn suits the team best whether his individual performances have earned his place or not. 

Tonight the first half... Davies too slow, Johnson too slow, Bryson too slow and looked like he'd been drugged. 

Second half, I thought Huddlestone showed why he should have started and he wasn't even at his best. He just splits the game better. Bryson just killed our play. Slow and dawdling. Passing safe and negative. He might as well have been a brick wall for the CB's and Co to bounce it off. 

But it's the full backs. Everywhere we have players to work it's just finding how they slot together. But the full backs let so many crosses in and even the wingers are guilty off ball watching. Bogle would be fine if we had a solid LB. Malone would be fine if we had a solid RB. But they get us in such a mess. Whether responsible for goals or not is not entirely relevant. They hand encouragement over to the opposition and put pressure on themselves. 

I don't see how Tomori isn't first choice CB. If you're Stoke then sure, I get it. But for us we need his pace when we get countered and we need his passing. 

Disappointed with Lampard for the first time this season. Looked like a reactive team selection. 

I don't know Bryson's pass completion but it should be 100% considering the speed and direction he played them at. There's just no point. That's what I expect from him when he's deep. He picked it up in good positions plenty of times. He didn't look ready for the game 

Fed up of you talking sense.

One thing really apparent for me second half with Bogle was a complete reluctance to run down the wing with the ball,played in front of him. Everything was too feet and then cut back inside. He made one cross I can remember which went over everyone.

Whilst he is in the team, we will struggle. Now even worse, with the Davies injury, Tomori will be left at centre back. Wisdom is even worse so we are well and truly stuffed until Jan.

Archived