Does Lampard need to strengthen the squad in January?

David

January Transfer Window  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

we have one out on loan. 

1 goal and 1 assist in his last 21 Championship appearances, although 10 of them have been from the bench.

If we were looking at anyone else with these stats, and someone who had failed to hold down a starting place in either of Reading or Hull teams, I wonder what the reaction would be? 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

1 goal and 1 assist in his last 21 Championship appearances, although 10 of them have been from the bench.

If we were looking at anyone else with these stats, and someone who had failed to hold down a starting place in either of Reading or Hull teams, I wonder what the reaction would be? 

As a plan B he wouldn't be bad to bring off the bench, and with our quality players in attack he would work well. I am not too fussed if he doesn't play for us again even though he has been great for us in the past I don't think he could hit his peak form. However ,as an option as for a 2nd choice striker at this level you won't get much better as the best players won't sit on our bench, the fact he didn't even get a look in during pre season and a doubtful injury suggest to me he won't play for us again.

1 hour ago, DcfcJB said:

Can't sit back this window, last year we were content with the squad we had and it cost us as the rest of the top six added quality to kick on looking at afobe/grabban/mitrovic to name but a few. We've had a really good start but we cant watch others strengthen and not add real quality our selfs. I'd be hoping we can sign another top striker on loan of similar quality to get goals in tight games - January for me isn't about thinking about future prospects... they need to come in and make an impact from day one. Not a very plausible list but strikers like;

Sharp - Would pay over the odds for someone of his age but you know he will score 

Bonatini - only 7 apps no goals this season but very good last year in the championship

Jannson - at spurs no apps this season 

Just don't let others progress whilst we stay the same would be the lesson learned from last Jan.

Solanke would be top of my list for the striker department, as we could get him on a 6 month loan and he would know some of the players in our squad already such as Wilson, probably Mount and Tomori from the England set up as well. 

1 hour ago, DcfcJB said:

Can't sit back this window, last year we were content with the squad we had and it cost us as the rest of the top six added quality to kick on looking at afobe/grabban/mitrovic to name but a few. We've had a really good start but we cant watch others strengthen and not add real quality our selfs. I'd be hoping we can sign another top striker on loan of similar quality to get goals in tight games - January for me isn't about thinking about future prospects... they need to come in and make an impact from day one. Not a very plausible list but strikers like;

Sharp - Would pay over the odds for someone of his age but you know he will score 

Bonatini - only 7 apps no goals this season but very good last year in the championship

Jannson - at spurs no apps this season 

Just don't let others progress whilst we stay the same would be the lesson learned from last Jan.

Why strikers with Marriott banging them in at the moment? Granted we don’t know what the situation will be in January but at the moment, while I Can understand the calls for competetition none of those are going to want to sit on our bench, which they will be unless Marriott falls off. I’d say our equivalent to a mitrovic would be a Hughes type centre mid to link it all together... foden or bannan or someone of that ilk would have that sort of an impact on our team.

Centre midfield for me is the priority - box to box type who can put their foot in on occasion, but also drive forward with the ball. Just think we can potentially be a bit lightweight in that department and its the biggest risk area for a couple of injuries de-railing our season.

after that I’d say left back, given 2 of the four are injured and Lowe’s injury record doesn’t inspire confidence if he comes back in Jan and isn’t extended. Maybe an older less offensive player, for those matches when you know we’ll be under the cosh? Though bringing another LB in would surely mean we’d need to somehow offload two of the current group. 5 LBs would be a bit crazy! 

After that, we could improve in any other area, but that would be an improvement as opposed to a necessary purchase.  

I think recruitment depends partly on the injury situation and partly on results over Christmas. Obviously only having one fit left back is a risk and Lowe may have to be recalled. Our fixtures over the Christmas/New Year period are brutal with Sheffield United away, Norwich away, Middlesbrough at home and Leeds United away. Frank has pointed out the we don't get another international break until March, which means a lot of games without time for injured players to recover.He might have to get on the phone to Chelsea to get some new faces on loan.

20 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Can’t believe so many have Malone and Lowe as our LBs. Lowe is miles off being as effective as Forsyth.

Malone and Lowe are the two fit left backs on the books. Olsen is out for the season and I am not sure when his contract expires. Forsyth is out for a lengthy spell and has recently signed a new contract. Frank has been asked to reduce the wage bill so what does he do? Recall lowe on 1 January, get a loanee in until the end of the season or make a further permanent signing?

On 23/11/2018 at 10:04, FindernRam said:

Interesting how divided our collective views are. This means our democratic decision is to replace the whole team, or, as there is no clear majority replace none!

I voted exactly this, except GC, I honestly think that Carson is more than adequate even for the Prem. However, as Arthur Cox said "as soon as I've signed a player I'm looking for his replacement". There isn't one player who couldn't be improved upon in any team in the world apart from Messi and the other few super elite. Even these players will need to be replaced with time. So yes, we need to look to improve on every position, but if it isn't now and we avoid injuries throughout the season then bringing back Lowe and possibly Tomas should be sufficient to be in the mix.

Bar 3 or 4 more mid to long term injuries I wouldn't bother. 

Lowe can come back in Jan to cover Malone. 

People crying out for a right back because Wisdom wasn't up to speed on Saturday needn't worry, both him & Bogle are fine.

Bar Ledley we're fully stocked in midfield and at the moment we've got 7-6 attackers to cover 3 positions.

Unless a deal comes up where we could get in a player of real quality for peanuts, why rock the boat and bloat the squad anymore.

4 hours ago, Duracell said:

Can’t believe so many have Malone and Lowe as our LBs. Lowe is miles off being as effective as Forsyth.

Even though forsyth is on crutches?

8 hours ago, Duracell said:

Forsyth is the better defender - no question- and our leading assist maker currently but we have malone lowe and Olson on the books and despite injuries hopefully we can manage the season through

25 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Forsyth is the better defender - no question- and our leading assist maker currently but we have malone lowe and Olson on the books and despite injuries hopefully we can manage the season through

Can't remember whether Bradley Johnson has played LB for us in the past (maybe as sub). If so how well did he do? Not sure Malone is defensively sound enough for what we need - at least until January when I expect Lowe to return. Malone seems better suited to playing in a back 5

Rams will not be going anywhere before :

- we have a stronger, more physical, bigger and stronger midfield

- full backs who can stop a cross

Doesnt matter how many goals we score, how great the football is

Until there are resolved we will not be going anywhere upwards

Its nothing new ! 

Archived