Derby Road Works

Sith Happens

Its it everywhere or does Derby just have a bad record for Road Works?

Go back a couple of years or so and the debacle at Little Eaton when work stopped because they failed to find the crayfish during a site survey.

The traffic lights at Kingsway island that remain switched off because they cause carnage.

The A52 road works currently underway that no ones knows when they will be finished and costs have doubled from 15 million to 30+ million.

The Alfreton Road road closure causing congestion and no work commenced because of arguments between the council and severn trent who is going to pay. Now just opened the road one way but wont ease congestion coming out of Derby at the busiest time of the year. The cost of £750k will probably be small compared with money lost by businesses in and around Derby. They now say work will commence but might get delayed because of bad weather...well why not start it when it happened in August when there was less chance of bad weather?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Its it everywhere or does Derby just have a bad record for Road Works?

Go back a couple of years or so and the debacle at Little Eaton when work stopped because they failed to find the crayfish during a site survey.

The traffic lights at Kingsway island that remain switched off because they cause carnage.

The A52 road works currently underway that no ones knows when they will be finished and costs have doubled from 15 million to 30+ million.

The Alfreton Road road closure causing congestion and no work commenced because of arguments between the council and severn trent who is going to pay. Now just opened the road one way but wont ease congestion coming out of Derby at the busiest time of the year. The cost of £750k will probably be small compared with money lost by businesses in and around Derby. They now say work will commence but might get delayed because of bad weather...well why not start it when it happened in August when there was less chance of bad weather?

I am not sure what the work involves on Alfreton Road but I believe it is on a railway bridge. If access Is required on to Network Rail land and then work required on structures it may take a lot of preparation. It sounds like the bridge neaded inspecting first which may have needed a window when the trains aren’t running. I can remember the other year some work on London Road was carried out on Christmas Day and Boxing Day because they were the only days trains weren’t running. 

So Network Rail have a duty of care to protect anyone working within their land. I suspect this was not a case of Derby Highways ringing up and Network Rail said get on with it.

A couple of things that surprised me was that the road is closed but I assume trains are still running and how on half of the bridge is safe but the other isn’t. Add to that the bridge is over 100 years old and may have some preservation order on it and it may not be a modern everyday repair that’s required.

As for the Cray fish for saying they are endangered they seem to crop up everywhere.

The A52 work looks quite a big job.

They (the council) couldn’t decide the best way to repair the bridge.  The masssive amount of water has flooded through the structure and washed a lot of the fill and pointing out.

The structural engineers have rightly asked for ground radar investigators and they have reported that there aren’t as many voids in the bridge as first thought.

Ive had dealings with council red tape and engineers making decisions and its a hair pulling experience I can tell you.

As said before, in bound access over the bridge is now open. Out bound remains closed until the council can get works completed via possession of the railway between sat nights and Sunday mornings.

It’ll take a while yet, and the worst PR of it all is the line was closed for a good while while the initial Problem started.

seven Trent did their repairs pretty quick to be honest.

The bridge is grade 2 listed too which is good and bad in different ways.

I work on Alfretron Road, we had a letter through about it opening one way. 

Cant remember the exact details, but apparently theres an 18 week wait to get permission from Network Rail to work on railway lines.

Its a bit crap getting about there at the minute but hopefully opening it one way will help.

Just wait until this kicks off in a few years, good luck getting anywhere!

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/projects/a38-Derby-junctions/

Council have dug up the same 30 yard stretch near The Hollybrook in Heatherton 4 times so far this year resulting in 3 way traffic lights. 

Beyond the obvious stupidity of that in itself, it's the way they appear to wait until the schools are back before digging it up again, seemingly just to cause more havok.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Not bloody open still!!

30th is the new date, don’t hold your breath.

Big surprise.

Also was thinking, its only going to be open one way. Why can't they have it one way going into Derby from say 5am to 3pm then the other way after that? Or would that be too easy?

43 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Big surprise.

Also was thinking, its only going to be open one way. Why can't they have it one way going into Derby from say 5am to 3pm then the other way after that? Or would that be too easy?

It would create a nightmare, staff would have to place road closed signs up at various times, drivers wouldn’t know the times and drive up and create gridlock, some idiot would try and go the wrong way too.

Its all a sorry mess init.

5 minutes ago, Boycie said:

It would create a nightmare, staff would have to place road closed signs up at various times, drivers wouldn’t know the times and drive up and create gridlock, some idiot would try and go the wrong way too.

Its all a sorry mess init.

Well what about traffic lights? Set to allow the flow of traffic for longer going one way or another depending on the time if day. 

3 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Well what about traffic lights? Set to allow the flow of traffic for longer going one way or another depending on the time if day. 

They won’t risk the traffic lights making queues tail back onto the pektron island and causing gridlock.

Thats twice I’ve used gridlock, I’m looking for a hat trick.

Not technically Derbyshire, but just outside, but they seem to have been working on junction 23a (or is it 24, the one at kehworth anyway), for bloody ages. Every time I go to Loughborough and come back to Derby, the a50 seems to be closed and I’ve got to go a stupidly long way around. 

Newark has been really bad for the last year. From Feb to July, there were multiple sets of major works and a large section of the town closed to road traffic while they ugraded the sewers, which had a big effect on local businesses.

In addition to this, one of the main roads in & out to the East was closed for 3-4 months earlier in the year, reopened for a few weeks, only to be closed off again for the last 3 months.

The main road in/out to the South has had a long section of temporary lights for over a year now. It moves around a bit but shows no sign of being finished.

Several other smaller sets of roadworks have also started up in the last couple of weeks, in various locations.

So, to answer the OP question....it's not just Derby.

Archived