bet365 the world has gone mad

ronnieronalde

7 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

How many CEO's of tobacco firms made 265 million in wages last year?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/259204/leading-10-tobacco-companies-worldwide-based-on-net-sales/

How many CEO's of alcohol companies paid themselves 265 million last year?

http://www.worldstopexports.com/major-export-companies-alcoholic-beverages/

hmmm

You’re having a bubble now. 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

So if the CEO of a car company (who gets his big bonus at the end of every year) was to look at the stats of how many people are killed each year by vehicles, would you expect him to put out a campaign to stop people buying his cars?

Cars do not kill people.  Circumstances such as weather, alcohol, drugs, speed, using mobile phones, poor maintenance etc. cause people to have RTC's, some end in death.  The car industry and government has every year, since the 60's (MOT), 80's (seatbelts, wearing of) etc. have looked to improve car safety.

the betting aspect doesn't really bother me. I suspect that much of this betting activity is young people with disposable income just having a regular flutter, and ultimately people have to take personal responsibility for their own gambling.

What i am uncomfortable with is any individual making that sort of money - whether its her or mel or chairman of Leicester city or whoever. 

It doesn't seem like a good thing for society or the economy to have such a concentration of wealth. 

We could built 2 brand new hospitals, 20 new secondary schools or 50 brand new primary schools each year with that money.

It would take a lot of personal spending to get that money to trickle back through the economy. 

12 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

How many CEO's of tobacco firms made 265 million in wages last year?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/259204/leading-10-tobacco-companies-worldwide-based-on-net-sales/

How many CEO's of alcohol companies paid themselves 265 million last year?

http://www.worldstopexports.com/major-export-companies-alcoholic-beverages/

hmmm

Vast majority of these are public companies which run under a completely different structure limiting the pay of a CEO/chairman compared to a privately held company.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

You’re having a bubble now. 

???

I'm not having a bubble, i just think you are ignoring my point.

How many times can I say it's the amount of money she pays herself which is my issue, the rest is me replying to silly comments like how many people does smoking kill.

irrelevant and diverting from the main point,

I posted those links to show a comparison of sales/turnover/ profit across the two industries you're comparing gambling to.. 

I could also add the automotive sector figures if you want?

12 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Vast majority of these are public companies which run under a completely different structure limiting the pay of a CEO/chairman compared to a privately held company.

Good point well put and something I "get".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidprosser/2014/04/15/britains-seven-biggest-family-owned-businesses/#5072a5c56aec

britains seven biggest privately held companies. 

Any guesses how many of their CEO's paid themselves 265 million? ?

1 hour ago, ronnieronalde said:

How many times can I say it's the amount of money she pays herself which is my issue

Earns herself. Your issue is envy. The fact that she earns her money from a morally dubious industry doesn't change that.

Companies will not self regulate because that just gives their competitors an edge. The government would need to get involved, but they'd have a hard time justifying it considering we currently run a state franchised national lottery.

9 minutes ago, Anon said:

Earns herself. Your issue is envy. The fact that she earns her money from a morally dubious industry doesn't change that.

Companies will not self regulate because that just gives their competitors an edge. The government would need to get involved, but they'd have a hard time justifying it considering we currently run a state franchised national lottery.

My issue is envy?? you cheeky so and so.

You don't know me at all, don't jump to cheap and nasty conclusions. It has nothing to do with envy at all. 

You've made it clear where your moral compass lies, you're entitled to your opinion. We disagree so much there's no point carrying on the discussion with each other.

If we were in a pub and you shared that opinion of me I'd get up and walk away.

I'm doing that here.

14 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

You don't know me at all, don't jump to cheap and nasty conclusions. It has nothing to do with envy at all. 

You've made it clear where your moral compass lies, you're entitled to your opinion. We disagree so much there's no point carrying on the discussion with each other.

If we were in a pub and you shared that opinion of me I'd get up and walk away.

I'm doing that here.

I bet you didn't GAMBLE on so many opposing views.

Seriously I do get where you are coming from but like I said, people choose to gamble.

The whole article is worth a read if you can be arsed.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/31/uk-gambling-industry-takes-14bn-year-punters

A study by the charity GambleAware and the thinktank Institute for Public Policy Research found that problem gambling could be costing the UK economy up to £1.2bn a year.

How much do they pay in corporation tax while she takes home her 250 million?

2 hours ago, McRamFan said:

Gambling is an addiction, human nature has, by varing degrees, an addictive nature.  We all have a vice, we all have a craving that needs 'the hit', be that alcohol, nicotine, sugar or gambling.

Some addictive vices are legal, such as tobacco/sugar, because the rich and well connected owned the land, or just took it, and enslaved Africans to farm it. Online/off line gambling is just the same beast in different clothing, lures people in and uses mental stimulants to trap people in. 

It is no different to taking your money and burn it.  The system wins all the time, her wages prove that.

The ironic thing is you could not set this business up in the USA!

That’s changing.....

Guilty as charged.

I almost didn't write that, but I couldn't think of a nicer way to put it and I think it's true. If your issue, as you've stated, is the amount of money she gets then I think I've drawn a perfectly logical conclusion. The ethics of the scenario would remain the same if she took a salary of 0. I'm envious of her too by the way. I don't think being envious of someone is a slur.

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

Guilty as charged.

I almost didn't write that, but I couldn't think of a nicer way to put it and I think it's true. If your issue, as you've stated, is the amount of money she gets then I think I've drawn a perfectly logical conclusion. The ethics of the scenario would remain the same if she took a salary of 0. I'm envious of her too by the way. I don't think being envious of someone is a slur.

You're wrong.

My "issue" is that she doesn't need that much money. She can't possibly.

I'm not that kind of person. I've lived a millionaires lifestyle. I've lived a paupers lifestyle and I've lived a comfortably well off in between lifestyle, I've got or at some point I've had everything I need.

I'm not motivated at all by money. Other than the obvious, you can do more good if you have money than if you don't. Harsh but reality.

I'd rather lift those who need lifting than get rich or materially wealthy again myself. I don't and can't agree that the gap between the have's and the have not's needs to be quite so big.

Big is ok, humongous is a bit sickening.

Nothing against gambling either as long as it's recreational. I've made 14k profit playing poker( (that's profit, you can track it on sharkscope) , including winning a 6 grand first place in a 20k tournament.  I stopped when I realised I could give a bloke sitting in a shop doorway the £10 or £20 I was going to pay to register in another tournament and give him a huge short term boost.

People's priorities are a bit of a mess in some cases. Not all but some.

I have a bit of an issue with gambling, in that it doesn't really create anything. I know there's plenty of industries where you could argue nothing gets created, but that 200m got made from other people's bad judgement - not from any entrepreneurship or clever actions. If a factory is efficient you take some raw materials and at the end of it convert them into something worth more than the sum of the parts. Fair play to Apple, they took an idea, built some second rate electronics and now sell it for a grand a time because that's what the mugs who buy it think it's value is. Gambling is just separating money from people whose judgement at predicting events is less successful than other people's judgement.

And 200m is obscene amounts of money - it's hard not to agree with that, I hope. You may feel it reasonable to pay one person figures like that, but morally as Ronnie says, it's a sum that can't possibly be seen as doing a good thing. Most people couldn't begin to comprehend a figure of money that high.

How much do they pay in corporation tax while she takes home her 250 million?

How much Tax has she paid on that £250m? I don't know. I just know that income tax rates are a lot higher than corporation tax.

2 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

How much Tax has she paid on that £250m? I don't know. I just know that income tax rates are a lot higher than corporation tax.

Low wages, high dividends.  I’m told that’s how these buggers get around it.

Grrrrrr.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

If she's not finding loopholes, I think top whack is 45%. It;s a lot and weirdly coming from me I think it's too high.

I don't think the government should ever take more than a third. BUT they should take a third and not let people shirk. If they took a third off everyone (above an agreed minimum no tax paid income) they'd have a lot more wedge to play with than letting a lot of the super rich get away with murder.

Archived