Derby County - best, most famous team in England

Everton - the acceptable face of Scouse

Fulham - nice ground, nice pubs, nice club

Leeds United - see Chelsea x100

Liverpool - Everton need a rival

Manchester City - they were a proper club once

Manchester United - obviously

Middlesbrough - most archetypal northern town

Newcastle United - most archetypal northern city, plus SHEARER!

Nottingham Forest - someone's got to be relegated

Southampton - filler

Sheffield United - Wednesday need a Derby

Sheffield Wednesday - the original MASSIVE club. Good away fans.

Sunderland - most archetypal northern city, sans SHEARER!

Tottenham Hotspur - good but not too good

West Bromwich Albion - filler

West Ham United - Media friendly filler

Wolverhampton Wanderers - good kit, good ground, good support - we need to lose away religiously to one of these teams.

Arsenal can be in there when they've been promoted through the leagues the correct way.

Pompey, Norwich, Ipswich and Leicester would be allowed in should they be promoted, but only if their rivals were also in the league, otherwise they are pointless.

6 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

The teams that should be in the top flight are the teams that are in there now. They have all earned the right, no one else has. 

That's not what the OP was asking. He asked "by fanbase, history, success or whichever merits who choose as denoting the “biggest clubs” - “should” make up the Premier League?"

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's not what the OP was asking. He asked "by fanbase, history, success or whichever merits who choose as denoting the “biggest clubs” - “should” make up the Premier League?"

Yep i know and the “biggest clubs” are the 20 in there now. You can’t go by history or we would be looking around for a team called “The Wednesday” and PNE would have to be in it along with 23 others who have all won It  and don’t get started on the teams that have come runners up..!

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Yep i know and the “biggest clubs” are the 20 in there now. You can’t go by history or we would be looking around for a team called “The Wednesday” and PNE would have to be in it along with 23 others who have all won It  and don’t get started on the teams that have come runners up..!

The OP specifically covered this to avoid this debate.

He understands everybody who is there deserves to be there. 

On 15/11/2018 at 08:56, Ghost of Clough said:

Top 20 in average league position over the last 50 years (prior to the end of the 16/17 season) says ...

<snip>

Derby

<snip>

Looks like a solid top division to me. We could expand it to 24 teams to include both Sheffield clubs, Wolves and Birmingham (although they didn't place in the top 24 over the 50 year period).

I would suggest we are serously over indexed, a bit like Andy Murray keeping his number one spot, and as the years progress our offerings over the last 25 years certainly do not match those of the first 25. I'd guess if we ran that table in a few years time we'd find ourselves out of it.

I'd argue that if you asked most people under 30 to run their estimate of that table you'd see more chance of names like Portsmouth, Wigan, Boro or Bolton in there before us.

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

The OP specifically covered this to avoid this debate.

He understands everybody who is there deserves to be there. 

I was Skyping my Dad yesterday and, as usual, the topic turned to football and my Dad jokingly said he hated Bournemouth because they are “where we should be”. Now, he didn’t mean it as clubs are generally were they are on merit (or at least how wisely they invest their money), but it got me thinking; who are the twenty clubs - by fanbase, history, success or whichever merits who choose as denoting the “biggest clubs” - “should” make up the Premier League?

No, the original post said " who are the "biggest clubs" by whichever merits you choose as denoting the "biggest clubs" "

I choose to use the old fashioned formula that the biggest clubs are the teams in the highest league....

3 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I was Skyping my Dad yesterday and, as usual, the topic turned to football and my Dad jokingly said he hated Bournemouth because they are “where we should be”. Now, he didn’t mean it as clubs are generally were they are on merit (or at least how wisely they invest their money), but it got me thinking; who are the twenty clubs - by fanbase, history, success or whichever merits who choose as denoting the “biggest clubs” - “should” make up the Premier League?

No, the original post said " who are the "biggest clubs" by whichever merits you choose as denoting the "biggest clubs" "

I choose to use the old fashioned formula that the biggest clubs are the teams in the highest league....

In 2012/13, who were bigger - Rangers or St Johnstone? Obviously St Johnstone by your reasoning...

On 30/11/2018 at 00:41, MuespachRam said:

The teams that should be in the top flight are the teams that are in there now. They have all earned the right, no one else has. 

Apart from arsenal 

On 30/11/2018 at 17:03, MuespachRam said:

Yes but that old fashioned formula is utter ********, the biggest clubs aren’t the teams in the highest league. They are the best teams currently arguably, but they’re not the biggest. The biggest teams are the teams with the biggest fan base, most global appeal, and historical significance.

Archived