Perspective

Comrade 86

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

All the best buddy. As per the thread title, it puts it all into perspective. Know how you're feeling. My wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer today resulting in five months of chemo followed by surgery. Let's hope the Rams get promoted which will give her a double celebration in the summer (if only she was a football fan).

A good friend has come through breast cancer mate. Keep positive, stay strong and don't forget to look after yourself. Its often the case that our own health suffers when we spend all our energy and strength looking after and worrying about our loved ones. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/12/2018 at 21:15, Tamworthram said:

All the best buddy. As per the thread title, it puts it all into perspective. Know how you're feeling. My wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer today resulting in five months of chemo followed by surgery. Let's hope the Rams get promoted which will give her a double celebration in the summer (if only she was a football fan).

Really sorry to hear that mate. I hope the lads can lift your spirits tonight and beyond and that things go well with your good lady's treatment. 

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on the old boy. Scan results today were good. Localised with no spread so prognosis pretty decent. Has some pain in his shoulder which the hospital want to scan - pretty sure it's just a precautionary measure though. Poor dad - he's had that many scans now he probably glows in the dark. Has to undergo 4 weeks of radiotherapy which he's obviously not looking forward to but I think he's more pissed off that he won't be playing any golf than anything else. Not really sure what it entails so will be swatting up a bit tonight. Mum had chemo so know a bit about that but not radiotherapy. Fingers crossed then, it's all looking as positive as can be expected. Thanks again to everyone who posted wishing him well. Much obliged. 

• 4 months later...

Quick bump on this. After what was a pretty emotional week anyway, the old boy has just called me. He had his last radiotherapy session yesterday and while we won't get conclusive news for another month or so, his blood tests were really positive. I kind of lost it when he told me so the rest of the convo is a bit of a blur but dad's in good spirits and hopefully out of the woods. I'll send a last update once (god willing) he's had the official all clear. 

Anyway, just wanted to say a massive thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. The support really did mean a lot. Gonna leave this now as I've been absurdly emotional all week anyway and will probs make a tit of myself if I say anymore ?

On 18/05/2019 at 16:48, 86 points said:

Quick bump on this. After what was a pretty emotional week anyway, the old boy has just called me. He had his last radiotherapy session yesterday and while we won't get conclusive news for another month or so, his blood tests were really positive. I kind of lost it when he told me so the rest of the convo is a bit of a blur but dad's in good spirits and hopefully out of the woods. I'll send a last update once (god willing) he's had the official all clear. 

Anyway, just wanted to say a massive thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. The support really did mean a lot. Gonna leave this now as I've been absurdly emotional all week anyway and will probs make a tit of myself if I say anymore ?

Brilliant news mate. Keep us updated.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, what is, I hope, a final bump on this thread!

The old boy has finally been give the all-clear. His PSA readings have dropped from 29 to 2.7 over the course of his radiotherapy sessions so it's pretty much the best result we could have hoped for. He'll have to undergo checks for a few years yet and will continue hormone treatments until they get his PSA down to comfortably below the 2.0 mark, but the side efffects from radiotherapy are already receding and he's in great spirits and already back on the golf course!

A massive, massive thank you to you lot for all the positive posts and support given. I have really struggled at times with the whole thing and as such, the kindness shown to me was a big help and greatly appreciated. There are a few topics on here dealing with uncomfortable subjects and they clearly illustrate what a wonderful core of folk there is at the heart of this forum. It's something I won't forget.

9 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

The old boy has finally been give the all-clear. His PSA readings have dropped from 29 to 2.7 over the course of his radiotherapy sessions so it's pretty much the best result we could have hoped for. He'll have to undergo checks for a few years yet and will continue hormone treatments until they get his PSA down to comfortably below the 2.0 mark, but the side efffects from radiotherapy are already receding and he's in great spirits and already back on the golf course!

A massive, massive thank you to you lot for all the positive posts and support given. I have really struggled at times with the whole thing and as such, the kindness shown to me was a big help and greatly appreciated. There are a few topics on here dealing with uncomfortable subjects and they clearly illustrate what a wonderful core of folk there is at the heart of this forum. It's something I won't forget.

Cracking news. Happy for you.

5 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Really fantastic news. Your recent posting absence had concerned me in truth as I had wondered if not all was well in respect of this matter.  Long live 86 Points Senior.

Archived