England v Croatia

froggg

I guess this is the 'League Cup' of International Football (or perhaps the Community Shield, as that is essentially a friendly).  Not exactly a priority, not the end of the world if you get 'relegated' and is really just a (good) way of making friendlies a bit more meaningful.  However, if you're in it, you may as well try to win it and take it seriously.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I guess this is the 'League Cup' of International Football (or perhaps the Community Shield, as that is essentially a friendly).  Not exactly a priority, not the end of the world if you get 'relegated' and is really just a (good) way of making friendlies a bit more meaningful.  However, if you're in it, you may as well try to win it and take it seriously.

Well if we don't qualify in the normal way for Euro 2020 it also gives us a second chance to qualify, so not completely meaningless. 

Great win for England.

Winning the Nations League would be a great shot in the arm for these players and inspire them to have greater success.

More than anything I am excited for the lads that they get a lovely summer trip to northern Portugal. It’s amazing here.

I recently moved to Porto for work and it’s an incredible city.

The boys will love it here.

32 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Uni exams finish that week so we’d better make the final, Portugal trip may be in order

1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

You’re prepared, don’t even want to think of exams yet.

Proper  preparation avoids p is s poor performance ?? good luck both of you.

2 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

When Southgate was appointed I honestly thought it was a joke.

Bloody hell I'm so glad I'm just another armchair fan who thinks he knows more than he does.

Gareth has been brilliant and it's not just cos we've topped the group.

He's refreshing, he's got us playing a style of football most of ushave never seen England play.

He's bringing through youth every chance he gets and he's really got a sense of togetherness building.

It's the first time in years I've been interested enough to change plans to make sure I'm in to watch the match. He's got me liking international football again at a time I'd long since give up.

Fair play and thanks!!

You and me both @ronnieronalde. I honestly thought he was just a 'yes man' appointment.

Was my first international game in 8 years today and I've really got the bug again. 

Not seen Wembley buzzing like it was today since 1996.

3 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Lingard channelled his inner Dave Nugent to finish from a yard out.

Deserved the win for sure. Bar about 5 minutes, Croatia looked distinctly average.

Can't believe the stick Sterling gets.

Rashford impressed before he got a knock.

Delph excellent first half.

Chilwell didn't look great if we're looking for a scapegoat, but was 5 or 6/10.

Good job Kane scored because he was anonymous until then. Don't like him playing as this false number 10 he seems to have decided he is for England and Tottenham.

TBH if we're looking for a scapegoat I'd prefer it to be Dier. 

Great to qualify - don't care what the tournament is, it'd be great to win it. The Croats were looking to win tonight and whoever else gets to the semis in Portugal will be looking to win - the competition will be 'real'. #COYL

28 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

TBH if we're looking for a scapegoat I'd prefer it to be Dier. 

Great to qualify - don't care what the tournament is, it'd be great to win it. The Croats were looking to win tonight and whoever else gets to the semis in Portugal will be looking to win - the competition will be 'real'. #COYL

We aren't Looking for a scapegoat. 

33 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I thought Dier was good.

I didn't think anyone was crap.

I'll point out that others thought Dier was 'not as good as the other England players'. Whether you rate that as crap is down to you - he ranks bottom of the player ratings!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46254035

He contributed little to the win and perhaps more to their goal - what a poor attempt at stopping the shot.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'll point out that others thought Dier was 'not as good as the other England players'. Whether you rate that as crap is down to you - he ranks bottom of the player ratings!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46254035

He contributed little to the win and perhaps more to their goal - what a poor attempt at stopping the shot.

I don’t really care what others thought. I don’t feel the need to follow the herd. 

What I will say though is that in a team game of 11 v 11, everyone needs to contribute to a win over the World Cup runners up. ‘Crap’ doesn’t get you very far.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don’t really care what others thought. I don’t feel the need to follow the herd. 

What I will say though is that in a team game of 11 v 11, everyone needs to contribute to a win over the World Cup runners up. ‘Crap’ doesn’t get you very far.

No, crap makes it harder for the other 10. Dier wasn't worth his place.

So pleased you don't feel the need to follow the herd. Make me wonder why you bother exchanging your precious thoughts with us herd-dwellers, thanks though.

Archived