RamsTV meets Colin Todd.

Rev

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best player I ever saw, bar none, and at 70 he looks as if he could outplay most of today's overpaid pampered Premiership Prima Donnas.

He still has that air of modest genius which marked him out as an exceptional character on and off the pitch.

Great to hear him talk so warmly about Clough, Taylor, and the people and city of Derby.

Many thanks to both Colins!

Has there ever been a better exponent of a footballer tracking back at top speed and then tackling and taking the ball off an opponent and gliding back to a standing position and sending a pass forward all in one "glide-about" motion...apart from maybe Sir Bobby Moore versus Pele? 

34 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Has there ever been a better exponent of a footballer tracking back at top speed and then tackling and taking the ball off an opponent and gliding back to a standing position and sending a pass forward all in one "glide-about" motion...apart from maybe Sir Bobby Moore versus Pele? 

We're you there last night when he was talking about the art of tackling? Good stuff! 

I am saving this interview for when part two comes online then I will find a quiet corner and savour together.

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Toddy was probably as close as you get to Sir Bobby. World class player in any era but was slightly unfortunate that during his early career Franz Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore were at their peak.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

We're you there last night when he was talking about the art of tackling? Good stuff! 

I am saving this interview for when part two comes online then I will find a quiet corner and savour together.

No @angieram I missed the event altogether; didn't see it advertised otherwise I'd have gone. What a real crop of world class talent we had at Derby County back in the 60's and 70's. Great, great footballers. 

On 21/11/2018 at 23:02, steve brummie said:

The best player I ever saw, bar none, and at 70 he looks as if he could outplay most of today's overpaid pampered Premiership Prima Donnas.

He still has that air of modest genius which marked him out as an exceptional character on and off the pitch.

Great to hear him talk so warmly about Clough, Taylor, and the people and city of Derby.

Many thanks to both Colins!

100% agree with Charlie George a close 2nd.

Very interesting. A great, great player, and had a ;lot more success in management than I thought he had. But it is also interesting that he made no mention of his time at Derby with Jim Smith, or his eventual takeover from Jim, although when he did take over from the Bald Eagle, it didn't go very well for him, or the club.

I wish we could play him in our defence today!

For someone with nearly 70 years on the clock these Rams TV videos are brilliant. Colin Todd never sought the limelight but just delivered fantastically. As he said in part one, 2 Championships, 30+ England caps and PFA player of the year is some record.

But why oh why does a random video start playing 2/3rds of the way through that needed shutting down? Sort out the website!!

On 22 November 2018 at 19:16, King Kevin said:

McFarland and Todd the greatest centre back pairing I have ever seen .

But he never asked him about it. Or what it was like replacing dave mackay. 

Not a great interview

On 08/12/2018 at 10:49, RamNut said:

But he never asked him about it. Or what it was like replacing dave mackay. 

Not a great interview

But that is Colin Gibson for you, and probably why he got the Rams TV job.  He has all the ferocity of a Chihuahua with all its teeth pulled. At RD he never asked the tough questions, and instead of throwing brick-ends, he gently tossed softballs at his candidate, and he is still doing it. I noticed that Gibbo didn't ask about Todd's takeover from the Bald Eagle, and his disastrous tenure which followed. I was rather disappointed, because I wanted to here Toddy's take on the situation. It seemed that he had approached the Board behind Jim's back because Jim had gone all safety-first, trying not to lose once Stevie Mac had gone to Manure, and the Rams seemed to have gone into an aimless drift to nowhere. It was clear that the squad didn't want to play for Todd, hence my suspicions of the back-door takeover.

6 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

But that is Colin Gibson for you, and probably why he got the Rams TV job.  He has all the ferocity of a Chihuahua with all its teeth pulled. At RD he never asked the tough questions, and instead of throwing brick-ends, he gently tossed softballs at his candidate, and he is still doing it. I noticed that Gibbo didn't ask about Todd's takeover from the Bald Eagle, and his disastrous tenure which followed. I was rather disappointed, because I wanted to here Toddy's take on the situation. It seemed that he had approached the Board behind Jim's back because Jim had gone all safety-first, trying not to lose once Stevie Mac had gone to Manure, and the Rams seemed to have gone into an aimless drift to nowhere. It was clear that the squad didn't want to play for Todd, hence my suspicions of the back-door takeover.

I suspect toddy may have stated in advance that he wouldn't talk about that.

His account of what happened to roy mac at bolton seemed somewhat dubious though. He stated that he appointed roy but that it didn't work out for him. Really? My recollection was that both were interviewed for the managers job, and the outcome was that they were appointed joint managers. I have even seen toddy in an interview state that he "didn't quite get the job" straight away. I think toddy made life difficult for roy and roy did the honourable thing by walking away. Doesn't stop me loving him as a player and if we had just had a decent interview about that, then that would have been ok. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived